Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt z790 - BIOS updates!

Correct, it’s the same z690. Like I said, if you’re using it for Resolve it could very well work, but if not, you’re better off with one high-end GPU internally, or getting a giant PSU and trying to have two internally.
I guess Thunderbolt works as expected in Windows 11? It's just Mac OS that has issues?

I guess Thunderbolt works as expected in Windows 11? It's just Mac OS that has issues?
Thunderbolt works... I use it to power an LG Ultrafine 5k monitor (in actual 5k)... it's just the "bus" that doesn't get activated, and therefore will not recognize something like an eGPU.

Thunderbolt works... I use it to power an LG Ultrafine 5k monitor (in actual 5k)... it's just the "bus" that doesn't get activated, and therefore will not recognize something like an eGPU.
I understand. Thanks.

How does the 5k monitor look?

I'm running the LG Ultrafine 4k 32inch and everything is very small natively. I haven't upscaled but last time i did, the scaling kept chewing the GPU memory till it was full, so left it as is.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

How does the 5k monitor look?

I'm running the LG Ultrafine 4k 32inch and everything is very small natively. I haven't upscaled but last time i did, the scaling kept chewing the GPU memory till it was full, so left it as is.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
It looks amazing. It was a gift from a client -- don't think I could ever justify spending that kind of money. It runs native retina at 2560x1440, using two DP cables from the GPU to the two DP ins on the MB, then one high-quality thunderbolt cable to the monitor. I use the imbedded camera as well. I also run a second 27" 4k (non ultra fine) using upscaling to 2560x1440 because I'd rather have the slight quality loss and extra load on the GPU than use retina 1920x1080 -- I have to have the real estate for what I do. My GPU is a reference 6900XT. This setup also works under Windows -- although I don't think Windows is using full retina 5k natively... never checked 'tho as I rarely go into Windows.

My EFI is here if anyone wants to check it out.

Hello,@suren6791 .
We have similar computer configuration. However, when I try to edit your EFI file, "OCS: Failed to parse data field as value with type data and <NDQ0RDQxNTI=> contents, context <TableSignature>!" I get an this error. How can I fix this? Thanks a lot.

Hello,@suren6791 .
We have similar computer configuration. However, when I try to edit your EFI file, "OCS: Failed to parse data field as value with type data and <NDQ0RDQxNTI=> contents, context <TableSignature>!" I get an this error. How can I fix this? Thanks a lot.
probably because of this:

Code:
<dict>
                <key>All</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Drop DMAR Table</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>OemTableId</key>
                <data></data>
                <key>TableLength</key>
                <integer>104</integer>
                <key>TableSignature</key>
                <data>NDQ0RDQxNTI=</data>
            </dict>

maybe OemTableId needs to be filled out

try with it disabled to see if your machine boots

Hi all, continuity handoff doesn't works on my Z790 creator and my ipad Pro 2018.
My config is:
6800xt 16go
128gb ram

i have a black screen when i want share screen.
do you have this issue too?
many thanks
Sam

Last edited:
@Anklebiter 192GB RAM works, but I only recommend the 4x48GB Corsair Vengeance Kit. Don't try to save money by getting two separate 2x48GB kits, as you're likely to get memory errors and system instability (this happened with me when I tried to combine two 64GB kits previously).

Also, TB works mostly fine for me on the z790 ProArt. Even sleep/wake works! I'm using an Apple Studio Display and an OWC TB3 NVMe enclosure. On occasion, if my computer crashes, I need to power-cycle it a few times, and warm-boot/restart a few times before the Studio Display gets picked up again, which is a little annoying. Another work-around is to boot into windows, and unplug/re-plug the monitor, and the TB controller will "wake up" again, then it'll get picked up by macOS

I imagine that using an eGPU through TB 3 won't be much of an issue, but I suspect that it'll be a bit frustrating if you run into the same scenario I described above. (never mind, I just read the note about the TB Bus not getting activated, which means no eGPU) My recommendation is to run two GPU's internally (a 1200W PSU should be plenty, as the GPU's rarely ever spin at 100%, even when I'm rendering with Redshift, Octane, etc). I'm actually running 3 6900XT's internally (the third one is plugged into the bottom PCIe slot with a PCIe 4.0 4x to 16x extension due to a lack of space, with a 1600W PSU, and I haven't had any issues. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation (the Fractal North case is great for that).

At one point I was running 4 GPU's internally on the same 1600W PSU. the 4th one was plugged into one of the NVMe slots with an NVMe to PCIe 16x extension but it got a little annoying with all the cable management, so I just settled on 3 GPUs. I actually ran 3 with just a 1200W PSU for almost 3 years on my previous system, so you should be fine, power-wise.

In theory you could even run more GPU's if you want to fill out the other NVMe slots and TB3 ports, but at a certain point you'll get bottlenecked by the Chipset's PCIe lane allocation (forget how many lanes the chipset offers on this board), and your PSU (although you could always use multiple PSU's if you want).

Last edited:
Back