Contribute
Register

Are you running an old Sandy Bridge system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in regards to my first post the running like a champ since the post I've to reinstall the software over two dozen times just to attempt to get hand off working. after extended research my system definitions reads as follow mac pro 3,1. according to apple.com handoff supports mac pros 6,1 and above. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

that being said I know some of my hardware is "dated" but the new hardware can handle it thus the conclusion is that handoff feature on a hackintosh is software glitch related issue. the hardware can h
that being said I've tried using the system definition in the clover configurator software with no success any attempt that I have using the configurator results in my machine not able to fully boot in mac osx el capitan 10.10.4

the whole point of this build was to have a "system" of consistent continuity between all of my apple device. I messaging and face time worked out of the box with no issues, but handoff is another issue that's beyond my current skill set.

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

hi mate i'd be asking this question in another thread if i was you. as far as i know for our old systems the only easy way to get handoff working is to get "that" broadcom pcie card BCM94360CD which from all reports if the setup is stable just works out of the box. see this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...om-bcm94360cd-airdrop-continuity-handoff.html where the guy has a sandy bridge setup and full handoff functionality.

Im running a GA-H61N-USB3, Core i5 2500k, ATI Radeon 6870 with 10.11.4 everything works fine except USB 3 so I've disabled it in the DSDT Sleep and Wake works :thumbup:

GA-z68x-ud4-b3 with a very dated F8 BIOS, XFX 6870 video card.

Just tried installing El Capitan on this 2 days ago using a new hard drive... Now successfully running El Capitan.... right now, testing all my old apps/programs/etc/... (Still have my trusty 10.8.4 drive that I use regularly... this is a work computer, running 24/7 since 2011). I know if I move to El Capitan, I'll have to update my old Parallels version. I'm using it to run Win2K, Win7 Windows computers... again, for work stuff/testing purposes.)

Only issue with 10.11.5 is the disabled USB3, and the fact I cannot wake up the display after sleep. Minor issues in my book.

I'm running a Sandy Bridge hackintosh, much the same build as yours (see my sig). It works great for me - not a lick of trouble. Several months ago I decided to take the plunge and move from BIOS to UEFI, so that I could install Clover, so that I could install El Capitan. It was a scary move but it all went smoothly and I've had no problems since, other than the same problems as you've got: no USB3, no sleep/wake. I haven't put the effort into figuring out how to fix those, and it's really not worth me building a new computer. This one's plenty powerful for anything I throw at it. (Gets about 11000 Geekbench 32-bit score.)

I do have a dilemma, though, and that's why I came to this site today; I'll post it in a new thread. In brief: I'm tired of constantly having to be careful that upgrades don't leave me unable to boot, and I'm tired of being too afraid of compatibility issues if I upgrade my Radeon HD 6850 to a GeForce 970. So I'm considering weaning myself off the Heckintosh side, and making this a plain jane Windows 10 PC, and using my MacBook Pro for all my Mac needs.

(Edit: Where'd my sig go, with my specs? Darn. I'll have to look for a copy to put it back in my profile here.)

[Please pardon my over-use of parentheses.]

Mine is similar to the one in the first post — GA-Z68XP-UD4… RAID5… I think it is a 2600 (non-K) offhand. As others have noted, Moore’s law is well and truly dead for CPUs; my i7 is about as fast is a new one (as opposed to being — what is it? — 1/16th of the speed?). I think my USB 3.0 is fine. (I do not recall any special relevant moves I might have made, but it *was* a while ago. Conversely, you might mean under El Capitan, particularly.) I never upgrade the OS; I am afraid to. I am on Yosemite (10.10.3).

I am glad to hear that mine is not the only one that will not sleep! (It is not the BluRay drive is it? — I read that somewhere.)

<TL;DR>
I use my machine for philosophy. I have had a 560Ti running two FHD screens (actually one 1920x1200 — a 6+ -year-old AOC, still going strong); I need heaps of screen real estate so I can see my whole argument at one go. [My brain works by place; if I scroll part of an argument, it ruins the continuity of my thinking.] Recently, I began getting towards the end stretch [80/20 rule — nowhere near actually finished!], and I bought a UHD screen so that I could see more argumentation at once. (I bought a Bratek stand for the two FHD screens; expensive but seems (very?) good quality.)​

The point is that I bought a GTX970 (Gigabyte GV-N970WF3OC-4GD (F41), in case it matters.). Use WebDriver-346.01.02f04.pkg. (The 02f01 one does not work.) *From *memory** — it works fine. … I had a problem with sleep; if ever I slept the machine… when I tried to wake it up, it was no good. (I can’t remember the exact details of what would happen; nothing, I think.) However… it would corrupt the BIOS so badly — even with a password set — that I had to reset the CMOS settings, and reconfigure all the BIOS settings. (!!?!) From what I read online [not endorsing this conclusion], I concluded that it must be because it is PCI 3.0, so I bought a Gigabyte GT730. (This is about the only card in the universe that is PCI 2.0 and has UHD support.) I have to do without specific drivers (on the Mac side); it goes blank for a second whenever anything interesting happens. It is fine for word processing, but quite un-workable for games. (It is a GV-N730D5-2GI, and I am using NVidia driver for Mac 343.01.01f03.)

I have got my argument up on screen now, with 30 or 40 or 50 windows open (I have gone on several tangents!) and I try to never restart the machine; it takes a good half hour to hour to re-position all the windows, scrolled to the right place! I never put it to sleep, of course. It has been up for several months now. I could put the GTX970 back in, and I am pretty sure it would be fine (unless I put the machine to sleep!).​
</TL;DR>

The point of all that is that I do *not* think it was the GTX970 card’s fault; it was the fault of trying to sleep the machine. The card works perfectly fine. [Actually, I did get occasional artefacts on the screen; I concluded (rightly or wrongly) that this was because the network card antenna is right next to the HDMI cable; I noticed that it seemed to happen when (e.g.) I opened my browser. (I bought a “proper” HDMI cable; no difference.)]

p.s. Endless Legend looks brilliant in UHD; if I try to play it in FHD, it looks like a fuzzy, poor replica.

p.p.s. On re-reading your post… you are now on El Capitan, and I read that NVidia drivers are specific to the OS version; nonetheless, I would expect that the (right) NVidia driver would be fine, just the same [for what that’s worth].

p.p.p.s. It is possible, and possibly relevant, that I might not have the hardware-reading software installed (that goes with HWMonitor); that could conceivably be related to the BIOS getting corrupted with sleep — if other people do not have that problem.

Tags: “UHD on PCI 2.0”, “PCI 2.0 UHD”, “PCI2 UHD”, “UHD PCI2”, “4K on PCI 2.0”, “PCI 2.0 4K”, “PCI2 4K”, “4K PCI2”.

I know this thread is a little old, but... Sandy Bridge here! i5 2400.

Not a sandy bridge , Bloomfield here. I built my rig in 2012, to many mods and upgrades to list. current specs in my profile. Never any issues that a good forum search or google could not work out. System is still a beast.

Last edited:
I was using an Lynnfield i5-760 from 2010 with an ATI 5870 up until about six months ago. Everything was working, I just thought that after six years it was time for an upgrade. Especially with the graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back