Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
If you already have an OS I suggest downloading the OSX Combo update 10.6.7, Nvidia Update Drivers found in the downloads section of this website, AutoDSDT patcher which you can find here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523 and the latest version of multibeast and store them either on a dvd or a thumb drive. You will obviously also need a copy of snow leopard which you can buy for $30.

Ensure only 4GB's of ram are in the system, you can add any additional ram you have later.

Part 1)

Bios:

Easiest way to go about this is set all settings to default (thus cancelling any overclock settings or other adjustments that have been made).. I do suggest copying down any overclock settings you made prior/or just save a cmos profile so you can set it back later.

Make sure everything related to ACPI is set to Enabled.
Make sure on first page you set storage configuration to AHCI
You also need to go to (I think it's the third page but i'll check in a bit) and set the Marvell Controller to AHCI as well.
Set your boot options to the hard drive you will install Snow Leopard on, followed by CD rom, followed by any additional hard drives.
There is also a page where you can set 'hard drive' priority, make sure you have the drive you intend to install Snow Leopard on at the top.

Download Iboot Legacy or Iboot (I used legacy the first time, and i used regular iboot regular edition the second time and it worked)

Reboot computer with Iboot Disc inside tray. Once you get to the Iboot loader screen, remove the iboot disc and replace it with the Snow Leopard disc and press F5. The Iboot disc will change to Snow Leopard, make sure it is highlighted and type GraphicsEnabler=0 and press enter. (This was the very important part for my particular graphics card)

Once it's done loading, set language to English and press forward button. This will bring you to a screen that will allow you to continue the install process. Prior to clicking continue however, you need to click utilities on the top, and then goto Disk Utilities.

Once this is done you should see your hard drive on the left, as well as your DVD drive. Select your hard drive. Click on the 'Erase' option first. Make sure you erase the drive, you will be given the option to do 'Mac OS (Extended Journal)'. You will also be given the option to name the drive just enter Snowleopard (no spaces).

Once it has completed the erase (which should be very very quick) click the partition tab). On the left hand side again make sure your hard drive is selected. Under Volume Scheme set it to 1 partition. Then click on options and ensure it you have GUID selected. You will need to make sure to change the name to Snowleopard again. Make sure format is set to Mac OS Extended journal. Click Apply then click Partition on the dialog that pops up. Should take only a few seconds for partition. Close disk utility by pressing the X on top left corner.

Now that this has all been done the rest of installation is pretty simple. You will be back on the main install screen. Click Continue, agree to the terms of service. Now you should see a screen that will let you click a partition named 'Snowleopard' which you created before. Click on it, but before clicking Install, click the customize button on bottom left corner. Deselect all options (this stuff can be installed later if needed) and will help the install go quicker. Once that's done click the install button. The install process will take about 15-20 minutes depending on your system. Once the install is reboot computer and remove the snow leopard disk, replace it with the Iboot Disk.

Once it reboots you should the iboot disc boot loader along with a drive now called Snow Leopard. Highlight the Snowleopard drive and again type in GraphicsEnabler=0 and press enter. Once this is done it will start loading and you will be greeted with the Apple welcome video, it will be very choppy as we disabled the graphicsenabler and because we have yet to install the Nvidia Graphics update, don't worry about this fact yet.

When the video finishes, choose your region, keyboard type. Select do not transfer my information now on the 'Do you own a mac screen'. When it asks you enter your apple Id just click continue without entering information in.. essentially use your best common sense on this stuff it is straight forward and continue through these screens.
For the 'Create your account screen' you will need to enter in a user name and password for the computer, do not forget these. Once you get past all these screens you should be booted into Snowleopard for the first time!

Part 2)

Take the 4 files i mentioned at the beginning of this post (Multibeast, Autodsdt patcher, Nvidia combo update and 10.6.7 combo update and drop them onto the desktop for easy access).

First thing to do is install the 10.6.7 combo update, just double click it and go through as normal.. It will ask you your account password for the install that you did during the install process earlier. The install process will take a little bit of time. Once at the end it will ask you to reboot however, do not reboot.. Just leave the 'reboot' screen open. Instead, open up the AUTODSDT patcher and select your motherboard brand, and board. Once you click continue or accept it will place a file on your desktop (I believe it's an XML or AML file or something like that i can't remember). Once that's done just close the autodst patcher and leave that file on your desktop. Do not reboot yet!

