Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG GL551JK fully working on Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last day, i made a backup of my acpi files (patched and originals) my kexts and i decided to swap my internal 1TB HDD by a 256GB SSD (i will use the 1TB disk as an data disk later when i'll buy a ssd caddy adaptater) and i restart the installation.
Everything goes right, i installed Clover, the acpi files, the kext, rebooted and fixed permission then rebooted again.
I thought everything is OK, but i found something doesn't working : my trackpad don't work like my previous install. In fact i don't have the scroll (up or down) using 2 fingers. In my previous installation it was working.
I try to search where is my mistake, and then i booted to my previous partition (using it as an external drive) and on this partition it's work!!! i looked at the 2 /System/Library/Extensions folders (the new install and the previous) but it's identical : same kexts.
Does Ioreg can tell me the difference betwen these 2 installations (and found how to make my trackpad scroll working)???

Last day, i made a backup of my acpi files (patched and originals) my kexts and i decided to swap my internal 1TB HDD by a 256GB SSD (i will use the 1TB disk as an data disk later when i'll buy a ssd caddy adaptater) and i restart the installation.
Everything goes right, i installed Clover, the acpi files, the kext, rebooted and fixed permission then rebooted again.
I thought everything is OK, but i found something doesn't working : my trackpad don't work like my previous install. In fact i don't have the scroll (up or down) using 2 fingers. In my previous installation it was working.
I try to search where is my mistake, and then i booted to my previous partition (using it as an external drive) and on this partition it's work!!! i looked at the 2 /System/Library/Extensions folders (the new install and the previous) but it's identical : same kexts.
Does Ioreg can tell me the difference betwen these 2 installations (and found how to make my trackpad scroll working)???

You probably have different or duplicate kexts for PS2 (check your EFI partition).

You probably have different or duplicate kexts for PS2 (check your EFI partition).
Thanks Rehabman but it was not a problem of kexts. I finally found after many hours of research and by the merest chance : I was going to System Preferences >Trackpad but everything was checked normally. I simply moved the scroll speed slider one notch to the right and it unlocked the function!

I just read your success story with installing yosemite on your Asus G551. I am receiving this laptop as well in a few days. Would you be so kind to create a guide on how you got everything to work?

I know it's a lot of work but it would be mich appreciated.

Still waiting patiently for the guide ;)

@iskamyra ; could you please update your latest kext, ACPI folders and the config file?

I finally got my hands on the N551JQ. Luckily it has almost exact the same specifications as the GL551JK, except for the nvidia gpu.

I got a very stable system, with virtually everything working; intel 4600, audio, keyboard FN keys, ethernet, elan touchpad with gestures, battery indicator, HDMI dual screen. The only issues I have is sleep and booting the laptop when HDMI is connected.

Sleep; laptop enters sleep but automatically shuts down after a while. Can likely be fixed by proper cpu powermanagement patching.
HDMI: Laptop keeps restarting with the HDMI cable connected; it works fine when the cable is (re)connected when OS X has started up.

Sleep; laptop enters sleep but automatically shuts down after a while. Can likely be fixed by proper cpu powermanagement patching.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/146870-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

HDMI: Laptop keeps restarting with the HDMI cable connected; it works fine when the cable is (re)connected when OS X has started up.

Likely related to incorrectly implemented HDMI-audio.

HDMI-audio on Haswell has several requirements:
- the device at address 0x00030000, usually called B0D3, must be renamed to HDAU
- the resulting HDAU device must be recognized by AppleHDAController (config.plist patches required if not natively recognized... or you can use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext)
- your framebuffer must be patched for HDMI-audio (there are patches in my default config.plist (disabled) files: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config). It is trial/error to determine which port your HDMI is connected (actually, they are positional and you can tell by looking at ioreg).
- patched AppleHDA is required (sometimes VoodooHDA works, but my experience has been not good)
- you have to inject "hda-gfx"="onboard-1" for IGPU and HDAU objects. This is usually done with DSDT/SSDT edits (_DSM methods)

Thanks, sleep is working now, and I successfully disabled the discrete GPU. I used your laptop patches in MaciASL to disable the Nvdia GPU. Battery life has increased drastically :)

I will follow your advise next for getting HDMI to work during boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back