Contribute
Register

ASUS prime Z370-A Big Sur 11.2 sleep problem

For my latest quarterly maintenance update, I've updated my EFI folder to OpenCore 0.8.8 using OCAT.

On a semi-related note, I "unretired" my old Gigabyte P55M-UD4 machine a little while back and installed Big Sur on it. Because it's a pre-UEFI system, you need to run the LegacyBoot script to enable the bootloader to work. I discovered that my system would not see the OS partitions and the bootpicker menu only displayed OpenShell. After various troubleshooting attempts, I narrowed it down to the LegacyBoot script packaged with OC 0.8.8. To successfully boot my updated EFI folder, I had to run the LegacyBoot script from the 0.8.4 package.

If I'm not mistaken, that would be achieved by changing the AAPL,ig-platform-id entry from 07009B3E (3 display connectors) to 0300913E (0 display connectors)

Great idea - might work for the Z370-A system, but not for the i7 12700K (Z690 system) where the iGPU is not recognized in macOS.

Not to be beaten, installed Gigabyte 6600 XT dGPUs which seem to have solved the screen distortions.

Not to be beaten, installed Gigabyte 6600 XT dGPUs which seem to have solved the screen distortions.

I'm still running a single monitor set up and don't do anything remotely computationally intensive so I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a dGPU yet. In fact, things are running pretty smoothly on the OpenCore front these days with OCAT so my next project will likely be to convert an old Wintel box into a combination TrueNAS Scale server, pfSense firewall router, and possibly a Plex media server. :)

I've updated my EFI folder to OpenCore 0.8.8

Thanks for the update - worked fine with very smooth Ventura 13.2 update!

Edit: Graphics card

btw ... the graphics card for the Z370-A build was upgraded to a Gigabyte RX 6600 XT - sadly not included in the Signature options.

The Signature option for the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT OC is reasonably close to the RX 6600 XT.

Last edited:
Another 3 months have passed, so I've updated my EFI folder to the latest OpenCore 0.9.1 using OCAT. Everything appears stable so far. As per usual, please note that you'll need to input your own PlatformInfo values for ROM (onboard ethernet MAC address), MLB, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID to ensure that the various iServices work properly.

I must admit that it's almost effortless to update the the OpenCore bootloader and kexts with OCAT. Once the base config.plist is created, the required kexts are in place, and the USB ports are mapped, it's really a breeze to maintain the EFI folder using OCAT. The only manual editing I do now is bump the revision level in the comments at the top of the config.plist file. In fact, it's so simple that I question whether it's even necessary for me to continue posting my EFI folder updates. It probably takes more time for someone to update their PlatformInfo values than it does to run OCAT for themselves...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11 MB · Views: 53
In fact, it's so simple that I question whether it's even necessary for me to continue posting my EFI folder updates

Your EFI folders are the gold standard for the Z370-A Coffee Lake - please keep posting updates.

Your EFI folders are the gold standard for the Z370-A Coffee Lake - please keep posting updates.

Thanks for your kind words! I'm happy to keep posting quarterly updates if they are helpful to others. :)

Hi Scimitar,

Add my name to the list of grateful users for your fantastic build!! I was stuck on Catalina with Clover for the longest time as I didn't quite understand open core or have the time to make it work. Just made the switch to your latest EFI and Ventura and it couldn't have been easier. The only change I made was to add a kext for my 2nd NIC which is a Realtek RTK8111. I've also go a RX580 video card and multi-display works without any changes. What's not working are the two USB ports on the front of my case which I assume need to be mapped? I'm not entirely sure I trust myself in mapping them out, but I'll give it a try.....

Thanks again!

Add my name to the list of grateful users for your fantastic build!!

You're most welcome! I'm glad you were able to make use of it. :)

What's not working are the two USB ports on the front of my case which I assume need to be mapped?

It's likely that you've run into the same issue that some others have re: the front panel USB ports. The details are in this post:

In short, I had to leave off a pair of headers from my USB port map to stay under the 15 port limit for MacOS. My guess is that you're using header U31G1_34 for your front panel USB ports.

I'm not entirely sure I trust myself in mapping them out, but I'll give it a try.....

You can look at the USB headers on your motherboard and if it's not already plugged in there, switch the front panel USB connector to U31G1_12 on your motherboard (Connector A in the illustration).

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remap the USB ports based on your setup. The OC tools are pretty easy to use so just follow the guide and replace my USBMap.kext with yours.

Good luck!!!

Back