Open up Multibeast. Click continue, then continue. You will see your drive on this screen, click continue again. Now you will be on a screen with a bunch of check boxes. Here's the ones to check off:

1) UserDSDT.
2) System Utilities
3) Advanced options - Kexts - Audio - Universal.. There will be several options, click the oldest version available.

These should be the only 3 options selected. Click continue on the bottom right corner. It will give you the size of the install your about to do. Click install. It will again ask you for your password, enter the password and it will start installing. This will take a short period of time. Once the installation has been completed click the close button. Again, do NOT reboot. Instead, double click the Nvidia file i mentioned earlier and go through the installation process for this. It will also ask for your password near the end, enter it and let it install. This will again take a short period of time. Once this has all been completed you can reboot the computer, this time WITHOUT the iboot disc. If all goes well, the system should reload this time in full screen/proper resolution (due to the nvidia updater).

This was essentially about the end of my process. If you do not have audio when opening youtube or other similar website's try shutting down the computer. Pull the power cord out for several seconds, put power cord back in and reboot. Try re-opening youtube or other similar site for audio and you should hear sound.. Sound should not be working for all tools.

IF audio is STILL not working, try downloading Kext Utility (a tool to install Kext files.. Kexts are essentially drivers). Download VoodaHDA Kext. Drop the VoodaHDA kext into KextUtility and it will install this kext. Try shutting down computer, unplugging power cord again for several seconds and turn computer back on. You should have sound.

I know this is a long tutorial but I tried to be as detailed as I could (I only did this a few times so i'm going off memory, I'm pretty sure I did not miss anything however if you have any troubles message here and I will try to help).

Once everything is running stable (which at this point it should be pretty solid) feel free to shut down computer, place any additional ram you have in the drive and reload your overclock profile.

I recommend downloading 'Temperature Monitor' to check on the temps of your CPU if overclocking.

Enjoy!

Thanks again for the additional breakdown for us extra noobs and to save a boatload of time by sharing your experience!

So far I have followed your guide step for step with the only difference being an i7 processor

When I boot, I need to first go with "PCIRootUID=1 Graphicsenabler=0"

On to part 2 now!

Disk Utilities = System Utilities for multibeast I hope? Anyways I'm going with that option and the oldest version they have available is VoodooHDA 0.2.1

Holy crap! It works! Great guide thanks again. I love my new 42" mac home theater lol. Now on to getting graphics card and network adapter card to work

Yes, I did mean system utilities. I've updated the post change thanks for the heads up.

I've included both VoodaHDA.Kext and the Realtek network driver that worked for me on this post. Try the Realtek driver to get your networking working.. Use kext utility to install them.

Ps.. Are your graphics drivers not working? I noticed you have the same card as me, following the instructions above it should be working with that nvidia update you can get from the downloads section of this site.

Attachments

• RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 158
  • VoodooHDA.kext.zip
    157 KB · Views: 170
Everything is working except my two network cards aren't working, but I just ordered this so that I can get wifi N (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15246)... Afterall what good is a gaming computer if I can't play people online and brag about my new badass mac!

The other thing I am currently looking to set up is my display better. The resolution is now full 1080p plug and play from this graphics card from the beginning. For anyone looking to make a HTPC like I did, this graphics card is definitely awesome for this. Straight HDMI port to the TV = 1080p... its fun doing BIOS settings on a huge screen haha.

But yeah, there is about a 1.5-2 inch border all around the screen that is just black. I am playing around with settings trying to get it to work. BTW if you are trying to change your resolution, the screen will turn bright blue and you won't be able to see anything. The fix for this is to just unplug and replug the HDMI cable and you will be able to see the new resolution. I had this issue on PC too, but nVidia had tools to let me play around with it. If there are any tips anyone has I would be very appreciative :)

Ahh well the kext file i provided above would get the onboard networking working.. As far as any separately purchased network cards go i dont think i'd be much help with that. I haven't had to change my resolution but I'm using a monitor at 1920x1080 which is perfect for me heh. Must be nice on the big screen!

By onboard networking do you mean just plugging in an ethernet cable?

Work great for me too!! Same system but with a Nvidia GTS260.

Thanks for the Guide!!
:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back