Contribute
Register

ASUS G73JH keyboard backlighting... WORKING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to try this on my G73SW however on 10.8.3 most of the kext I am using are KP. Able to trouble shoot a little in single user however I am practically stuck at stock install of 10.8.3. Researched a lot on this topic and little success. If any on who has successfully got there Asus G73SW working on 10.8.3 I would really love to talk to you.
Ben

I would love to try this on my G73SW however on 10.8.3 most of the kext I am using are KP. Able to trouble shoot a little in single user however I am practically stuck at stock install of 10.8.3. Researched a lot on this topic and little success. If any on who has successfully got there Asus G73SW working on 10.8.3 I would really love to talk to you.
Ben

What kext? What is the KP? Have you installed yet?

This topic is specifically about keyboard backlights... Something you would be doing after having a working install. It is not a troubleshooting thread for G73JH.

I am having trouble getting the backlight working (G73JH-X1 w/ unlocked 213 bios v5 from http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...um/670921-asus-g73jh-bd-prochot-bios-mod.html )
i am running OSX 10.8.4 Mountain Lion.

I edited my DSDT per the instructions in this thread and still no keyboard light. It works in Windows so I know my keyboard backlight works fine.
I attached the DSDT i am using right now for this laptop (I extracted and patched it myself using MaciASL)

ioreg -n PS2K -r PS2K | grep -y oem-id
does not print anything to term window

ioreg -n FakeSMC -r FakeSMC | grep mb-
"mb-manufacturer" = "ASUSTeK Computer Inc. "
"mb-product" = "G73Jh"

Console Log shows this error when "Ctrl_Alt_+" is pressed rather then changing the backlight. same happens when "Ctrl_Alt_-" is pressed
kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key 4e=0, 0=80 (when "+" is used) kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key 4a=0, 0=80 (when "-" is used)
kernel[0]: ps2bl: KKCM returned error

I have tried running different (older) releases of Voodoo (2013-226),(2013-0407),(2013-0526) and all 3 result in no keyboard backlight functionality.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    22.2 KB · Views: 102
I am having trouble getting the backlight working (G73JH-X1 w/ unlocked 213 bios v5 from http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...um/670921-asus-g73jh-bd-prochot-bios-mod.html )
i am running OSX 10.8.4 Mountain Lion.

I edited my DSDT per the instructions in this thread and still no keyboard light. It works in Windows so I know my keyboard backlight works fine.
I attached the DSDT i am using right now for this laptop (I extracted and patched it myself using MaciASL)

ioreg -n PS2K -r PS2K | grep -y oem-id
does not print anything to term window

ioreg -n FakeSMC -r FakeSMC | grep mb-
"mb-manufacturer" = "ASUSTeK Computer Inc. "
"mb-product" = "G73Jh"

Console Log shows this error when "Ctrl_Alt_+" is pressed rather then changing the backlight. same happens when "Ctrl_Alt_-" is pressed
kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key 4e=0, 0=80 (when "+" is used) kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key 4a=0, 0=80 (when "-" is used)
kernel[0]: ps2bl: KKCM returned error

I have tried running different (older) releases of Voodoo (2013-226),(2013-0407),(2013-0526) and all 3 result in no keyboard backlight functionality.

There was one other person with this same issue. The problem was the patched BIOS. Try flashing official BIOS, install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext instead. IMO, patching BIOS is not worth it anyway, given that the problem can be avoided with a simple kext patch.

I reverted to the stock 213 bios and switched to the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext , same result. did I patch my DSDT wrong?

I reverted to the stock 213 bios and switched to the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext , same result. did I patch my DSDT wrong?

Is 213 the latest BIOS?? Keep in mind I don't have this laptop... It is pretty hard to screw up the DSDT patch as MaciASL does all the work. And what I saw looked correct.

yes, 213 is the latest BIOS according to ASUS http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G73Jh/#support_Download_30
I am going to compile Voodoo from source vs. using the binary and see what that does as I am at a loss as to why it does not work.

If the method is failing, then it means the ATKD.SLKB method is failing, so to debug requires elimination of bits of that code to determine what is causing the problem. Are you using rolled-back AppleACPIPlatform.kext or anything funky like that?

actually, I may be using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback. I do remember checking that in MultiBeast after the 10.8.4 update so I most likely am. the problem is that i am not sure i kept a backup of the original.

EDIT:same thing happens with the compiled one. I am going to see if I can get an original AppleACPIPlatform.kext (10.8.4) from my other box.

EDIT2: I extracted the vanilla 10.8.4 AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the combo updater and am using that now.
still no-go. I get the same error and no keyboard backlight.

EDIT3: I tried to get this working again by starting over with a vanilla DSDT (extracted from within Windows using RWEverything) and patching it with HPET,DTGP, and your patch for the keyboard backlight.

the result: same problem as before , same error as before. I do not understand what could be the problem. the keyboard lights work in both Windows and Linux.

If the method is failing, then it means the ATKD.SLKB method is failing, so to debug requires elimination of bits of that code to determine what is causing the problem. Are you using rolled-back AppleACPIPlatform.kext or anything funky like that?

I reverted back to vanilla AppleACPIPlatform,AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, patched a newly extracted DSDT,and compiled the latest build of Voodoo from source.
result: No backlight.

is there anything else I can try to get the backlight working?

I do know it works in Ubuntu and Windows (all 3 brightness levels) so I know for a fact that my keyboard backlight functions and is not broken/defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back