Graphics
AMD 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was curious if anyone had tried out apple's own amd radeon hd 5770 for the mac pro that you can buy on amazon. Not sure if linking is okay in this forum but if you search amd radeon hd 5770 it should pop up in your searches on amazon. Right now I have an pny geforce 8400 gs which is a piece, so I am looking for something that will be a little bit more compatible with my system. It runs on pci express 2.0 so it should fit in my motherboard but I dont want to spend 250 dollars to find out that it won't work, and I don't know the logistics of this whole thing.

mkteagle said:
I was curious if anyone had tried out apple's own amd radeon hd 5770 for the mac pro that you can buy on amazon. Not sure if linking is okay in this forum but if you search amd radeon hd 5770 it should pop up in your searches on amazon. Right now I have an pny geforce 8400 gs which is a piece, so I am looking for something that will be a little bit more compatible with my system. It runs on pci express 2.0 so it should fit in my motherboard but I dont want to spend 250 dollars to find out that it won't work, and I don't know the logistics of this whole thing.

That card will not work with a hackintosh. It's designed to work with the Apple Mac Pros.

Get this one 5770 instead, and it's much less too.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-5770-Graphics-HD577AZNFC/dp/B002SP113K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296664520&sr=8-1

Are you sure Doc?

What about this post url viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6586
/url

I just bought a 27" Cinema Display when I was over in the USA. I have the Radeon 5770 with display port connectors. Bought the StarTech.com 6in Display Port to Miini Display Port Video cable. Hooked it all up today and guess what? It doesn't work! The ACD just doesn't turn on.

So I was planning to buy the ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit from Apple at £203.

Doc. Do you have the 27" ACD and have you have tested this with the Radeon 5770 XFX you recommended? If not I am inclined to go with poster gambcl even though it is a more expensive solution as he has tested it and it works.

No offence but I think on this board if one is making recommendations they should only be based on actual experience / setup.

jaspercat5 said:
Are you sure Doc?

What about this post url viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6586
/url

I just bought a 27" Cinema Display when I was over in the USA. I have the Radeon 5770 with display port connectors. Bought the StarTech.com 6in Display Port to Miini Display Port Video cable. Hooked it all up today and guess what? It doesn't work! The ACD just doesn't turn on.

So I was planning to buy the ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit from Apple at £203.

Doc. Do you have the 27" ACD and have you have tested this with the Radeon 5770 XFX you recommended? If not I am inclined to go with poster gambcl even though it is a more expensive solution as he has tested it and it works.

No offence but I think on this board if one is making recommendations they should only be based on actual experience / setup.

I don't have a ACD nor do I have access to one to test. Do you have Windows install on you rig to test the monitor with?

No Windows - only Mac OSX 10.6.6. I am off to Apple Store this morning to get the Apple ATI graphics card. So when I get it working I will let you know.

Not sure how I'll get it to work yet as there is no ATY_Init.Kext to edit as gambci suggested. While another poster said he installed the software it came with and it worked out of the box? I am confident I'll get it to work - I have to after spending a fortune on the ACD.

I am sad to say that I cannot get it to work.
Hooked everything up installing the Apple OEM 5770 card. Connected Apple Cinema Screen. Installed OSX. So far so good. Resolution only 1024 x 768 as expected.
Next step - I read this thread from start to finish: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5884
Installed 10.6.6 did not reboot - ran Multibeast 3.2.0. First problem ATY_Init.kext option is gone as well as others which were available when the other nice members were able to get their ACS to work in the above thread.
So ticked graphics enable = no, modified the ATY_Init kext to replace Vervet wit Hoolock. Modified the apple.boot .plist as follows:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1440x32</string>

