Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need the -no_compat_check when installing off USB? Mine stops at the end of the kernel pre boot EB.

Do you need the -no_compat_check when installing off USB? Mine stops at the end of the kernel pre boot EB.

No, but you need the correct ACPI and config file in the EFI on the USB stick.

No, but you need the correct ACPI and config file in the EFI on the USB stick.

I am using the files from the SAGE Big Sur thread, mine is the SAGE II maybe I need to tune down settings in the OP Config.plist for it to just install. Since the SAGE II should have the MSR lock option fixed maybe I need to remove the SSDT-AWAC.aml if MSR is unlocked or will this ACPI file cause issues if not needed? I will remove all Properties Add in's to see if anything there is causing it and if none of these steps works I will create a new installer.

I am using the files from the SAGE Big Sur thread, mine is the SAGE II maybe I need to tune down settings in the OP Config.plist for it to just install. Since the SAGE II should have the MSR lock option fixed maybe I need to remove the SSDT-AWAC.aml if MSR is unlocked or will this ACPI file cause issues if not needed? I will remove all Properties Add in's to see if anything there is causing it and if none of these steps works I will create a new installer.

AWAC is still required on latest bioses because ASUS added a new device or something. To boot correctly, just make sure you have all the required Kexts, drivers and ACPI and your config file is correctly set up.

I don't have experience with Big Sur yet, so I can't comment. Still on Catalina.

AWAC is still required on latest bioses because ASUS added a new device or something. To boot correctly, just make sure you have all the required Kexts, drivers and ACPI and your config file is correctly set up.

I don't have experience with Big Sur yet, so I can't comment. Still on Catalina.

I am trying to install Catalina actually and its just stops at the last EB message doesn't reboot nothing just stops.

So I have my 9900X in my build running Mojave 10.14.6 and finally... 271 days after I ordered it, my 10980XE is FINALLY coming LOL.

So right now, my IOCPUNumber is set to 19 (for a 10-core) and on my Asus Sage WS X299 Sage/10G my BIOS is 0905.

So if I understand this correctly, before I shut down, I leave the BIOS as is, and change the IOCPUNumber to 35? I don't want to brick things.

So I have my 9900X in my build running Mojave 10.14.6 and finally... 271 days after I ordered it, my 10980XE is FINALLY coming LOL.

So right now, my IOCPUNumber is set to 19 (for a 10-core) and on my Asus Sage WS X299 Sage/10G my BIOS is 0905.

So if I understand this correctly, before I shut down, I leave the BIOS as is, and change the IOCPUNumber to 35? I don't want to brick things.

Yes change the IOCPUNumber to 35, and I think you need at least BIOS 2002 for 10980xe support. If you're on a higher BIOS (don't recommend 3101), then you need SSDT-AWAC or SSDT-RTC0.aml.

Yes change the IOCPUNumber to 35, and I think you need at least BIOS 2002 for 10980xe support. If you're on a higher BIOS (don't recommend 3101), then you need SSDT-AWAC or SSDT-RTC0.aml.

According to the ASUS firmware list:

Version 09052019/01/079.52 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G Formal BIOS 0905 Release
1. Support Skylake-X Refresh for WS X299 series
2. Improve System Performance.
3. Updated IRSTe to version 5.5.0.1028.
4. Update Skl-X CPU XMP Support up to 4333

--

After this release, the only mention of any potential processor changes is in BIOS version: 3203 which states:

Version 32032020/08/1710.15 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G BIOS 3203
"1.Update Intel ME firmware
2.Update Intel Microcode
3.Improve system performance
4.Improve DRAM performance and compatibility

According to the website for BIOS version: 2002 there's no mention of any new processor support:

Version 20022019/10/189.68 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G BIOS 2002 release.
Improve system performance.

---

So technically with the 1st point on 0905 I should be ok to put the 10980XE in. Hope I'm right, if anybody can chime in on this, that'd be awesome, thanks!

According to the ASUS firmware list:

Version 09052019/01/079.52 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G Formal BIOS 0905 Release
1. Support Skylake-X Refresh for WS X299 series
2. Improve System Performance.
3. Updated IRSTe to version 5.5.0.1028.
4. Update Skl-X CPU XMP Support up to 4333

--

After this release, the only mention of any potential processor changes is in BIOS version: 3203 which states:

Version 32032020/08/1710.15 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G BIOS 3203
"1.Update Intel ME firmware
2.Update Intel Microcode
3.Improve system performance
4.Improve DRAM performance and compatibility

According to the website for BIOS version: 2002 there's no mention of any new processor support:

Version 20022019/10/189.68 MBytes
WS X299 SAGE/10G BIOS 2002 release.
Improve system performance.

---

So technically with the 1st point on 0905 I should be ok to put the 10980XE in. Hope I'm right, if anybody can chime in on this, that'd be awesome, thanks!

No you will need the latest BIOS because 10980XE requires a microcode update. Skylake-X has been refreshed twice already.

You can use 3101 with Apple Logo here or get the one from ASUS directly (which has the ASUS logo, but same BIOS)

No you will need the latest BIOS because 10980XE requires a microcode update. Skylake-X has been refreshed twice already.

You can use 3101 with Apple Logo here or get the one from ASUS directly (which has the ASUS logo, but same BIOS)

Will the firmware update require any changes on the OS side or will things just continue to work after applying it? I'm always fearful of changing much on my working machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back