Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU
Intel Core i7-980X
Graphics
EVGA GTX 470
This was complicated to setup and i had the hardest time getting the machine to even load the installer because i didn't realize that my blue ray sata burner was being recognized by iBoot, but not the OSX Installer. i kept getting "Still waiting for root device" if i booted up with -v or i would get a circle with a lie through it on top of the mac logo if i just booted the osx installer normally.. but i finally got it. Here's How.

1. Connect your hard drive(s) to the red 6g sata ports on the mobo. I have 2 250G solid state drives which are mirrored by the mobo.
2. If you are using a sata dvd-rom, don't connect it to the white ports.. instead connect it to one of the 6 onboard ports next to the white ones.
3. Go into the bios and set the onboard 6g sata mode to IACH.
4. Change the onboard controller to IDE mode and then change the mode to compatible.
5. Leave everything else in the bios at the default for now.
6. I put my video card in slot 1 like the manual says. That's the one closest to the processor.
7. My sata drive wouldn't load the setup so i had to connect a flash drive that i had restored a dmg of the setup disk to.
8. Boot to the iBoot disk and select the flash drive.
9. The setup should install with no errors. After the install is completed, boot to the iBoot desk again and then select the new volume that you installed osx on.
10. when you boot up everything should work properly. Run multibeast and select the following options
EasyBeast
Advanced Options\kexts\Audio\LegacyHDA\ALC889
Advanced Options\kexts\Audio\HDAEnabler\ALC889
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\JMicron (aka GSATA)\JMicron 36xeSATA
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\Graphics\Enablers\NVEnabler
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\Network\Intel 82566 Family Chipset
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\NON-DSDT Systems\NullCPUPowerManagment
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\smbios.plist\Mac Pro\Core i7

Reboot and everything should work. If you are missing your cdrom drive google ATAPortinjector.kext. Download this file and place it in /Extras/Extensions and then run multibeast again and then check system utilities and click through to finish. This rebuilds the cache and fixes the permissions.

UPDATE:

I was able to edit the DSDT for this machine and got everything working perfectly(All controllers in ACHI mode). Attached is a zip of the /Extra folder. Just install Chameleon 2 RC5 and drop this folder into Extras and run Kext Utility to rebuild the cache and fix permissions.

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    2 MB · Views: 335
I'm thinking about switching to this board, but I'm confused about the first step. The Asus Rampage III Formula doesn't have any white sata ports. Did you mean black?

Sorry. I updated the post. They are RED sata ports.

Jocelyn84 said:
I'm thinking about switching to this board, but I'm confused about the first step. The Asus Rampage III Formula doesn't have any white sata ports. Did you mean black?

:sick: josh ... help me.... i cant setup the Macox

:headbang: i was complicated successs windowxs 7 and mac osx 10.6.5 yes~~@!!!! THanks~!! for your guide.... wowow~!!!! but i using DVD for install MAC :) thanks alot

I have successfully installed SL with a USB flash drive thanks to Josh's guide.

If you are having issues while attempting to install, try the following:

-reset BIOS settings to default and only change the ones listed in the 1st post
-disconnect the ethernet cable (my install would get stuck at the "Intel82566MM info: Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex" line)
-before selecting the USB flash drive or install disc, try adding kernel flag "busratio=??" (depends on your cpu's multiplier if i7 cpu, i used busratio=23) see here for i7 multipliers
-depending on your video card, you might need another kernel flag "PCIRootUID=1"

Enter the kernel flags w/o quotes.

Got this working without a flash drive. PCIRootUID=1 did the trick for me. Was using a Samsung BD burner for the install connected to the normal Sata 1 port and the target disk in the red sata port.

This was using GTX460 vid cards. Make sure you take out both video cards if you were running SLI, not just removing the SLI cable for the install.

I've Finally found a post which confirms that OSX works on this board, but I got a couple of Questions though Does the HDD connect to Red Sata Port No.1 and does the DVD drive connect to the red or black port, and does it matter which particular one I connect it to, like Port No.2, 3 etc? I got a little confused what you meant there, Also don't you need to set AHCI mode and S3 Sleep mode need to be changed in the BIOS as well? Because I thought that's the most important thing to change for OSX to work. I'm Going to give this a try later and see how it goes, I would appreciate if you can confirm those questions so I know what to exactly what to do when I do it later.

And thanks for posting up what patches are needed to use in Muilibeast, I think you're the best person I've seen who has got a guide on how to get it to work on this board.

Update: I got everything to work on this board thank to you!

Seriously man your a genius .... I have almost exactly same setup as you ....

Asus rampage 3 extreme
12GB ddr3 2000mhz
GTX470 video
I7 920@ 4.6ghz oc..

never could get this to work, now it works perfectly thank you.

joshs85 said:
This was complicated to setup and i had the hardest time getting the machine to even load the installer because i didn't realize that my blue ray sata burner was being recognized by iBoot, but not the OSX Installer. i kept getting "Still waiting for root device" if i booted up with -v or i would get a circle with a lie through it on top of the mac logo if i just booted the osx installer normally.. but i finally got it. Here's How.

1. Connect your hard drive(s) to the red 6g sata ports on the mobo. I have 2 250G solid state drives which are mirrored by the mobo.
2. If you are using a sata dvd-rom, don't connect it to the white ports.. instead connect it to one of the 6 onboard ports next to the white ones.
3. Go into the bios and set the onboard 6g sata mode to IACH.
4. Change the onboard controller to IDE mode and then change the mode to compatible.
5. Leave everything else in the bios at the default for now.
6. I put my video card in slot 1 like the manual says. That's the one closest to the processor.
7. My sata drive wouldn't load the setup so i had to connect a flash drive that i had restored a dmg of the setup disk to.
8. Boot to the iBoot disk and select the flash drive.
9. The setup should install with no errors. After the install is completed, boot to the iBoot desk again and then select the new volume that you installed osx on.
10. when you boot up everything should work properly. Run multibeast and select the following options
EasyBeast
Advanced Options\kexts\Audio\LegacyHDA\ALC889
Advanced Options\kexts\Audio\HDAEnabler\ALC889
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\JMicron (aka GSATA)\JMicron 36xeSATA
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\Graphics\Enablers\NVEnabler
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\Network\Intel 82566 Family Chipset
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\NON-DSDT Systems\NullCPUPowerManagment
Advanced Options\kexts\Disk\smbios.plist\Mac Pro\Core i7

Reboot and everything should work. If you are missing your cdrom drive google ATAPortinjector.kext. Download this file and place it in /Extras/Extensions and then run multibeast again and then check system utilities and click through to finish. This rebuilds the cache and fixes the permissions.

UPDATE:

I was able to edit the DSDT for this machine and got everything working perfectly(All controllers in ACHI mode). Attached is a zip of the /Extra folder. Just install Chameleon 2 RC5 and drop this folder into Extras and run Kext Utility to rebuild the cache and fix permissions.

I cannot find the listed drivers you have on MULTIBEAST? is it an older version? I used a newer version of multibeast and now when I boot it doesnt go past the loading screen. I just get a bunch of numbers. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back