Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
AIOs are just not cutout for this kind of heat because the pump and res are so small and not strong enough to keep pumping. Also AIOs have crappy tubing, bad liquid (with added anti corrosive materials), the tubes are thin and the rads are of low quality, they just can't move cold liquid around fast enough. These HEDT CPUs are really high wattage CPUs and their spikes are crazy even if you leave everything on default. They can go from idle 25w to 250w+ in a second when you put it through its paces. Changing the fans on the AIO will not really help, maybe give you 1c-4c of gain? I dunno. I just stopped buying AIOs. You're basically trying to cool a Ferrari with a Toyota Corolla cooling system.

You can try connecting the 3 fans on the AIO rad directly to the mobo with pwm splitters and run at full speed, but it will be SUPER loud to see at least how low of temps you can get. The NF-F12 get really loud FYI. The AIO pump just sucks, its a tiny motor. I think AIOs are fine if you have a consumer CPU like a 10900k running at default settings, but even those CPUs get crazy hot if you start OCing.

Honestly it doesn't make sense getting a 10980XE and not overclocking, there's just so much potential and headroom with these CPUs. My whole system just feel so snappy with the overclock and it was super easy. Just have to make sure you have good cooling is all.

This might be my last PC I ever built though, I just don't have the energy to deal with it haha.

Is there any AIO that's even worth it's weight in considering for this chip? I sadly won't overclock it. I just want low maintenance as my work keeps me so busy. Too much screen time as is without having to spend more time tweaking LOL

Also, with all the PVM headers on the board (as I stated in my post above), I don't need splitters right? Like is there a reason I should be using splitters?

My Sage 10G has 5 PWM fan connectors & 2 PWM pump connectors (one is AIO & the other W_pump +). Should I just put my rad fans on those? (most likely the 3 fans would go on: CPU FAN, CPU FAN_OPT & & M2_FAN) and the pump would go on AIO.

Instead of using the splitter (I'm using the one that came w/ my fractal case, but I think it's not giving me accurate reads in the BIOS- these fans are allegedly limited to 1600 each, but it's reporting 2000 RPM). My rad is top mounted exhausting air from the top.

Forgive my rad ignorance, I'm a serious n00b in this arena.

Just connect the AIO connector to your CPU_FAN or whatever its called and then separately connect your 3x rad fans to the PWM connectors either with a splitter or separately. Don't need to use W_PUMP+ or CPU FAN_OPT.

You might also need to make sure there's clean air coming into the system for airflow from the front so the rad gets clean air and then exhaust the air through the rad and out from the top of the case. Crank up the front fans for intake. If you have a single 120mm put in dual 140mms or 3 120mms in front.

I would mount the fans below the rad and so they are pushing air out through the rad.

Just connect the AIO connector to your CPU_FAN or whatever its called and then separately connect your 3x rad fans to the PWM connectors either with a splitter or separately. Don't need to use W_PUMP+ or CPU FAN_OPT.

You might also need to make sure there's clean air coming into the system for airflow from the front so the rad gets clean air and then exhaust the air through the rad and out from the top of the case. Crank up the front fans for intake. If you have a single 120mm put in dual 140mms or 3 120mms in front.

I would mount the fans below the rad and so they are pushing air out through the rad.

Yeah, the fans are below the rad. There's an actual AIO connector, shouldn't I use that?

Is there any AIO that's even worth it's weight in considering for this chip? I sadly won't overclock it. I just want low maintenance as my work keeps me so busy. Too much screen time as is without having to spend more time tweaking LOL

Also, with all the PVM headers on the board (as I stated in my post above), I don't need splitters right? Like is there a reason I should be using splitters?

Maybe something like an Alphacool Eisbar? They have various models. I have tried the EKWB Phoenix which is now discontinued but it's a similar idea off being a closed loop using quick connect and the pumps are much better than regular AIOs. It's all filled and ready to go and you can even add GPUs to the loop with a simple quick connect.

Haven't done enough research on the newer Extreme model, but it looks good with 2x140mm fans and a VERY thick rad. See if they have other models and look for reviews. These are the closest you'll get with a custom waterloop without going custom waterloop.

Yeah, the fans are below the rad. There's an actual AIO connector, shouldn't I use that?

No need to use AIO connector. CPU_FAN is more than enough because the thermals from the CPU are read and fed to the CPU_FAN first in the bios (so it increases/decreases fan speeds automatically), but you can configure all that in the BIOS if you need to make it different, but leaving it default is fine.

No need to use AIO connector. CPU_FAN is more than enough because the thermals from the CPU are read and fed to the CPU_FAN first in the bios (so it increases/decreases fan speeds automatically), but you can configure all that in the BIOS if you need to make it different, but leaving it default is fine.

Going to attempt these changes quick and I'll report back here.

So I understand this, increasing the AVX negative offset is lighter on the processor, and setting them lower or to 0 is essentially slamming it. I am getting this right?

Going to attempt these changes quick and I'll report back here.

So I understand this, increasing the AVX negative offset is lighter on the processor, and setting them lower or to 0 is essentially slamming it. I am getting this right?

Kind of yea. I think each -1 negative is -100Mhz when AVX is being used. So -3 for example would be -300MHz off the AVX workload.

If your CPU is executing AVX instructions it will operate at lower frequency.

So you can basically sync all cores to lets say 4.5GHz (If you have good cooling) and offset AVX to not hit crazy amounts. I personally use 3/2 offset and 45x multiplier cuz of my watercooling.

Just leave everything at 0/0 for now and test to see where you go. And don't use Sync All Cores because you lack watercooling. Plus you don't want to overclock.

If the menu entry says "negative offset," then you enter in positive values to ease the AVX stress on your CPU. It might let you enter a small negative amount here; that's the opposite of what's desired.

Kind of yea. I think each -1 negative is -100Mhz when AVX is being used. So -3 for example would be -300MHz off the AVX workload.

So you can basically sync all cores to lets say 4.5GHz (If you have good cooling) and offset AVX to not hit crazy amounts. I personally use 3/2 offset and 45x multiplier cuz of my watercooling.

Just leave everything at 0/0 for now and test to see where you go. And don't use Sync All Cores because you lack watercooling. Plus you don't want to overclock.

So before I changed any fan stuff, I disabled sync all cores and set it to auto. Have my AVX set to 3 & 2 on both

Stressing the CPU and it doesn't get over 68 C ... which is marked improvement, but we're locked at 3.8 on all cores. Now I tweak I guess. (I'm using yes > /dev/null to test in terminal quick between reboots)

So I'm curious, if I set this to auto and set my max to say 44 with the 3,2 AVX offset, what should I set the minimum to? I'm assuming 8 (which is the lowest it allows).

Again, I haven't messed w/ a BIOS like this in over a decade and I never was one for overclocking.

Also, should I try By Core Usage or just stick w/ auto to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back