Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering, despite the long standing "x86" in the name of the site, if anyone has begun working on running Big Sur on other ARM64 architectures like RPi or MS Surface ProX, etc now that macOS is natively built for it?

No one here is doing that. It may be a future development but right now it's strictly X86, Intel and AMD systems.

Just wondering, despite the long standing "x86" in the name of the site, if anyone has begun working on running Big Sur on other ARM64 architectures like RPi or MS Surface ProX, etc now that macOS is natively built for it?
Well there is, sort of. There was a recent discussion about this between one of our members here who works on Clover and our mod Pastrychef. macOS is not fully supported yet for other ARM platforms but some devs are looking at the possibilities >

macOS is not fully supported yet for other ARM platforms but some devs are looking at the possibilities >
This is why I said "future development." It's still a long ways off. We'll have to wait and see if anyone has success. An Apple SoC is ARM based but the similarity ends there. Apple has a lot of "secret sauce" that no one else making ARM systems has any access to. Look at Smart phones. Most everyone uses ARM processors in their phones but none of them are as good as the Apple A series. I've never seen anyone run iOS on and Android phone. They are going the same direction with macOS now. Locking it down to prevent people from running it on non-Apple hardware. Running macOS on Intel systems is going to be seen as the Golden Age of hackintoshing. it's not going to last forever.

Yeah, in regards to the non-Apple hardware situation, I would agree that we are reaching the end of a golden age. Given their new reliance on the neural engine hardware, it seems that this also has functional reasons beyond just locking down the OS.

On a similar line then, though: What about getting it running on actual Apple hardware...like the iPad with the M1 chip? I can't understand why Apple won't at least make that an option for power users.

Yeah, in regards to the non-Apple hardware situation, I would agree that we are reaching the end of a golden age. Given their new reliance on the neural engine hardware, it seems that this also has functional reasons beyond just locking down the OS.

On a similar line then, though: What about getting it running on actual Apple hardware...like the iPad with the M1 chip? I can't understand why Apple won't at least make that an option for power users.
I’m not sure about that, but I do know we now have Opencore Legacy Patcher to thank for running macOS on older machines. And yes they also apply to actual Macs. Dosdude1 is also working on something at the moment from what I understand.

This is why I said "future development." It's still a long ways off. We'll have to wait and see if anyone has success. An Apple SoC is ARM based but the similarity ends there. Apple has a lot of "secret sauce" that no one else making ARM systems has any access to. Look at Smart phones. Most everyone uses ARM processors in their phones but none of them are as good as the Apple A series. I've never seen anyone run iOS on and Android phone. They are going the same direction with macOS now. Locking it down to prevent people from running it on non-Apple hardware. Running macOS on Intel systems is going to be seen as the Golden Age of hackintoshing. it's not going to last forever.
Not only would you need to crack the CPU support but then the graphics. Who knows if there would even be VESA drivers for VGA that would be compatible. The Mac Pro is our best foot in the door. The 6.1 2013 model still supported in Monterey. 8+ yrs of dwindling support?

Not only would you need to crack the CPU support but then the graphics. Who knows if there would even be VESA drivers for VGA that would be compatible. The Mac Pro is our best foot in the door. The 6.1 2013 model still supported in Monterey. 8+ yrs of dwindling support?
My Mac Trash Can is still in use for music production with 64 gigs of memory and TB2 External Raid it works just fine for that use. I do not personally use it but the music studio it is in does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back