Contribute
Register

Are you running an old Sandy Bridge system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am keeping my Sandy Bridge system alive for at least another couple of years. Mojave is not much of an enhancement (desktop stacks? Whatever...) so why buy a new system? I’m running High Sierra on the same hardware I bought in Feb 2012, except for the SSD’s, a recycled Apple Bluetooth module, and a TP Link WiFi card. My iCloud services (I needed iCloud Drive) and Messages (finally, Messages in the Cloud!) all work as they should. I also use genuine Mac’s and iPhones, so I rely on Apple’s services. I am considering a new GPU since my Radeon 6870 will not wake from sleep. The Sandy Bridge series was great. I have two Sandy Bridge Mac’s that still run perfectly. High Sierra is the end of the road for all of this old hardware but these computers still work great. Hopefully Apple will support High Sierra for a few more years, but even if they don’t, this computer will live a long time.

Well, I have the i7-2700k with Gigabyte Z77-DS3H MB + GTX 970 and up until the latest High Sierra everything is running perfectly (as iMac late 2013) @4GHz.

From what I understand Mojave is a no-go on Sandy Bridge? If someone has a relatively easy fix for that please let me know!

IMHO I think a Sandy Bridge system would run fine as long as you have a system definition that is recent enough and a graphics card that supports METAL (consider getting an AMD card to avoid updating NVIDIA’s drivers at every update). I saw a video on line of a guy running Mojave with an unsupported video (i.e., non-METAL) card and it was not pretty. Keep in mind that your file system will be updated to APFS, so if you have any RAID arrays or Fusion Drives proceed with caution (MOJAVE officially supports APFS on Fusion Drives but I would be careful nonetheless). Personally, I’m not interested in investing more money in my old system so that’s not a path for me. My next project is a DIY NAS, and I might just repurpose my old Hackintosh hardware for that. Good Luck to you guys!!

I have a core i3 2120 (sandy bridge) and a MSI rx480. My system working on 10.14, seemingly everything is functional for now. Originally I switched to the 14,2 system definition to upgrade, however this gave me (the widely reported) issues with quicklook and preview. I since switched to the mac pro 6,1 definition and everything seems to be working now, including Messages.

I'm curious...how many users on the forum are still running on Sandy Bridge? I built my Hack in March 2012, and it has been running strong every since. I have a Gigabyte Z68 series board, quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 6870 graphics card, and some other odds and ends. Except for switching to SSD's, installing a native Apple bluetooth module, and adding in a wireless card, the core hardware is the same.

My issues have been minor...no USB 3 support, sleep/wake, etc. But generally, this rig is a workhorse and I'm surprised that it is reliably running the latest Yosemite release after 4 years of daily use.

So, what's your experience with the old Sandy Bridge systems?

I have been on Sandy Bridge from the beginning starting with 10.6.8. See specs in profile. I use an USB stick for sound and USB 3.0 card. Otherwise all is working perfectly including sleep/wake. I am now on 10.13.6 and contemplating switching to an AMD RX 560 card so I can upgrade to Mojave.

Last edited:
I grabbed an rx 560 off amazon warehouse and mojave works great. I had it working through integrated graphics, but it was horribly glitchy. Kind of wish I had picked up a card awhile ago, it just runs much nicer with it. I had to fiddle around with disk sleep and stuff but it wasn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back