Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> ASUS TUF Z390M PRO - Installation siezes at apfs module init.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may work if you plug a USB 2 hub into a USB 3 port (worth a try if you have one).

I just returned and installed a newly-purchased USB2.0 backplane port connector.

Installation still hangs at the same point of apfs initialization. So, that wasn't the problem.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Attachments

• apfs_stop07092019.jpg
    apfs_stop07092019.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 40
Any ideas what I can try next?

As you said previously, the problem (and solution) is described in @MacMan 's guide :

If you use UEFI version 2203 or later the system will hang during the boot of macOS at apfs_module_start:1393. @mattystonnie has created a patch that fixes this.

No further ideas.

As you said previously, the problem (and solution) is described in @MacMan 's guide :

No further ideas.

I understand.

This is a different board than @MacMan used. The DSDT patch did not work on this ASUS TUF Z390M PRO GAMING. I chose this specific board because it appears in the Buyer's Guide. At least the WiFi version does. So, I assumed someone had figured it out.

I suspect that the BIOS/UEFI is exactly the same for both boards.

You would certainly know better than I. And, I hope you are right because;

When I tried to re-run the DSDT merge of ASUS_ACPI from @MacMan 's attachment, The message returned was "skipped duplicate entry". Now THAT is weird to me since I created a completely new Unibeast stick and started from the beginning with a new config.plist. So where exactly does that patch get written?

I am currently updating the Clover on the unibeast stick as the previously recommended 4920 got changed to 4961 on the post.

If this fails, I am truly at a brick wall with this build.

You would certainly know better than I.
I have no more knowledge than you on the subject but if you compare the support pages for the two boards then the numbering convention for the BIOS releases is exactly the same as are the file sizes.

Pro.png

ProM.png

I have no more knowledge than you on the subject but if you compare the support pages for the two boards then the numbering convention for the BIOS releases is exactly the same as are the file sizes.

Makes sense to me.
For my own education; would you mind telling me - Does that patch write TO the actual BIOS? I was under the impression that it wrote to a plist somewhere (because of plistbuddy). Now, it is just bothering me that I don't know where to find it if I need to.

The good news is... after updating the boot loader again from 4920 to 4961 (per @MacMan... It cleared the apfs error and immediately stopped at this broadcom message.

BCM94360CS2 on PCIe x1 adapter. (Should be natively supported AFAIK)

Attachments

• BroadcomError.jpg
    BroadcomError.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 44
  • BCM94360CS2.jpg
    BCM94360CS2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
I am ONE TINY step closer to installing Mojave on this system.

The apfs initialization has cleared.
The Broadcom card initialization has cleared and the FakeSMC sensors have actually started

Can someone please point me to the next step? This system is not responding as-expected to MacMan's settings.

So, can we start with - What is the next thing that should happen after Sensors Started? If I at least know what type of problem to look for, that would prevent a lot of hairpulling.

From memory, I am going to start with graphics. I pulled the PowerColor RX580 and am going for UHD630. Any other advice would be appreciated. This is DAY 3 of just trying to get MacOS installed. Please help if you can.

Attachments

• sensorsstarted.jpg
    sensorsstarted.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back