Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG GL551JK fully working on Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
working battery status need a patched dsdt because of 16bit access to ec registers, while Apple require 8 bit access. there is a patch already developed and posted on this forum (for another asus model) which works for the N551 (and i guess for the G551 also)
With cpu powermanagement and stepping in place the battery last a few less than it last on windows (on my model not so much, being a small battery)
surfing and editing files can give you less than two hours, using intensive cpu application suck the battery very fast.same happen on windows.
For the trackpad i found ApplePS2ElanTouchpad work best. still not perfect but we have to rely on the developer of the kext.

1) For my sleep/awake problem i was testing the battery, (the battery was full after 3 hours charging, then i plugged it into my laptop and booted). So, exactly the same symptoms : if i click on Apple Menu - Sleep, the laptop go to sleep after some second (i found it slow to go to sleep) and the keys continue to light maybe one minute more, then the computer is totally sleeping. But, if i want to awake it it's impossible. I have a mouse connected to it (mighty mouse Apple) and the red light is turned off, so i'm sure the computer is sleeping but i can't make it awake. I try all the keys, and the Power on key (it seem to try to start, the front leds shine (light and Hard Disk) during 1 or 2 second and then i hear a small "clic" the computer stop starting and nothing else. It's the only principle problem i have now.

2) Lot of things are working :
- Function keys sound (mute, lower, louder), brightness (less, more), light keys (less, more), desactivate/reactive the trackpad, switch of the screen)...
- Sound
- USB 2/3
- Graphics qe/ci without marble or bad artefact (only a little during the boot phase but it's very light and it disappear very quick)
- DVDROM
- trackpad is working now correctly, and i think all multi gaestures worked (scroll up, down with 2 fingers, mission control, many things..) And i found how to activate one thing very important for me : the single tap or TAP TO CLICK that i have on Windows 8. By default it's desactivate but it's an Apple option and i didn't know it before.. you must go to Preferences/Trackpad and activate the "clic"

I didn't try the HDMI output (sound/video)
Edit : I tried the HDMI output on my TV : during the Clover boot phase, the TV displays the same as the laptop then, when you get to the finder you stay in this mirror mode : so my 1080P tv dispays the same as my computer.
I tried to change the display mode in the extended display mode, but in doing so, the screen of my laptop becomes completely unreadable : it only show horizontal random lines cut unreadable! But on the TV, however the TV displays is well in extended desktop mode and perfectly clean and readble!

Here is my kexts loaded by CLOVER (on my EFI partition)
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

ACPIBacklight.kext/
ACPIBatteryManager.kext/
FakePCIID.kext/
FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext/
FakeSMC.kext/
GenericUSBXHCI.kext/

And the kexts installed with Kext Wizard :
AppleHDADisabler.kext
AsusNBFnKeys.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

I also use your 5 ACPI patched files DSDT/SSDT and i made my own SMBIOS configuration using Clover Configuraiton. I use 2 patches in my "KextsToPatch" config.plist's section : the "9MB cursor bytes patch" and the "Bootloader Graphics - Second Stage Patch" from Rehabman http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/145308-fix-resolve-boot-screen-garble.html

With my smbios configuration, i followed a guide to make iMessage working, so now everything work from the Apple Cloud/stuff

A big thanks to shutt1e for his precious files an informations, and also Rehabman who is a real dictionnary (incredible).

I want to make an installation guide later (and try to patch by my own hands my ACPI files), for the moment i want to use my laptop cause this 3 last weeks it was so much busy.

Pippoaac : you can buy the Asus G551 it's an amazing powerful and good device, one of the best at this price.

1) For my sleep/awake problem i was testing the battery, (the battery was full after 3 hours charging, then i plugged it into my laptop and booted). So, exactly the same symptoms : if i click on Apple Menu - Sleep, the laptop go to sleep after some second (i found it slow to go to sleep) and the keys continue to light maybe one minute more, then the computer is totally sleeping. But, if i want to awake it it's impossible. I have a mouse connected to it (mighty mouse Apple) and the red light is turned off, so i'm sure the computer is sleeping but i can't make it awake. I try all the keys, and the Power on key (it seem to try to start, the front leds shine (light and Hard Disk) during 1 or 2 second and then i hear a small "clic" the computer stop starting and nothing else. It's the only principle problem i have now.

Probably DSDT and/or power management issue.

Probably DSDT and/or power management issue.
So, there are maybe some ACPI differences between these 2 laptops : N551 et G551 even if we have the same bios version?!
To be sure, we need to compare the 2 acpi extract from linux about the shutt1e's laptop and mine.

