4x RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I have a Gigabyte X299 Designare EX build with an ASMedia 2142 USB controller for the front USB-C port that should support 3.1 Gen 2 (10GB/s), but despite all of my attempts at USB mapping I can only get 5Gb/s.

I've tried:
  • USB type mappings for the port: 3 (USB 3.0 Type-A connector), 9 (Type C connector - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 with Switch), 10 (Type C connector - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 without Switch).
  • I've tested with three different 10Gb/s devices / cables, and they all give me a 5Gb/s link.
  • checked BIOS

I don't think it's an USB Mapping issue. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Does anyone know how to check the link speed on Windows?

Attachments

• ASMedia Front USB-C Port.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 1.21.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 1.21.15 PM.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 2.04.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 2.04.42 PM.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 43
Which case are you using?
  1. Does your case provide a compatible Type-C connector cable for USB3.2 Gen 2x2 speeds? or
  2. Does the case cable limit the throughput to the Case front Type-C port to 5Gbps?

Which case are you using?
  1. Does your case provide a compatible Type-C connector cable for USB3.2 Gen 2x2 speeds? or
  2. Does the case cable limit the throughput to the Case front Type-C port to 5Gbps?
Hey @Edhawk good question, I forgot to mention the case. It's a Fractal North, which should support USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds. This was also happening in a Jonsplus i400 case, which should also support 10Gbps. I read somewhere online that suggested getting an adapter for the USB-C header port, but what would that even be?? I'm puzzled.

An adapter for the Type-C header port would be a plate fixed to the rear of the case, alongside/among the PCIe cards in your system. Not ideal if you need a case front Type-C port. The link below shows the type of adapter they are suggesting you use.

The Spec sheets for the Fractal North case states the front Type-C port is USB3.1 Gen2, so it should work at 10Gbps speed.

Have you checked that the USB Type-C has been configured to run at full duplex, in the bios. As this is what enables these headers to work at 10Gbps speed. If it is not running at full duplex then the speed will be limited to USB3 speed, i.e. 5Gbps. I am not sure what USB options are available in your motherboard's bios. So this may be a bit of a wild goose chase.

I just notice a misconfiguration in your Hackintool screenshot. Specifically that you have the 2 x Type-C (10Gbps ports) set as Type-c without switch ,i.e connector type (10). But have a single USB2 speed Type-C port set with connector type Type-C with Switch, i.e. connector type (9). This is wrong. The same port won't be able to work with two different connector types.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 23.15.37.png

Change the USB2 port PXSX > HS01 to match the other PXSX ports. This might fix the port speed issue.

Just thought of another matter related to the Intel XHCI, ASMedia PXSX and Thunderbolt XHC3 USB controllers.

This is really important when there are more than the normal single XHC USB controller in a system:

Each USB controller can support a maximum of 15 ports, it is not an accumulation of 15 x ports for all 3 x controllers.

As there are a maximum of 4 x ports available to the PXSX controller so you should also enable the PXSX > HS02 port, as it and the other PXSX ports are counted in a separate 15 port limit.

Similarly you can add the other XHC3 > HS02 port to your configuration, without exceeding the 15 x port limit on this controller.

The 9 x Intel XHCI ports can be increased to a maximum of 15 x ports too.

The Intel XHCI controller is the only one that would exceed the 15 x port limit. It requires you drop some ports to to remain within the 15 x port limit.

The other 2 x USB controllers can activate the 4 x ports on each controller, without effecting the Intel USB controller limit.

Hope this makes sense.

Have you checked that the USB Type-C has been configured to run at full duplex, in the bios. As this is what enables these headers to work at 10Gbps speed. If it is not running at full duplex then the speed will be limited to USB3 speed, i.e. 5Gbps. I am not sure what USB options are available in your motherboard's bios. So this may be a bit of a wild goose chase.
Unfortunately the BIOS options are very limited. I'm afraid of updating, though, because Gigabyte has taken to a capsule-style BIOS (still not sure what that means), from which I supposedly can't downgrade if there are any issues post-update. The current options are:
  • Legacy USB Support – ENABLED
  • XHCI Handoff – ENABLED
  • USM Nass Storage Driver Suppor – ENABLED
  • Port 60/64 Emulation – ENABLED
I just notice a misconfiguration in your Hackintool screenshot. Specifically that you have the 2 x Type-C (10Gbps ports) set as Type-c without switch ,i.e connector type (10). But have a single USB2 speed Type-C port set with connector type Type-C with Switch, i.e. connector type (9). This is wrong. The same port won't be able to work with two different connector types.
That's just a mistake in my comments. All ports on PXSX are mapped as type 10.

Hope this makes sense.
Yeah, that all makes sense. The reason why I didn't have the HS02 ports filled for PXSX nor XHC3 is because neither of them respond to usb 2.0 devices from their HS02 ports, only HS01 (even when flipping the USB-C cable). I've done what you suggested, and filled out all of the ports but I'm still getting 5Gb/s.

I did notice one difference in the new kext USBMap Tool generated: the IOProviderClass for PXSX is IAppleASMediaUSBXHCI, while the previous kext had AppleUSBXHCIAR. I thought that was the secret sauce, but it hasn't made a difference. Could there be something else like this IOProviderClass detail that we're not looking into? Could the OS be failing to load the ASMedia driver? I swear I had this USB-C port mapped and functioning at 10Gb/s speeds at one point before... :confused:

Last edited:
here's what things look like with the new kext

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.35.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.35.22 AM.png
    289.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.37.51 AM.pdf
    935.2 KB · Views: 19
Your motherboard doesn’t have any physical USB2 ports, so I assume the Type-A ports listed are served from USB3 Type-A ports. That being the case the 9 x ports on the XHCI Controller are all set incorrectly. They should either be set as Internal, if served from a USB2 Header, or as USB3 if served from a Type-A USB3 port/Header.

How is this relevant to the PXSX controller, though? :confused: And there are two USB2.0 ports on the rear. All of the comments from the previous screenshot explain exactly where each port is from, but I'm pretty sure it's all mapped correctly. Check out the attached image.

Here's the breakdown:

HS01+02 = 2.0 personality from USB3_1 header (not used)
SS01+02 = 3.0 personality from USB3_1 header (not used)

HS03+04 = 2.0 personality from USB3_2 header (two front panel Type-A ports)
SS03+04 = 3.0 personality from USB3_2 header (two front panel Type-A ports)

HS05 = 2.0 personality from rear USB3.0 ports (four Type-A ports)
SS05 = 3.0 personality from rear USB3.0 ports (four Type-A ports)

HS07+08 = Rear 2.0 Type-A ports (these are the dedicated rear 2.0 ports)

HS09+10 = 2.0 USB2_1 header (not used)
HS13 = Internal BT module

Total = 15 ports.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 11.28.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 11.28.48 AM.png
    568.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back