Contribute
Register

Asus UL80J - Successful install

Status
Not open for further replies.
@alucard179
Use Legacy iBoot and do not update beyond 10.6.6

I have not figured out a way to get the vanilla 10.8 kernel to play nice with my ul80. It hangs at the "PCI configuration begin" while in 310M graphics mode (with or w/o -x), but boots farther when in optimus mode with -x. Going to have to try some more DSDT edits eventually. If anyone has gotten any farther, please let me know.

Anyone knows if this works for an Asus U35JC which is almost identical I haven't tried anything yet but I would like to know.

This is awesome :eek:

hi thanks for the help. i got it to boot and work but when i installed update 10.6.6
combo it gave me an error and does not boot anymore. i think is because was on optimus mode, il reinstall and try again in the other mode to c if it works. if everything works fine ill let u guys know.

Alucard,

Mine is a different model but it´s almost identical , when I perform the update to 10.6.6 I can´t boot anymore, i think this is because of the optimus video card, what version of bios is everyone using to get SL working?

Regards

anyone tried lion on the ul80?

hcmtnbiker said:
anyone tried lion on the ul80?

I am getting ready to. I have to get xcode 4.3 working. And I don't feel like hacking around on some snow leopard installer for it to work. Its made for Lion, so I am going to try and install Lion...

I will report back once I try it out.

well this sucks. I sat down to install lion on this thing and when I pushed the power button to turn it on, the fans powered up and all the lights came on, but the screen is black and it won't do anything.

I wish there was a way to test if it's the motherboard or the CPU. Non beep codes or anything.

A new board is $169. But it also looks like I could buy the board from the ul80j or ul50 which is 2.13ghz instead of 1.2ghz.

Anyway have any ideas? I may just buy a new laptop layer. You can run lion pretty easily in virtualbox and VMware. So I'm not sure why I need this laptop right away.

Without POST codes is almost always the mobo, quite possibly failure of the nVidia 310M with your symptoms. Anyways, I have been able to install Lion on this laptop but the initial boot after it wont until the nvidia kexts are removed. This is obviously not what i want as Q/QE would be great.

hcmtnbiker said:
Without POST codes is almost always the mobo, quite possibly failure of the nVidia 310M with your symptoms. Anyways, I have been able to install Lion on this laptop but the initial boot after it wont until the nvidia kexts are removed. This is obviously not what i want as Q/QE would be great.

Sorry, I got this figured out a long time ago and haven't had time to post. Regarding my laptop, it was the video chipset. But since the video chipset is integrated into the mobo, I had to replace the whole thing.

Lion boots fine for me. I had to use an older version of the NVIDIA kexts that were confirmed working for optimus 2 (even though we have the original)

im having problems with my install. i can get the install for 10.6.3 working fine but when i update to anything other then that i am never able to boot again. is there something i should be doing after the update? or just leave as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back