Rebooted. Hangs on the grey screen apple logo every time. No spinning wheel. No means of safe booting with -x -v -f or any others for that matter.
Next approach fresh install after replacing the oem Apple 5770 with the original Radeon 5770 card hooked up to a standard monitor - get everything working and then drop in the modified ATY_Init.kext in through Kext installer and modify graphics = no using Multieast (repair caches etc) and add the above code. That was my cunning plan but..........
Shut down, replaced original Radeon with OEM Apple 5770 - connect all up and reboot . Hangs on the grey screen with Apple logo. Grrrrr
Variations on the above theme - with a boot file from Kabyl which took me ages to install to the root drive because there was an invisible boot file there already.
Not often I fail but cannot think of anything else to do. There boards are filled with tons of good advice but it is so jumbled and contradictory it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.
So tomorrow the card goes back to Apple - and I'm going to order an Atlona AT-DP400 which is about the same price but is proven to work out of the box. Not the solution I wanted but what can one do when I've splashed out on a fabulous Apple monitor.

jaspercat5 said:
I am sad to say that I cannot get it to work.
Hooked everything up installing the Apple OEM 5770 card. Connected Apple Cinema Screen. Installed OSX. So far so good. Resolution only 1024 x 768 as expected.
Next step - I read this thread from start to finish: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5884
Installed 10.6.6 did not reboot - ran Multibeast 3.2.0. First problem ATY_Init.kext option is gone as well as others which were available when the other nice members were able to get their ACS to work in the above thread.
So ticked graphics enable = no, modified the ATY_Init kext to replace Vervet wit Hoolock. Modified the apple.boot .plist as follows:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1440x32</string>

Rebooted. Hangs on the grey screen apple logo every time. No spinning wheel. No means of safe booting with -x -v -f or any others for that matter.
Next approach fresh install after replacing the oem Apple 5770 with the original Radeon 5770 card hooked up to a standard monitor - get everything working and then drop in the modified ATY_Init.kext in through Kext installer and modify graphics = no using Multieast (repair caches etc) and add the above code. That was my cunning plan but..........
Shut down, replaced original Radeon with OEM Apple 5770 - connect all up and reboot . Hangs on the grey screen with Apple logo. Grrrrr
Variations on the above theme - with a boot file from Kabyl which took me ages to install to the root drive because there was an invisible boot file there already.
Not often I fail but cannot think of anything else to do. There boards are filled with tons of good advice but it is so jumbled and contradictory it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.
So tomorrow the card goes back to Apple - and I'm going to order an Atlona AT-DP400 which is about the same price but is proven to work out of the box. Not the solution I wanted but what can one do when I've splashed out on a fabulous Apple monitor.

Hold on !!!!!! Your graphics install method is all getting very confused !!!

Delete ATI_Init from S/L/E and repair permissions. Then re-run MultiBeast and select ATI-Experimental bootloader with 32 bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Then go into your boot.plist and add Hoolock string but with AtiConfig not AtiFb.

You are reading a mixture of old guides !!!!

Thanks Notshy - I appreciate your help and I have filed your response for future use. Apple refunded my OEM Card and I spent around the same amount of money on an Atlona AT-400 which arrived yesterday.
Plugged it in and it worked right out of the box.

Attached are the screenshots. I get full resolution 2560 x 1440.

Of course not sure of what the benefits of the OEM Apple 5770 are - no doubt there will be some.

I can always try the Apple OEM 5770 option again when I get over the frustration!!

Thanks again for helping.DSC_7624jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7624jpeg.jpg
    DSC_7624jpeg.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 652
I am glad you got yours working. I have the 5770 graphic card and run it at 2650x1440. If I boot to this resolution, I get a good screen off and on mixed with a black screen. If I put the computer to sleep or I change resolution settings, the screen becomes stable.

I understood this is a known issue. Did you see this. Is there a fix now?

The Atlona and the ACD have worked consistently since I hooked everything up 3 days ago. No black screen issues so perhaps they have sorted something out in the firmware. Just boot the PC and a minute later I'm looking at a Snow Leopard! :thumbup:

I was even experimenting on overclocking settings yesterday.

Shut down and sleep works, so I am really happy with the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back