Contribute
Register

Apple Unveils Redesigned Mac Pro Desktop and Pro Display XDR at WWDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you are correct
the raid0 controller that you are talking about is in apple hardware, AKA the T2 Chip
but that doesn't have nothing to do with the nvme drives

any m.2 that you get in the market can also be use for raid0 as long as the hardware has support for it
there is also software raid like softraid on Mac OS

the problem is that apple changes the nvme pin connectors
so when you buy a non apple nvme drive the only way to get that drive to work is by buying an adapter
also the only way a non apple nvme drive is going to work on Mac OS without any modification is by using high Sierra or higher

if the person is using an older version of Mac OS then that person need to run a patch
in order for Mac OS to let you use that drive

I have 2 ssd7102 with 4 samsung 970 pro in each card
for a total of two 16x cards and 8 m.2 drives
much faster than anything that apple has to offer right now

What is your point in general?

If you want to air your grievances, I don’t think Apple cares. They never did.

my point is that you want to justify apple expensive price by using the T2 as an excuse
the drive doesn't have nothing to do with the T2 chip
anyone can buy, change, use another drive and save a lot of money

why you think apple always changes the connectors?
so the costumer is force to buy from them at their expensive price

but thanks to 3rd party companies that come up with adapters so we can use regular nvme drives
by the way those are the same companies that apple is targeting to shut down their business

if you buy a computer from apple you can't open it
if you open it, maybe the parts are solder to the board
you want to update or change a part, you can't
you can only do it when you are first ordering the computer
so apple want you to spent everything at once, you can't update later

now they change it with that new Mac Pro

my point is that mascotte was right, look at that new Mac Pro a 256 gb ssd
that is a joke, last time I checked updating to a 1 tb NVME apple drive was like 1000 dollars
that is another joke just like the stand
stand up comedy
a 8k dell monitor cost less than 4,000 with the stand included

why you think we build hackintosh, because we can build a better machine for less money
or probably the same amount of money but still a better computer
I honestly don't do it for saving, I like to be able to customized my system
water-cooling etc, you can't do that with a mac

if something is damage and you want to replace the part because you have to buy it form apple
or take it to an apple store
it doesn't matter if you know how to build and fix computers, but you are obligated to get the parts from apple or take it to them because they make everything different so only they can sell you or change the parts

I don't care if apple cares or not, I only care about what I care , lol
I'm not an apple hater I just don't like this new apple under mr Tim cook

by the way I'm a Nvidia fan, I guess you get my point

we can disagree, I don't have any problem, I don't take things personal simply because another person see things different

if you agree with apple methods and prices I don't have any problem
I just don't agree with the way that apple do things, the problem is with apple not with you
I don't have nothing personal against you

cheers

Last edited:
my point is that you want to justify apple expensive price by using the T2 as an excuse
the drive doesn't have nothing to do with the T2 chip
anyone can buy, change, use another drive and save a lot of money

why you think apple always changes the connectors?
so the costumer is force to buy from them at their expensive price

you buy the computer from them but you can't open it
if you opened maybe the parts are solder to the board

my point is that mascotte was right, look at that new Mac Pro a 256 gb ssd
that is a joke, last time I checked updating to a 1 tb NVME apple drive was like 1000 dollars
that is another joke just like the stand
a 8k dell monitor cost less than 4,000 with the stand included

why you think we build hackintosh, because we can build a batter machine for less money
or probably the same amount of money but still a better machine or computer
I honestly don't do it for saving, I like to be able to customized my system
water-cooling etc, you can't do that with a mac

if something is damage and you want to replace the part then you have to buy it form apple
or takeout to an apple store
it doesn't matter if you know how to build and fix computers, but you are obligated to get the parts from apple or take it to them because they make everything different so only they can sell you or change the parts

I don't care if apple cares or not, I only care about what I care , lol
I'm not an apple hater I just don't like this new apple under mr Tim cook

by the way I'm a Nvidia fan, I guess you get my point

we can disagree, I don't have any problem, I don't take things personal simply because another person see things different

if you agree with apple methods and prices I don't have any problem
I just don't agree with the way that apple do things, the problem is with apple not with you
I don't have nothing personal against you

my iPad is just a screen for my drone remote controller

Who is justifying Apple's prices?

Having been with Apple for 15 years or so, I can tell you that they do not care what people think about their prices.

This whole thing reeks of the Mac vs PC debacle over and over again.

I like NVIDIA's performance too, but their business practices are horrible, and if you think Apple's is bad, NVIDIA is worse. $1,200 2080Ti? C'mon.

Apple clearly has a grudge with NVIDIA, and as a private company they can do whatever they want. They want the NVIDIA dominance to die down, but they have a very small footprint in the computing industry to make any impact. So they choose to give their money to AMD hoping they rise to the occasion and beat out NVIDIA somehow. CUDA really needs to go, we need something that's universal. NVIDIA constantly has crippled their OpenCL performance over the years.

Don't like the new Mac Pro? Build a PC with HEDT or consumer CPUs and put in 4x 1TB NVMEs at RAID0. Matter of fact, AMD just announced a 16 core 7nm CPU for $749 that rivals the 16core Skylake-X. Build that and use Windows.

Enjoy.

Who is justifying Apple's prices?