So, there are maybe some ACPI differences between these 2 laptops : N551 et G551 even if we have the same bios version?!
To be sure, we need to compare the 2 acpi extract from linux about the shutt1e's laptop and mine.

Never use a DSDT from another computer. Patch your own instead.

i'm talking about the N551, but i think also apply for the G551 being the motherboard shared on both models.
1) fan works on macos yosemite as it works on windows. so it spin more when the cpu is hot and spin down when its cool.with proper dsdt/ssdt files one can have native powermanagement and cpu stepping.
2) yes
3)no idea. i got this one when yosemite was out and tried just that one
4) dunno but i think so. mine has 2 ram slots and only one populated with a 8gb ddr3-l memory
5) i'm unsure if that is a m2 slot or a previous version. unluckly it is not accessible and you have to disassembly the laptop to have access to it. my slot currently is not populated so i can't tell.Bios offer many boot possibilities so i think it can be done.
6) no idea, i don't own a such machine.

i'm using a lot garageband on mine, and it runs pretty well. even if mine has only 8gb ram it play sampled/generated/loops sounds with no stutters or other issues. i did not tried midi because i lack of the interface :)

Ok: I'm one meter away for buying a brand new n551 to make my mobile hackintosh music workstation on it. Just want to know if there is a complete guide for this laptop, or I have to cherrypick here and there.

Ok: I'm one meter away for buying a brand new n551 to make my mobile hackintosh music workstation on it. Just want to know if there is a complete guide for this laptop, or I have to cherrypick here and there.
The second option i guess!
I will write a complete guide for my G551 after making working all my devices/stuff, so if you can't wait i suggest you to start like we all must do with this excellent tutorial from Rehabman : http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

To complete, many other tutorials you need are linked here in this topic "ASUS ROG GL551JK fully working on Mavericks "

simply disable nvidia in clover config
Code:
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1</string>

and take a look at the acpi files i posted, they already include battery,display brightness,keyboard backlight,powermanagement and usb fixes
for battery management you need acpi+ACPIBatteryManager.kext, for brightness acpi+ACPIBacklight.kext and for kb backlight acpi+AsusNBFnKeys.kext
This laptop has some external methods defined on the ssdt files, so patching the dsdt is not enough.
actually i have patched the original dsdt ssdt5 ssdt6 ssdt7, while ssdt you can see on my earlier post has been generated for the powermanagement using the guide posted on this forum. using a such patched acpi set you can definitely drop all tables using clover.

Code:
 /*
 Patches included:
 backlight
 fn keys
 Battery 
 IGFX rename
 Airport brcm
 OSDW
 USB2/USB3
 XHC rename
 mutex_with_non_zero
 HDEF layout 3
 B0D3 rename as HDAU
 */

nb i realized i changed my acpi files since last post. so here is the last version
View attachment 137947

Hi shutt1e, i make again my ACPI files and now they are clean. For my files I followed the Rehab Guide and applied these common patches for DSDT :
"Remove _DSM methods"
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix » (Windows 8)
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"Add IMEI"

And for SSDTx only "Remove _DSM methods" and fix/correction then compile them and now I use it.

Then, i followed this guide : http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-guides/153390-guide-lenovo-y50-clover.html only for Power Management :

HTML:
Part V: Power Management

1. Open up Terminal and run the following commands:

Code:     curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/master/ssdtPRGen.sh

chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh

~/ssdtPRGen.sh 2. When asked to copy or open the generated SSDT, type n and press enter.

3. In the Finder, press Command + Shift + G and type in ~/Library/ssdtPRGen and click Go.

4. Open ssdt.dsl in that folder with MaciASL.

5. Ensure that there are no errors when you click on Compile.

6. Save the file as a "Disassembled ASL File" somewhere safe. Save the  file again as an "ACPI Machine Language Binary" in  [SYSTEM_DRV]/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, named "SSDT-1".

So now, i understood more your ACPI files, i saw that the SSDT-1 file i made was the only CPU file i need (like you) and it's great cause he contain all the informations of physical and logical cores my processor have. So i renamed SSDT-1 to SSDT1.aml and i kept only theses files :
DSDT.aml
SSDT1.aml (new one generated following the Lenovo guide)
SSDT4.aml
SSDT5.aml
SSDT6.aml
SSDT7.aml

in my /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory

I modified my config.plist to load them and i rebooted.

At this time, with my kext I had the brightness Keys lightning but i can't shutdown them. I know that i need a patch to apply.

My questions : where did you find the patch? I saw this post from the original developer of the AsusNBFnKeys kext http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1968-fn-hotkey-driver-for-asus-notebooks/ i saw a part of code to apply but i don't know how.
Which version of the kext are you using? The AsusNBFnKeys_v2.4_Final.zip ??

