1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Color Classic
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I just finished building a PC...my first! Long time Mac owner since 1985 with several Macs owned. My current late edition 2009 iMac is not going to get the job done for astrophotography projects.

So my son helped me build a PC that I can operate as a dual boot machine. I'm looking for help to create a Hackintosh. My build is as follows ANY and ALL help would be appreciated.

I attempted with following the High Sierra instruction guide but when I tried to boot from the flash drive I received a "Missing Operating System" error.

• MoBo: ASRock B450 Steel Legend
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: MSI Raedon 570
  • Memory: 2x8 Geil Evo X DDR4 3200
  • Storage:
    • M.2 NVME 512Gb
    • 512Gb SSD (Sata)

Hello,
I just finished building a PC...my first! Long time Mac owner since 1985 with several Macs owned. My current late edition 2009 iMac is not going to get the job done for astrophotography projects.

So my son helped me build a PC that I can operate as a dual boot machine. I'm looking for help to create a Hackintosh. My build is as follows ANY and ALL help would be appreciated.

I attempted with following the High Sierra instruction guide but when I tried to boot from the flash drive I received a "Missing Operating System" error.

• MoBo: ASRock B450 Steel Legend
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: MSI Raedon 570
  • Memory: 2x8 Geil Evo X DDR4 3200
  • Storage:
    • M.2 NVME 512Gb
    • 512Gb SSD (Sata)
i have given you your own thread

it is possible you may need to use a later version of macOS, Catalina maybe

you can create a usb installer in the link in my signature using windows if needs be

Feartech, thanks so much for your assistance. I'm completely new to the whole Hackintosh culture, but with first child in college and three more following, treating myself to a new iMac, iMac Pro or Mac Pro just isn't in the cards. My son has become rather competent in his knowledge of PC building and we enjoyed our first build together. He tried for weeks to explain the benefits of switching to a PC but...I am a scientist and use windows all day... corporate build and hated them. After building my own, it's quite nice, and amazed at the performance. I moved into more of a data scientists, data/knowledge management role and really just love the fact my Mac just...well, works! (Ok, maybe not my 2009 late model anymore...hence the need). I also like a challenge...but, this is pretty daunting. Perhaps not so bad if I opted for the Intel processor...but really not much out there for AMD.. and the links that are, seem to be dead.

I used the unibeast tool to create the bootable drive... from my own iMac running High Sierra (quite sluggishly...) twice, but still same error. I am not sure if this is because of a BIOS error or not. There are some BIOS settings that I do not see on the Steel Legend and therefore not sure if this MoBo is compatible.

Again, appreciate your assistance, kicking this into a separate discussion thread and hopefully we'll get a great discussion going.

I used the unibeast tool to create the bootable drive... from my own iMac running High Sierra (quite sluggishly...) twice, but still same error.
It would be best to use the OpenCore bootloader with your Ryzen system. Unibeast installs Clover to the USB drive. Using Clover with an AMD CPU system is possible but more difficult, especially for beginners. You can use gibMacOS on your iMac to download Catalina and then use the Createinstallmedia method to set up your USB drive.

Okay...and where might I find that? I don't see that in any location within Downloads.

Many thanks.

Okay...and where might I find that? I don't see that in any location within Downloads.

Many thanks.
Watch the gibmacOS video tutorial. Has everything you need, including links. You'll make the USB with Catalina on it first. After that is ready then you'll start working on your OC config.plist.

Last edited:
never mind late in the day!

It would be best to use the OpenCore bootloader with your Ryzen system. Unibeast installs Clover to the USB drive. Using Clover with an AMD CPU system is possible but more difficult, especially for beginners. You can use gibMacOS on your iMac to download Catalina and then use the Createinstallmedia method to set up your USB drive.

Attempting to run..but the InstallESDDmg.pkg file is missing...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.26.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.26.29 PM.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 85
Attempting to run..but the InstallESDDmg.pkg file is missing...
Something may have gone amiss with your internet connection. Try downloading it again. gibMacOS doesn't give any notices about your internet going off line.

Something may have gone amiss with your internet connection. Try downloading it again. gibMacOS doesn't give any notices about your internet going off line.
Unlikely. I've don't it a few times...all with the same result. I have a pretty solid Gb fiber connection and WiFi is >200Mbps. I've attempted on both my Mac and my PC....and the file is not present.

At the site itself, it has an inventory of the files within...

1600311983758.png

Compared to the files that were downloaded.... Grabbed a screen shot from the PC just for comparison.

1600312059223.png

I found myself in a Newbie situation here and it's been quite sometime since I'm in this role :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back