Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage III Gene - Install GUIDE for Mac OS X 10.6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mikerogers56: Hey did you use a 10.6 copy or !0.6.3? I'm using my 10.6 and all it does is lock up right at the beginning of the install. First it locked up try to format and partition, so I took the drive out and formatted it on my iMac and now it sees the drive to install to it. But now it wont install at all to the HD. Im thinking its my disc. Who knows? Theres always a problem somewhere lol.

roostergold said:
@mikerogers56: Hey did you use a 10.6 copy or !0.6.3? I'm using my 10.6 and all it does is lock up right at the beginning of the install. First it locked up try to format and partition, so I took the drive out and formatted it on my iMac and now it sees the drive to install to it. But now it wont install at all to the HD. Im thinking its my disc. Who knows? Theres always a problem somewhere lol.

I used 10.6.3

I should have added my installation locked up when using disk utility to format it when I was using the sataII port

Hey Guys I've been at this for several days now and just last night stumbled upon this thread. I finally got OSX 10.6.3 installed however when it asks for a reboot I am unable to launch it.
Note: I couldn't get my SSD to recognize in disc utility unless it was in a SATA 2.0 port. Does this affect the boot up process after?
Right now It has been formated - partition into a Extended(Journaled) Where OSX has been installed and I have a partition for Fat(32) So I can share files between the two Operating Systems.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, in the meantime I just gonna keep uninstalling and reinstalling this in an attempt to get it working.

@Dr.Funkenstein That also happened to me but I realized I forgot to change in the bios to boot from the HD and not the DVD rom. So I booted from iBoot the exact same way as in the install, ran multibeast again to make sure he bootloader was installed and then rebooted making sure the bios was booting hard drive first. Let me know if this helps.

This is a little bit clearer instructions for this build than the TC's. Most of his stuff is right just not real clear. You might not encounter any of the problems I did but if you do I hope they clear them up. And remember Google is your friend, if you encounter something else I'm sure someone else has and found how to fix it.

I had my DVD burned hooked up into SATA port 1 (Top right grey). My hard drive was plugged into the top 6GB port. The drive is only a 3GB but it worked and I used the regular black cable and not the white 6GB ones.

The bios settings were as follows: I had version 0704.
Main--storage config--configure sata as-ACHI
Power--Suspend--S3 / Both ACPI options enabled.
I don't know if it matters but all onboard devices were disabled as was speed step-c state and A20m were also disabled under the advanced cpu config

Software i used was a factory copy of 10.6 SL iBoot 3.0 and the newest multibeast

To boot with iboot the only option I could use was -x PCIROOTUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=NO -v
Anything else would not boot for my setup and videocard. That alone was a huge problem for me to figure out. If you have a nVidia card try that if you cant get to the install screen.

Now here are the problems i encountered and how I solved it:

During the the first couple times trying I encountered the line "Still waiting for root device". After tinkering with the sata cables a bit I never had that problem again.

The -v bootup would hand on the following line ACPI_SMC_Platformplugin ::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement) timed out. This was a video card issue which lead me to find out that the only way it would get to the install screen was -x PCIROOTUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=NO -v If you have a nvidia series 4xx or 5xx I would recommend that if you still cant boot.

The last problem I encountered was I got all the way to the install progress bar but it froze at the very beginning and would not move. Checking the error log from the task bar showed ERROR: Error writing cache to /Volumes/SystemX/Library/Caches/com.apple.FindSystemFiles.plist
ERROR: Failed to enumerate /Volumes/SystemX/Library/Caches, cannot prune ()
I fixed this by reactivating the 6GB port in the bios and plugging the HD to that. All of a sudden it worked like it should.

Post installation: Everything works for me sound, ethernet, USB, shut down/reboot. You dont need any other kexts. All the ones in the newest Multibeast work with it. Just follow the iBoot instructions to get the install and updates working.

*Note After reinstalling my other stick of ram bringing the total to 6 GBs, OSX failed to boot. This was fixed by selecting boot options typing the flag -x (safe mode), and running Multibeast selecting the options to rebuild caches and repairing permissions. After the reboot OSX was business as normal

@roostergold
Thanks for those precisions.
Hope this will be helpful...
regards

I'm using the latest voodoohda and can hear a little static. Is anyone else hearing this?

@mikerogers56

I'm also using the VoodooHDA and I'm not hearing static. Though it is a bit jarring when the kext is initialized during bootup and "pops" through the speakers.

what am I doing wrong
I can't get past still waiting for root device
am using a retail 10.6.3 disk - Iboot 2-3.0 disk
WD Black 6Gbps 1TB HD connected to red ports -
boot flag pcirootuid=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back