Having been with Apple for 15 years or so, I can tell you that they do not care what people think about their prices.

This whole thing reeks of the Mac vs PC debacle over and over again.

I like NVIDIA's performance too, but their business practices are horrible, and if you think Apple's is bad, NVIDIA is worse. $1,200 2080Ti? C'mon.

Apple clearly has a grudge with NVIDIA, and as a private company they can do whatever they want. They want the NVIDIA dominance to die down, but they have a very small footprint in the computing industry to make any impact. So they choose to give their money to AMD hoping they rise to the occasion and beat out NVIDIA somehow. CUDA really needs to go, we need something that's universal. NVIDIA constantly has crippled their OpenCL performance over the years.

Don't like the new Mac Pro? Build a PC with HEDT or consumer CPUs and put in 4x 1TB NVMEs at RAID0. Matter of fact, AMD just announced a 16 core 7nm CPU for $749 that rivals the 16core Skylake-X. Build that and use Windows.

Enjoy.
nvidia practices are horrible but apple practices are fine, right
I rather pay 1,200 for a 2080 ti than pay 1000 for a stand
nvidia cripple opengl

before apple changed to metal before apple decided to abandon opencl
Mac OS was running older versions of OpenGL and OpenCL and Mac for the longest
while windows was a few versions ahead of Mac OS or running the latest version
apple were running outdated versions of OpenGL and opencl
that's why apple had so many problems with graphic performance during those years
that's why they moved to metal because they wanted to improved that
just like windows dx12 or Vulcan

why are you telling me to run windows?, why are you so upset?
if you don't like other persons opinions then don't give your opinion
I have as much right as you

you can build or run whatever you want, I'm not telling you to buy intel or AMD
if you like the new Mac Pro, no problem, no objection
but I don't have to like it, if I don't like it

horrible design, base model way too over price for the specs
that's my opinion, some will agree some will disagree
this a forum
sorry to keep bringing this up but since I'm already here
1000 dollar stand lol

Tim is a wolf he can catch sheeps but he will never catch a lion

nvidia practices are horrible but apple practices are fine, right
I rather pay 1,200 for a 2080 ti than pay 1000 for a stand
nvidia cripple opengl

before apple changed to metal before apple decided to abandon opencl
Mac OS was running older versions of OpenGL and OpenCL and Mac for the longest
while windows was a few versions ahead of Mac OS or running the latest version
apple were running outdated versions of OpenGL and opencl
that's why apple had so many problems with graphic performance during those years
that's why they moved to metal because they wanted to improved that
just like windows dx12 or Vulcan

why are you telling me to run windows?, why are you so upset?
if you don't like other persons opinions then don't give your opinion
I have as much right as you

you can build or run whatever you want, I'm not telling you to buy intel or AMD
if you like the new Mac Pro, no problem, no objection
but I don't have to like it, if I don't like it

horrible design, base model way too over price for the specs
that's my opinion, some will agree some will disagree
this a forum
sorry to keep bringing this up but since I'm already here
1000 dollar stand lol

Tim is a wolf he can catch sheeps but he will never catch a lion

The difference is if you compare what Apple is charging with even the base Mac Pro to what HP or equivalent is charging with the same specs, then you will see they are not too far off and they are priced fairly.

This has always been the case even when the original Mac Pro was introduced in 2006. I've been reading comments like yours for over 10 years now, and you guys haven't changed the way you think. At all.

You DON'T have to buy Apple products, there are alternatives. You HAVE to buy NVIDIA GPUs because they are the fastest on the planet. Make sense?

You're the one that seems upset here, get off whatever horse you're sitting on because you clearly don't understand what a target audience is or who Apple is targeting for this current generation of the Mac Pro.

The design isn't horrible, are you a designer? I am, and I can tell you it's good from an objective standpoint. Everything Apple has ever made is jarring at first, but once you get to know it more intimately turns out to be good to decent.

You keep bringing up the optional stand. Who cares about it?

You clearly aren't the target audience for this Mac so why are you even so angry about something you could have never been able to afford in the first place anyway?

Have you ever actually owned a specced out Mac Pro when it was out in the 2006-2012 period? I did, and it was a fine machine and lasted for years.

Tim may not be a visionary, but he is a master at operations and logistics. He was the brains behind Steve Jobs when he took over the company in the 90's.

This release of the Mac Pro is very Apple like, and you can tell it hit all the right notes including the anger at the $999 stand. I've been watching their keynotes and have been to one or two myself since the early 2000s and I can tell you they haven't lost their touch of being a "premium brand."

Utterly ridiculous, elitist price tag - 'normal' people will never be able to afford this even if they wanted to.

Utterly ridiculous, elitist price tag - 'normal' people will never be able to afford this even if they wanted to.

Were you ever able to afford a $8,000+ specced out Mac Pro in 2009 or 2010?

People have been laughing at Apple and their pricing since the 90s. Well they're still here, right? Worth 1 trillion USD?

I am going to leave this thread before it turns nuclear :crazy:

Were you ever able to afford a $8,000+ specced out Mac Pro in 2009 or 2010?

In 2009 that price got you a top of the line Mac Pro with all the bells and whistles, nowadays it gets you the base model with maybe normal size internal drive and some extra RAM. See the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back