Motherboard
AsusTeK COMPUTER INC. X510UF
CPU
i5 8250U
Graphics
MX130
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, I have got an Asus Vivobook S510 laptop and I'm trying to install MacOS Catalina (or Mojave but I write here to not create a re-post). I struggle a lot these days and finally yesterday I instelled Mojave but after the first boot it died (many things worked like battery life, USB, integrated graphics). So someone could help me to fix the config.plist or the DSDT (if the problem is there)? I read a lot of thread without came to a solution. My goal is just to use it to develop with xCode, so I can install Mojave even if Catalina would be better. I don't care if i need to use external USB mouse (I already use it because trackpad is I2C and it didn't work) or bluetooh or integrated wifi is not working (I will use USB theatering like on my Desktop Hackintosh), ext...

I read the FAQ to post correctly the problem reporting. I hope to do it well. If I miss something, I will provide all information needed.

System Info (collected with CPU-Z):

MainBoard AsusTek Computer Ink:
- Model: Asus Vivobook S510
- Chipset: Intel Kaby Lake rev. 08
- Southbridge: Intel Coffee Lake-U/Y PCH rev. 21
- Bios version: .303

CPU Intel Core I5 [email protected]:
- Code-Name: Kaby Lake-U/Y

Memory: 8GB RAM DDR4

Storage: M.2 256GB (with windows) + Samsung EVO 850 256GB (I want to use this SSD)

Graphics: UHD620 + MX13

Clover used: Clover v2.5k_r5098 with EFI installation (EFI/Clover folder attached)

For the scripts asked in the FAQ section, I can't run them because the system don't start anymore.

I think that the problem is with config that I used because I followed this guide https://github.com/tctien342/Asus-Vivobook-S510UA-High-Sierra-10.13-Hackintosh that is for a similar laptop and first of all for High Sierra

Thank you a lot!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Follow this guide. It's not mentioned in the Wiki but it does support S510. Without tweaking everything should work.

Make sure that you are using the latest BIOS. Also if I remember correctly one step is missing from the guide: Extracting your DSDT with Clover F4.

Amazing! It worked perfectly (also the trackpad and gestures)!

The only problem is a little battery drain (I lose 1% of battery every 2-3 minutes). To be honest I have skipped this step: Extracting your DSDT with Clover F4 because, sorry, but I don't understand what to do. I tried to search on internet but I still don't understand. Sorry, I'm a newbie :(

If it is important I can reinstall everything, but could you give me more detail about Clover F4?

BTW thanks a lot! Your link saved me!

Nice! :)

Yeah, the power management is always problem on Hackintosh. There are guides in the forum about how to implement native power management. (I cannot link right know. On a phone, and hurry.

Clover is the bootloader what you are using. When you start your notebook you should see the Clocer bootscreen. You only had to push F4 (on some laptops Fn+F4 if swapped) and the clover extracts your native DSDT. And you are done but actually I’m not even sure that this step is necessary.

You still have to take care about a few things like the correct SMBIOS implementation (there is a guide somewhere), messing with the numpad (if you have one), check the audiojack, etc.

If I were you I would download Clover Configurator and Clone the whole Clover to to a flash drive so during the experimenting phase if you kill the system you will be able to boot from that flashdrive. Also I would only install the new kexts - if you need any - to the Clover/kexts/Others folder.

There is a “Zenbook guide with Clover hotpatch” topic somewhere where you can find hieplpvip who made the guide I linked. His name is baohiep here. Sou should check that topic also.

Sorry for the missing links but I really have no time to find everything. It’s not se easy on phone. :)

Yeah, the power management is always problem on Hackintosh. There are guides in the forum about how to implement native power management.

I will search! I have charged my laptop at 100% and now I want to see in how much time it will be discharged doing nothing. Because yesterday at the first/second boot I installed a lot of things, ecc... On windows the battery life is 8 hours doing basics things. 2 hours maximum if I open Android Studio to Android development. Moreover I noticed that the battery is a little bit warm.

