Contribute
Register

ASUS X-299 Deluxe II - Thunderbolt Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanoMac

Banned
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello dear Community,

im planning to build a new Hackintosh that is going to be used in a music studio.

I've read so far that Thunderbolt is the biggest problem for a hackintosh build.

Following many threads on that issue - User constantly reported that there are problems.

This thread seems to be the most successful one: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/

In there, the chipset X-299 is stated as fully supported. I read that the Titan Ridge Chipset for thunderbolt currently available with a Gigabyte Extension card shall work best.

I contacted ASUS and they stated that they will release an updated version of the PRIME X299-DELUXE within the next couple of days *including* thunderbolt with titan ridge: Asus X 299 Deluxe II

* This Board is brand new - released in dec 2018*

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II/

Has anybody got there hands on that, has heard from that? Can anybody agree or confirm that this would be the best available option? Was there any out of the box thunderbolt chipset working on a motherboard?

Titan Ridge is as far as i understand it - the chipset for thunderbolt used in Mac Pros? Correct?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the hint. I will study this once I get started. But the question was more about the new board from ASUS that sould contain the TITAN RIDGE chipset onboard and how well this works *out of the box* or with the methods described in your forum hint above.

Mail from Asus:
PRIME X299-DELUXE II.
It support 2 Type C Thunderbolt ports with latest Titan Ridge chip onboard.

there is no "out of the box" support for Thunderbolt.
You will always have to tinker a bit with things and use a custom SSDT.
The Guide I linked, describes very detailed how to get everything up and running. So if you follow the guide ( he uses the some MOBO) you should get everything running.

Sure - I'm aware.
I meant, getting it running, keeping it stable - without buying an extra card - I call this "out of the (hackintosh) box".

Are there any experiences with mac USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters concerning thunderbolt sound card connections?

He uses the old version. I'm curious about the DELUXE II which is hopefully available in a couple of days here in germany.
he uses the some MOBO

i do want do buy one x299 deluxe II to build a new hackintosh osx.

hope everything works including the TB3 port.

anyone alreay done this build and pls share your EFI folder lol.

thanks in advance.

i do want do buy one x299 deluxe II to build a new hackintosh osx.

hope everything works including the TB3 port.

anyone alreay done this build and pls share your EFI folder lol.

thanks in advance.

Same here - i'm waiting for some feedback as I have no idea if the TB3 Ports will be accessible. As far as I have understood all this - the TB Firmware needed to be flashed before - and now - with this on the board? Is this even possible? The board is very expensive compared to other boards - for me TB would be the only reason.
But as my MOTU 8M Soundcard is connected via TB - it is the most important feature

i build up my new PC today (i9-9920X + Asus X299 Deluxe II).

first thanks @kgp for his great guide.

but seems Deluxe II is so different from Deluxe I, i cannot make the TB3 port to work neither show the full details in System informaction -> PCI

not working list:
2 x Intel Thunderbolt 3
Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN
(wifi 9260 + bt5.0)

wake up from sleep, all the fans will go to full speed....not sure how the solve it.

attach my clover config and the pure ioreg + DSDT for your reference.

deluxe II mb info.png
TB3.png

Attachments

• iMac Pro.ioreg.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 219
  • config.plist.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 253
  • DSDT.aml.zip
    28.8 KB · Views: 248
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back