Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Asrock Z390 phantom gaming-itx Failed at building hackingtosh, i need all the help i can get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX
CPU
I5-9600k
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580
Hey guys and girls,

just trying at least for 4 days to build an hackingtosh. Used many guides, patches and so on, with random freezes, crashes and stops.

My configuration

Mainboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming-itx with BIOS 1.6 (Tried also 1.2) (Also tried the Asrock Patch)
Bios Settings where taken from this thread
CPU Intel i5-9600k
Ram 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000
Graphics Radeon RX580 Sapphire 8GB
Wifi Modul BCM94360CS2
Power supply bequiet 500W
Corsair NVME MP510 Force 500Gb (Tried also with sata Crucial MX300 500GB)

USB Stick Sandisk USB 3.0 32GB tried installation from USB 3.0 I/O port and Frontpanel USB 2.0
MacBook pro 13.3" for preparing usb Stick
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 so i tried it with the news version.

I installed to a second nvme Windows 10, where everything works like charm. Memtest was also done, so i think the hardware is okay.

I need your help, sorry to tell this but after 4 days of trying i could even start into macOS.

So with your help, i would like to go step by step. Im ready and will post after a step my results here if its okay : )

Hate to break the news to you but Asrock Z390 motherboards are the least likely to be successfully hackintoshed without a lot of hard work and research. It would be best if you post for help in that thread linked above to get specific guidance.

Here's a quote from rj510 that gives you a clue why installing hasn't worked.
I did not start this build with a clean install, but instead used SuperDuper to clone a working Mojave 10.14.4 Aorus Designare Z390 build (based on CaseySJ's thread). I use this cloned SSD to 'seed' the new build, preferring this over the tedium of using a USB flash drive to perform a fresh install.

Hate to break the news to you but Asrock Z390 motherboards are the least likely to be successfully hackintoshed.
Is this the same for ASRock Z/H 370 boards? @trs96. I’m looking around for a 370 board at the moment and want to make sure I pick a good one.

Is this the same for ASRock Z/H 370 boards? @trs96. I’m looking around for a 370 board at the moment and want to make sure I pick a good one.
According to vit9696 the firmware for most Z390 boards is a mess. Doesn't seem to be the same case for Z370. Those are much more hackintosh friendly.

Status update.
I patched the Asrok Bios to 1.6 again and installed Windows on the MPForce 510 to check if its maybe faulty.
Okay did some prime, and 3dmark everything worked great. Than i removed the RX580 and repeated everything with the funny result that after i loaded the iGPU with some rendering, the system will freeze. So im now in the position to say that i have maybe a faulty mainboard or CPU, or of course BIOS problems. With the RX580 everything works perfect. I also changed the ram sticks with no effects, i will try next the newest BIOS update to 4.0 and if this will not help get a new Mainboard. Would be funny if the iGPU is faulty, because in my lifetime of over 1000 CPU i saw maybe 1 or 2 that where faulty

Status Update 2.0
After BIOS update 4.0 the freezes in Windows 10 stopped. I tried again a Mojave installation and now it was just so smoothly and easy without Problems, of Course you still need the Asrock DSDT patch.

So Reminder:
Using this Mainboard with an i5-9600k is only possibly by updating the BIOS to 4.0 and of course the Asrock DST Patch.
Maybe ist also possible by shutting the iGPU completly off and using a normal GPU, but the possiblity for bugs are still high.

After 5 days my Frustration is down, not only because i got it to install, but because of the Problems i had to learn so much About clover, Bootloader and so on, that i actually understand how to get the rest easy done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back