Contribute
Register

ASUS prime Z370-A Big Sur 11.2 sleep problem

As pointed out by @CaseySJ, multi-monitor and iGPU is not a winning combination. For that you need dGPU.
Sure, but he also doesn't say why. It looks like there are people running multi monitor setups with UHD 630. I just can't figure out how they do it.

Btw. Do you think my USB map (post #106) is fine? I wonder why there are only 2 USB2 ports in the list.

Do you think my USB map (post #106) is fine?

The best answer to this question may lie in answering the following about your system:

What Works/Not
Sleep/wake with/without USB drive inserted (different (ports)
Shutdown with/without USB drive inserted (different (ports)
USB2/3 drive visible in Finder (different (ports)
iMessage
Facetime
Audio
etc.

OP will be interested in the results when you post them. Also, post an image of About This Mac (Serial # hidden).

The problem arises because multi monitor isn't working correctly, in other words DP + HDMI at the same time doesn't work. When i remove the DP cable, HDMI is working correctly.

Yes, that's something I still need to figure out when I have time this weekend. What I've determined so far is that Connector 0 is DisplayPort and Connector 1 is HDMI, which leaves Connector 2 as DVI. I think I need to test changing the BusIDs next to see if that fixes the problem with the windowshade display anomaly.

I tried removing the entries in Device Property for con0/DP (and con2/DVI), but that doesn't disable them. (con2/DVI isn't working anyways)

If you remove the entries, that just defaults all of the connectors to DisplayPort. I think what you need to do is to disable the connector by changing the value for framebuffer-con0-enable (DisplayPort) and framebuffer-con2-enable (DVI) from <01000000> to <00000000>. That will tell the iGPU to turn off those connectors, leaving only HDMI active. I've done that in the attached config.plist so feel free to test it.

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.7 KB · Views: 31
The best answer to this question may lie in answering the following about your system:

What Works/Not
Sleep/wake with/without USB drive inserted (different (ports)
Shutdown with/without USB drive inserted (different (ports)
USB2/3 drive visible in Finder (different (ports)
iMessage
Facetime
Audio
etc.

OP will be interested in the results when you post them. Also, post an image of About This Mac (Serial # hidden).
Ok, thanks.

I've tested some scenarios but not every possible combination. USB seems to work fine. I can use USB2/3 data sticks in all ports. I 've also tested a USB camera. I have a wired keyboard plugged into an old USB hub and a wireless mouse working. Sleep/wake up seems to work. All devices are still connected and working after wake up.

I should probably try to do some kind of USB transfer speed test. I don't have an USB audio device to test, which would be interesting to see if it's operates at low latencies. Another test could be connecting a MIDI keyboard to some kind of MIDI host and see if it stays connected after sleep/wake. I have my doubts this would work even under ideal conditions, but who knows. Please note that i never use sleep mode myself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.10.27.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.10.27.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
If you remove the entries, that just defaults all of the connectors to DisplayPort. I think what you need to do is to disable the connector by changing the value for framebuffer-con0-enable (DisplayPort) and framebuffer-con2-enable (DVI) from <01000000> to <00000000>. That will tell the iGPU to turn off those connectors, leaving only HDMI active. I've done that in the attached config.plist so feel free to test it.
I've tried this using <00000000> on DP and DVI ports, but it unfortunately didn't work. Same problem as described in post #107. I hope you can figure out what's going one. Thanks for your help!

I've just created a thread about mds_stores running after every startup. May have a look at it.

I should probably try to do some kind of USB transfer speed test.

I don't think that's really necessary. From the About This Mac screen, select System Report..., which will open the System Information app. Under Hardware, select USB and you'll see a bunch of info on each USB device connected. Look for the Speed field and it should say something like "Up to 5 Gb/s" for USB 3, "Up to 480 Mb/s" for USB 2, and "Up to 12 Mb/s" for USB 1.1. So take your USB 3 devices, plug them into the various USB 3 ports and do a File > Refresh Information and check the USB section for the reported speed for each port. If you plugged a USB 3 device into a USB 3 port but it only reports USB 2 speeds, then your mapping isn't correct.

Back