Clover is the bootloader what you are using. When you start your notebook you should see the Clocer bootscreen. You only had to push F4 (on some laptops Fn+F4 if swapped) and the clover extracts your native DSDT. And you are done but actually I’m not even sure that this step is necessary.
I press F4 during the boot and I had a little freeze so I think that I have done. I need to do this every time that I boot with Clover?

You still have to take care about a few things like the correct SMBIOS implementation (there is a guide somewhere), messing with the numpad (if you have one), check the audiojack, etc.

It seems that everything that I need is ok (expect power management maybe). USBs work, trackpad, screen backlight, audio, video, ecc...So I don't think that I need extra kexts (I have used the most recent release for everyone)

There is a “Zenbook guide with Clover hotpatch” topic somewhere where you can find hieplpvip who made the guide I linked. His name is baohiep here. Sou should check that topic also.

I will take a look. Thanks!

Sorry for the missing links but I really have no time to find everything. It’s not se easy on phone. :)

Don't worry, you already give me GREAT HELP! I will search to the material that you suggest and I will post links ;)

Thanks again for your help :)

There are guides in the forum about how to implement native power management.

Found: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/
I will try to do this things.

Found: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-zenbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.257448/
I have already follow this instruction, so I just comment to ask a help :)

Probably the battery is hot and drains fast because of the CPU Power Management. I still have this problem btw but I had no time to work on it. The color banding problem is much more irritating and I just cant get rid of it. If you open the dashboard and see the "nice" gradients then welcome to the club. :D

The little freeze is normal because when you press F4 the clover extracts your DSDT and writing the data takes some time. You won't do it anymore.

Most probably you only need extra kexts if you are planning to replace the internal WiFi card to a supported version I just thought it worth to mention. :) Sometimes it seems that everything is working but it can happen that a few things are missing or glitchy. For example the HDMI is not always working (few people had this problem that plugging a HDMI cable in caused kernel panic), or you only have picture but no sound, or you have HDMI audio but the change between internal and jack audio is not working, and when you fix it you loose HDMI audio. USB-C can be tricky sometimes especially those which are combined with DP. The color banding problem I mentioned is also common in case of Kaby Lake and newer CPUs. Sleep and wake can cause problems (you might need to fix the sleepimage with Hackintool), webcam, card reader, ambient light sensor, etc. That's why it's important to check really everything.

For example I have a strong feeling that your card reader is not working and it never will if your machine uses the same model as mine. I think they do since they are like "sisters".

Also: Please correct your build info. Motherboard should be Asus Vivobook S510 (in case of notebooks we use the type instead of the actual motherboard type), and also the graphics should be UHD620 + MX130. The IGPU is much more important since the MX130 is not working under mac.

Probably the battery is hot and drains fast because of the CPU Power Management. I still have this problem btw but I had no time to work on it. The color banding problem is much more irritating and I just cant get rid of it. If you open the dashboard and see the "nice" gradients then welcome to the club. :D

Luckily I don't have that "graphic feature". Just battery drain and warm. Maybe another problem is that command key is alt and not windows but is ok xD

For the extra-kexts, I will use this laptop just to develop with Xcode when I'm not at home. I need to try if the fan works correctly otherwise PC will explode. So, external HDMI, card reader, integrated wifi and bluetooth etc...are not required for me

Also: Please correct your build info. Motherboard should be Asus Vivobook S510 (in case of notebooks we use the type instead of the actual motherboard type), and also the graphics should be UHD620 + MX130. The IGPU is much more important since the MX130 is not working under mac.

Done! ;)

I follow the guide on native power management but the first step (set config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true) is already done because I follow the same guide so the config was already set.

Now I'm trying to do this section: Experimental option for Skylake/Kaby Lake (and later): HWP
I will keep you updating :D

Now I'm trying to do this section: Experimental option for Skylake/Kaby Lake (and later): HWP

No, it's already set. So I think that there are no more solution. I search on Google and everyone do the same thing. Whit just Safari opened the battery is 61% after 2h (from 100%) so it's ok. I am afraid just for the temperature. Now I will check temperature and fans ;)

Ok. I have done some stress test and everything is ok! I have also tried to run a Xcode project with multiple simulator and real device (iPad) and the temperature stay low. I'm very happy :D Thank again for your help!
To be honest battery drain is not too much.
Thank again for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back