Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Sonoma support

Well in MacOs your Thunderbolt card will likely not work as it should. Have a look at this thread if you haven't already https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thunderbolt-3-modified-firmware-custom-ssdt-discussion.293279/

My Tb card needed Apple firmware flashed onto it to unlock all features. If you're not using a Tb display then it's not critical. In my case I went through the process of flashing the Titaln Ridge last summer - once I got it working as it should I took it out and put it away - was going to sell it as I didn't need all of its features .... until I bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display. Attached is a screenshot of the Thunderbolt Device under Apple System Report:

I've been building hacks for a while now and spent long hours tinkering. I now have a Mac that is as near native as I can get, every device attached works including the 10G Ethernet Ports (which required flashing). In terms of support IMO there is far more on here and other sites and one rarely needs to pose a question that hasn't already been answered somewhere. In terms of usability I find Apple so much nicer than Windows to the point where I rarely boot into Windows for anything.
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 19.19.08.png

I get you. I think one of the main benefits of the ATD is in terms of the connectivity you get through the Tb connector. One single cable carries Sound, USB, Ethernet, Firewire and Thunderbolt ports. But I'd have bought the Apple Cinema Display if could have got one for the cheap price I paid for the Thunderbolt Display. Now I have it I am happy because of the upgradeability it offers...my next major purchase will be a 5K Apple Studio Display which is Thunderbolt ....when I can find a used one cheap enough.
Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
i upgraded to sonoma last night. it runs so far so good.

but i will auto wake up from sleep status, macOS Ventura doesn’t have such issue, anyone can help?

thanks

Also trying to do a native clean Sonoma install with an ASUS X299 Prime II. Using Opencore configurator/EFI builder and stuck at EXITBS:START. Any tips?

UPDATE: i have managed to get the answers elsewhere so no need to reply.

I am trying to fallow this guide:

Here are the steps to using OCLP to get wifi functionality back including Airdrop/Handoff etc.

1. In the config plist under boot args disable AMFI (Apple Mobile File Integrity) by adding the boot arg amfi=0x80 and the kext referred to below.

2. Add the following Kexts: IOSkywalk.kext, FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext and AMFIPass.kext. Note these kexts are for the 4260 chipset, you may need different ones depending on your BT/wifi card. Remove any wifi or bluetooth kexts other than these that you were using previously.

3. In NVRAM under Kernel / Delete make an entry for com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily - make sure it's set to True and Exclude. Relax SIP by setting the csr-active-confgi to 03080000 and as per the Opencore guide under Delete add csr-active-config. Under boot arg add amfi=0x80. Reboot.

4. Open OCLP. Click on Post Install and patch. Remember that SIP has been relaxed to allow untrusted kexts / unrestricted filesystem and unauthenticated root ...so will never be as secure as a sealed macOS volume. Partial updates won't work so to update to later versions of Sonoma you'll have to download the full installer which will mean that you'll have to apply the OCL patch again to get wifi back.

So far i manage to follow the steps, apart from where it states:
3. In NVRAM under Kernel / Delete make an entry for com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily - make sure it's set to True and Exclude.

What does that mean, i don´t know where to put it or how to make it true / exclude.

Can anyone show me a picture of the entry or describe how?

Last edited:
Back