Contribute
Register

ASUS BT400 on M1 MacBook Pro with Venura 13.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems you are confused as to what this site is for.
I appreciate this forum is for hackintosh folk. I am happy to look elsewhere if no one here is interested in helping. No hard feelings.
Please don't use hackintosh kexts on a real Apple Silicon Mac that doesn't need them to function.
I guess I assumed that this was a valid use case, particularly because there is a dedicated BrcmPatchRAM README for installing on original Mac hardware?

I appreciate this forum is for hackintosh folk. I am happy to look elsewhere if no one here is interested in helping. No hard feelings.

I guess I assumed that this was a valid use case, particularly because there is a dedicated BrcmPatchRAM README for installing on original Mac hardware?
what version of macOS are you running?

Your MBP 16" uses USI BT and not Broadcom. I don't believe any of the latest M1/M2 Macs still use Broadcom.
The MacBook Pro's wireless is provided by a USI 339S00912, but digging around in driver .plist files helped. This controller handles 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Searching the internet a few people say these https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/4103.html will work with Ventura 13.1 using just the Bluetoolfixup kext. If you want to try that, they don't cost much. SIP has to be disabled for the kext to load so do that as well. I can't verify that it will work as I've never owned one. Probably worth a shot if you are in a BT dilemma.

Newegg has them.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1GK-0001-00014?

Here's one more thing that might be important, a terminal command.

Option 1. Commands via Terminal​

You can send a special command to the system through the terminal (command line), which will allow the system to use the Bluetooth Dongle by default for Bluetooth devices.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window:

Code:
sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always

Then you'll need to enter the password from your Mac account and press Enter.

Last edited:
Long range Sonnet BT 4 works out of the box, not sure about what works on it and what not but mouse/keyboard works fine.

Long range Sonnet BT 4 works out of the box, not sure about what works on it and what not but mouse/keyboard works fine.
Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention, I have just placed an order for one. Not the cheapest but if it works without schenanigans then it'll be worth it.

Your MBP 16" uses USI BT and not Broadcom. I don't believe any of the latest M1/M2 Macs still use Broadcom.

Searching the internet a few people say these https://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/4103.html will work with Ventura 13.1 using just the Bluetoolfixup kext. If you want to try that, they don't cost much. SIP has to be disabled for the kext to load so do that as well. I can't verify that it will work as I've never owned one. Probably worth a shot if you are in a BT dilemma.

Newegg has them.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1GK-0001-00014?

Here's one more thing that might be important, a terminal command.

Option 1. Commands via Terminal​

You can send a special command to the system through the terminal (command line), which will allow the system to use the Bluetooth Dongle by default for Bluetooth devices.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window:

Code:

Then you'll need to enter the password from your Mac account and press Enter.
Thanks so much for all this information. I've ordered a "Sonnet Long-Range Bluetooth 4.0" for now (since this apparently might be plug and play) however if this doesn't work then I'll definitely take a look at the Orico BTA-409.

I will also try the `bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior` command you've suggested tomorrow before I return the ASUS BT400.

Tried the
Code:
command today but still no joy with the ASUS BT400. Its now on its way back to Amazon. Fingers crossed the Sonnet does the trick. Thanks again for all your input.

Long story but I am trying to implement a solution where-by I can share my magic mouse between machines without having to keep turning bluetooth on and off and sliding the switch underneath. The end plan is to connect the ASUS BT400 to a USB dock, pair the magic mouse with the BT400 and then hopefully which ever device is connected to the USB dock will be able to use the magic mouse.

I haven't tested this... It's just a theory...

Since Magic Mice can be paired simply by connecting it to a Mac via USB Lightning cable, you should be able to pair it to any computer connected to your dock just by leaving a Lightning cable plugged in to your dock and plug/unplug the Magic Mouse whenever you change computers.

Btw, those acidanthera kexts probably need Lilu to be installed to work.

Last edited:
I haven't tested this... It's just a theory...

Since Magic Mice can be paired simply by connecting it to a Mac via USB Lightning cable, you should be able to pair it to any computer connected to your dock just by leaving a Lightning cable plugged in to your dock and plug/unplug the Magic Mouse whenever you change computers.

Btw, those acidanthera kexts probably need Lilu to be installed to work.
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I have an original Magic Mouse at present and not sure having to plug and unplug a cable is enough of an improvement to consider upgrading to the Magic Mouse 2 (and I'm also hoping to have the keyboard switch with the mouse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back