I found this patch :)in commentary of a youtube video :oops:)
HTML:
# Patch by EMlyDinEsH (OSXLatitude)
# Patches for Controlling Asus keyboard backlight 
# from my drivers AsusNBFnKeys and ELAN Touchpad

# Inserting backlight off control field for ELAN and Fn Keys driver
into device label ATKD code_regex Name\s\(BOFF,\sZero\) remove_matched;
into device label ATKD insert begin Name (BOFF, Zero) end;

# Method SKBL for setting keyboard backlight level
into method label SKBL parent_label ATKD remove_entry;
into Device label ATKD insert begin
Method (SKBL, 1, NotSerialized)\n
          {\n
        If (Or (LEqual (Arg0, 0xED), LEqual (Arg0, 0xFD)))\n
                {\n
                    If (LEqual(Arg0, BOFF))\n
                     {\n
                        Store (Zero, Local0)\n
                     }\n
            Else\n
            {\n
            Return (One)\n
            }\n
                }\n
                Else\n
                {\n
                    If(Or (LEqual (Arg0, 0xEA), LEqual (Arg0, 0xFA)))\n
                    {\n
                        Store (KBLV, Local0)\n
            If (LEqual(Arg0, 0xEA))\n
                        {\n
                            Store (0xED, BOFF)\n
                        }\n
                        Else \n
                        {\n
                            Store (0xFD, BOFF)\n
                        }\n
                    }\n
                    Else\n 
                    {\n
                        Store (Arg0, Local0)\n
            Store (Arg0, KBLV)\n
                    }\n
                }\n
                Store (DerefOf (Index (KBPW, Local0)), Local1)\n
                ^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.WRAM (0x04B1, Local1)\n
                Return (One)\n
            }
end;

# Inserting keyboard backlight 16 levels buffer
into device label ATKD code_regex Name\s\(KBPW,\sBuffer\s\(0x10\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\/\*\s0000\s\*\/\s*0x00,\s0x11,\s0x22,\s0x33,\s0x44,\s0x55,\s0x66,\s0x77,\s*\/\*\s0008\s\*\/\s*\s0x88,\s0x99,\s0xAA,\s0xBB,\s0xCC,\s0xDD,\s0xEE,\s0xFF\s*\}\) remove_matched;
into device label ATKD insert begin 
Name (KBPW, Buffer (0x10)\n
   {\n
      0x00, 0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66, 0x77, 0x88, 0x99, 0xAA, 0xBB, 0xCC, 0xDD, 0xEE, 0xFF\n
   })
end;

#into device label ATKD code_regex Name\s\(PWKB,\sBuffer\s\(0x04\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*0x00,\s0x55,\s0xAA,\s0xFF\s*\}\) remove_matched
#into device label ATKD insert begin 
#Name (PWKB, Buffer (0x10)\n
#   {\n
#      0x00, 0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66, 0x77, 0x88, 0x99, 0xAA, 0xBB, 0xCC, 0xDD, 0xEE, 0xFF\n
#   })
#end;

# Method GKBL for reading keyboard backlight level
into method label GKBL parent_label ATKD remove_entry;
into Device label ATKD insert begin
Method (GKBL, 1, NotSerialized)\n
            {\n
               Return (KBLV)\n
            }
end;

After applied this one it's work (i have 16 degrees of ligths in my keyboard keys and i can change them, switch off...) but i don't know if it don't brake other thing in my config.

Also, the fn keys to make the screen bright more or less don't work. (With your DSDT file it work great) How did u do that ??

Edit :
I found the solution in an other post of you, http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/159624-asus-n551-brightness-patch.html#post1005162 you said :

HTML:
"Yes! that was!
just removing the FIX_INTELGFX_1000000 from clover's config.plist did the trick.
dunno why it was there, maybe because i copy/paste too much..

so i can confirm both these Patches works great for the N551JM
https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-D...ASUS-G75vw.txt
https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-D...LF_haswell.txt
this last one have to be applied to the ssdt5

now next challenge is to fix the fn Keys and backlight keyboard"

So, after modification, reboot everythings fine : i have my brightness screen fixed, my brightness keys (with the patch i found in yt lol), the fn touch work (i can change the brightness of screen, keys, the sound...) but i still have a problem : the sleep mode!! Now its go into the sleep mode.... but stay at this state for..hmmm 2 or 3 seconds, and then it go back into the initial state : awake!!! (The screen stay off but the laptop is awake, i hear it and when i touch a key the screen switch on instantly!!!
It's my only problem right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back