Contribute
Register

ASUS Maximus Impact VIII + Skylake 6700K with only USB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be joining you in the efforts on the VIII Impact. I have parts on order and they should be arriving later this week. I plan on swapping out the WLAN for a Broadcom BCM94352Z. This will be my first customac attempt as well.

If I have any luck with the swapped WLAN, I will let you know!

Last edited:
My Config.plist: ...

You've mashed together all three patches in KextsToPatch, so it's no surprise that they don't all work.

Each patch entry should be <dict>...</dict> and there should be an <array> around the whole thing:
<array><dict>...</dict><dict>...</dict><dict>...</dict></array>

I got 10.11.2 installed and running on my first day of trials. Still have some problems to work through like the sound, LAN, and wifi, but I'll pick that back up later this week.

I have the same Asus mobo and Skylake processor and Nvidia 970. I have followed all the instructions in the guide and also am stopped at the apple logo and meter where the lights go out for the usb mouse and keyboard indicating, presumably, that USB is not functioning for the installation, both USB 2 and 3 ports. It is likely that there is a syntax error in my patched configplist, it would be helpful if a corrected complete configplist were posted (if there is one I missed it), but there could be other issues given that OSX does not natively support this platform.

I gave it a day or so and could not get it running and since my OCD is not what it used to be will hold off for now. Hopefully the cognescenti wizards on this web site will devise a simpler method once Apple is selling more skylake machines with native support, maybe in the first quarter of next year.

I have this board up and running fine with OS X 10.11.2 (via Clover UEFI v3330).

• Audio: Works using toleda's latest Skylake-compatible patches (ty toleda). A minor issue is that sound seems to shut off in OSX after ~10 seconds of inactivity, and upon reactivation the 1st initial bit of sound is silenced (ergo, one might not hear an alert or notification they otherwise would if there's been no other sound for awhile). There's also a slightly audible tonal background hum when using the headphone port, I'm guessing from some sort of EM interference, though this disappears whenever actual sound is being played—and it occurs in Windows just the same, so is not a Hackintosh-specific issue. Been meaning to contact ASUS about it, but lazy; the problem source could also be the case front panel.
  • Bluetooth: Works OotB with no special kexts or modifications required.
  • Graphics (Intel HD 530): Not working, but I'm using discrete gfx… so whatever. There is a delay during startup though when OS X attempts to initialize this (I'd turn IGFX off, but can't given a particular way I've to rig the R9 380 into a workable state…).
  • Graphics (AMD Radeon 380): Mostly works, albeit in a convoluted way. Display will turn off and refuse to turn back on during OSX boot phase—unless I set BIOS primary GPU to IGFX and allow discrete gfx to activate when the system reaches desktop. To achieve this I've Clover injecting both Intel & ATI graphics. As well, the card must be toggled to UEFI mode and CSM in BIOS disabled. It does seem the fans don't activate unless under very heavy load, so the card can get quite hot after hours of casual non-gaming usage (such that they'll blow max speed like a jet turbine post-reboot when the fans do their initial spin up). I'm assuming that to get this card more fully operational in OSX there's some additional device strings that need to be passed? No idea, and unfortunately there appears to be little to no interest in the community re: these cards, so there's scarcely any extant information to work from.
  • LAN: Works using newer Intel LAN kexts listed here; I prefer IntelMausiEthernet.
  • Memory: OSX mistakenly reports a total of 4 memory slots (2 filled, 2 available). As far as I know, this is only cosmetic and shouldn't affect actual functionality nor performance.
  • Sleep: Appears to work with no edits necessary. Drives, Graphics, USB, and LAN are all operational post-wake. I don't use sleep/hibernate much, but I'd be glad to test aspects of this further if someone wants.
  • USB: All 6 USB3 ports (2x front, 4x back) work as USB2 without edit; the USB-A 3.1 port also works as USB2; nothing to plug into USB-C 3.1 port, so cannot test. USB3 should work, I just haven't gotten around to implementing the ElCap pertinent fixes for it.
  • WiFi: Not working, no known kexts for enabling Qualcomm Atheros module (168c:003e).
x3W2bDT.png
trFy1sj.png

I think that covers everything so far. If anyone's curious for further details/information about whatever, ask.

I'm interested in your geekbench score, 23 or 64-bit whatever. What I've seen until now (Z170 & 6700k)is a bit low. I would like to see at least 20k with a bit of overclocking...

I'm interested in your geekbench score, 23 or 64-bit whatever. What I've seen until now (Z170 & 6700k)is a bit low. I would like to see at least 20k with a bit of overclocking...

Just ran it in 64-bit; haven't done any overclocking.

Single: 5122
Multi: 19133

Integer

Floating Point

Memory

I have the same Asus mobo and Skylake processor and Nvidia 970. I have followed all the instructions in the guide and also am stopped at the apple logo and meter where the lights go out for the usb mouse and keyboard indicating, presumably, that USB is not functioning for the installation, both USB 2 and 3 ports. It is likely that there is a syntax error in my patched configplist, it would be helpful if a corrected complete configplist were posted (if there is one I missed it), but there could be other issues given that OSX does not natively support this platform.

I gave it a day or so and could not get it running and since my OCD is not what it used to be will hold off for now. Hopefully the cognescenti wizards on this web site will devise a simpler method once Apple is selling more skylake machines with native support, maybe in the first quarter of next year.

Can I ask which guide you're using? I was able to get through a full install by very carefully following Ammulder's guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/179221-skylake-starter-guide.html

I still need to get through the post-installation setup, but I was able to get through the install fairly easily and this is my first attempt at a customac.

I still need to get through the post-installation setup, but I was able to get through the install fairly easily and this is my first attempt at a customac.

Same here. Getting through the initial install is easy, and can be accomplished just like any other Hackintosh on previous chipsets once IOAPIC 24-119 is disabled in BIOS (or circumvented with the Pike patch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back