Contribute
Register

Asus UL80J - Successful install

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off Thank you Flexgrip and everyone else who has contributed to this awesomely helpful thread! I'm currently getting My UL80JT up to speed with the trinity boot listed. My question really goes out to Reptar if you're still around. How did you go about patching the 213 Bios. Win flash doesn't recognize the AMl file. A quick tutorial or list of tools used would be a spectacular addition to this already great guide! Thanks in advance.

@Flex or others:
Wouldn't it be easier to install Ubuntu last so that the Grub remains intact and we don't have to fix the grub?

Also, a general outline would be appreciated explaining imaging/restoring images in regards to how the Grub is affected. I plan to use open source CloneZilla (on windows probably) to do the cloning and restoring. thanks

To upgrade the bios to v213, dl and save the bios.bin file to a USB flash drive. Reboot the UL80JT (flash drive inserted) and enter the bios configuration by holding the"del" key. Go to 'Advanced" and the first menu item under "Advanced" should be "Start Easy Flash". Locate the bios.bin file in the dialog box and follow the prompts to flash the bios.

As for getting the K52JC to use the GT310M, many are searching for the solution and currently it does not exist. The reason we have been successful with UL80JT is that we are able to disable the Intel HD gfx in the bios. I do not believe that is possible with K52. With Intel HD gfx there is no CI/QE and for many there is only VESA (1024x768) resolution. That is the current state of OSX and a DSDT edit isn't likely to help resolve this issue. As I said this is a well know problem and many are working on it but thus far no solution.

Thanks Reptar. Now If only i could solve the kernel panic during the update to 10.6.4 i saw the posts on the othe forum about it; but man, that's not fair I have the same ul80jt as you guys!

thenakedspike,

You shouldn't need this if you are running the patched DSDT and have Chameleon setup properly with active C- and P-states, but it won't hurt to add a CPUPM disabler such as
NullCPUPM.kext to your Extra mkext and reboot prior to updating. you should be able to remove it afterwards. Also make sure you are not using SleepEnabler. This has to be removed prior to every OSX update and of course the patched DSDT eliminates the need to use it all. if you are using SleepEnabler.kext, you will need to have an updated version that is compatible with 10.6.4 as the one that works with 10.6.3 will kp. Likewise with every incremental update in the future.

Thans so much i'll be trying that out post-haste! I hope to have some positive results soon!

I've been reading up on Grub Legacy and Grub2:
@Flex: it seems like you are using Grub2 only. Do you have Grub2 installed in both the MBR and the Ubuntu installation partions or just the latter?

What about installing GRUB2 in a separate boot partition? Not sure how this is done though.

Many others have been installing Grub legacy in the MBR and then chainloading to specific boot loader pertinent to its OS (i.e. windows 7 boot loader, Ubuntu Grub2, etc...).

I have not put together all the info to understand all this. thanks

Having trouble following this thread anymore, as lots of other models have been discussed, aside from the one from the OP (Asus UL80J). So how far have we gotten with this one? I've tried months back following the instructions, with little luck. Have there been improvements since? Is there any plan to write up a full guide on this? Thanks in advance.

Secondarily, any more plans to modify the UL80J's bios, to maybe allow for higher overclock than ~1.6ghz with turboboost?

I am having issues for when I update to 10.6.6 my ul80jt lost its keyboard support and touch pad. I have tried few different kext also. I have not flashed my kernal with what is in the post. Will this fix the issue for 10.6.6 update? Or are others having issues also.......

THANKS!

im having issues trying to install osx 10.6.3 on my asus ul80j.it does not even boot by any mean. it says some cpu0 error and if i get to pas that it gets to apple screen then ask me to restart. i tried the -x command and dint got to work. if possible can you tell me in details the process i know how to install and everything else but just to get to install screen on this laptop. since i have been trying for ages. i used retail 10.6.3 also used a SL OSX but dint work for me. i used last iboot also tried empire efi none worked for me. i wil be gratefull if some1 can help me out wit a lil info. i have search around and burned many different boot cds also tryed to unstall by usb but just stays at apple page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back