Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
mountain_lion.pngIt would look like the Hackintosh community is helping to drive Apple’s sales, of software at least, as OS X 10.8/Mountain Lion has had over three million downloads in a mere four days. Digital distribution does appear to have its advantage, at least when it comes to pushing out new software quickly to your install base and as Mountain Lion is a pretty big upgrade compared to Lion, it’s no wonder people are so keen on getting their hands on the new OS.

Apple calls Mountain Lion its most successful OS X release to date, although that’s hardly surprising considering it’s available online only, which means that its users were able to get their hands on it from the second it launched. The big question that remains unanswered though is, was the upgrade worth it? Time will most likely be the judge of that one, but so far it appears to be mostly a step up over Lion, notwithstanding a few niggles and the fact that Apple dropped support for a lot of older hardware. You can find the full press release below.

CUPERTINO, California—July 30, 2012—Apple® today announced that downloads of OS X® Mountain Lion have exceeded three million in four days, making it the most successful OS X release in Apple’s history. With more than 200 innovative new features, Mountain Lion is the ninth major release of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system and is available through the Mac® App Store™ as an upgrade to Lion or Snow Leopard users for $19.99 (US).

“Just a year after the incredibly successful introduction of Lion, customers have downloaded Mountain Lion over three million times in just four days, making it our most successful release ever,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.

Mountain Lion features include the all new Messages app, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, Facebook integration*, Dictation, AirPlay® Mirroring and Game Center. iCloud® integration makes it easy to set up your Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, Reminders and Notes, and keep everything, including iWork® documents, up to date across all your devices. For more information or to download Mountain Lion visit apple.com/osx/specs.

In addition to Mountain Lion, the Mac App Store offers thousands of apps in Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity, Utilities and other categories, and is the largest, fastest growing PC software store in the world. Users can browse new and noteworthy apps, including apps that take advantage of new features in Mountain Lion, as well as check out staff favorites, top charts for free and paid apps, and user ratings and reviews. For more information visit apple.com/mac/app-store.

*Facebook integration will be available in an upcoming software update to Mountain Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple sells over 3 million copies of Mountain Lion in four days... thanks to the Hackintosh community ;)

I dont see a big difference between Lion and Mountain Lion. :)

Have been using it for 2 days. Have not found a single new feature I would actually use. It is a disappointment is that the fullscreen feature in a dual monitor setup is still unusable. Nice to get HD 4000 working and be able to use a vanilla kernel though.

Has anyone tried updating from lion rather than doing a fresh instal and if so how have the results turned out for you

I can't see how this is a major OS rollout. ML seems more like an update to Lion. A few new apps and features (more icloud integration etc...) Don't get me wrong, I am liking the new stuff but not much of a difference from Lion. Can you imagine if Microsoft released the new Windows 8 and it looked just like Windows 7 with a few new applications and features? Well, i guess you can't beat the $20 price tag for the new OS. And it looks like you are getting about $20 worth of new apps and features too...

I just don't see making major revisions to the os on a yearly update schedule. Either the OS upgrades will run on the tick-tock cycle like the iPhones, or we will simply be given these smaller incremental feature changes each year as Apple adheres to a longer term roadmap for OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back