i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying mobo Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming for my new build.
The intel WiFi card on this board is not supported (yet) in MacOS, so I want to replace it with these components:

WiFi card
Adaptor

My question is if somebody have any experience to remove the intel WiFi card from the board and replace it with the new components?
The first problem I can think of is the big heatsink on the left of the board. Is it possible to temporary remove it so I'm able to remove the metal housing where the intel card is located? Or is this just not wise and therefore I need to sacrifice one of the two M.2 connectors?

I hope if someone could help me.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Already found my answer in this thread under section: Spoiler: Dell DW1560 Installation Guide

It is possible to remove the heatsink :)
Yes, the heat sink can be removed. Someone on that thread put up a guide on how to remove the heat sink.

@antiserum420 What card did you end up getting? I have a Z390-I and the wifi on windows is amazing right now. Did the card you replaced it with have comparable performance?

@antiserum420 What card did you end up getting? I have a Z390-I and the wifi on windows is amazing right now. Did the card you replaced it with have comparable performance?

I bought Dell DW1560 as recommended in this guide. 'section: Spoiler: Dell DW1560 Installation Guide' of the guide explains how to replace the WiFi card. The card performance (both WiFi (5Ghz) and bluetooth) is great. Would probably be te same in Windows environment. No problems found yet. All other MacOS features like Airdrop and Handoff works great too.

I bought Dell DW1560 as recommended in this guide. 'section: Spoiler: Dell DW1560 Installation Guide' of the guide explains how to replace the WiFi card. The card performance (both WiFi (5Ghz) and bluetooth) is great. Would probably be te same in Windows environment. No problems found yet. All other MacOS features like Airdrop and Handoff works great too.
Awesome thanks, I'll give it a shot. You were able to just remove the Shroud and put it in where the intel one is now? I saw its in the guide

Do you need extra kexts to make it work? I'm about to buy same board, same WiFi card. In the guide you mention it's mentioned that you don't need any kexts, but I've read that it actually does.

Do you need extra kexts to make it work? I'm about to buy same board, same WiFi card. In the guide you mention it's mentioned that you don't need any kexts, but I've read that it actually does.

That's not true. The guide says you need the latest BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext for Dell DW1560 to work.
You probably referring to the latest posts of the guide, which is meant for a complete different card.

That's not true. The guide says you need the latest BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext for Dell DW1560 to work.
You probably referring to the latest posts of the guide, which is meant for a complete different card.

Yes, my bad. The required kexts were actually included in the EFI at the end. Since I'm unfamiliar with that installation procedure, I completely missed it. Thanks!

Have you benchmarked that Dell Wifi on mac or windows? Screenshot on that guide you linked shows 12Mb/s only. That is hardly usable. Answered in the other topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back