Contribute
Register

Apple sells over 3 million copies of Mountain Lion in four days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I skipped Lion as a main OS, as I didn't consider it better than SL in any real way, Lion was just full of annoyances. I think the tweaks make in Mt Lion are just enough that I'll be upgrading the main partition on my MacBook Pro this week, and consider upgrading my Hackintosh Tower in the next month or so. We'll see.

+1

Never felt more like a statistic in my life ;-)

Seriously though. It's a $20 upgrade. For the improved video card compatibility alone, it's probably worth the cash.
Throw in the very capable and decent Messages, Reminders, Notes, Notifications and Twitter integration and it's a not brainer.

A far more polished Finder (I love the subtle progress bar feature) and slightly (more logical) re-arranged System Preferences panel shows Apple's skill when honing this finely tuned product. Still not convinced? Go back a few releases and you suddenly become VERY aware how many of the tiny details and features are quite simply missing and how far this OS has come in recent years. Eg. Check out Preview... Apple have snuck in a bunch of seriously funky new selecting, editing and manipulation tools...

Graphics on my 17" Apple MacBook Pro are much better. I was constantly getting horrible graphical glitches while dragging files between windows in the Finder on Lion that none of the updates or fresh installs solved. I haven't seen one since upgrading to Mountain Lion :)

As for my Hackintosh? Never been better! Aside from a small (and fixable) issue logging to iCloud and the App Store, this has been one of the easiest OS installs / upgrades for me.

Lovin' it...

I can't see how this is a major OS rollout. ML seems more like an update to Lion. A few new apps and features (more icloud integration etc...) Don't get me wrong, I am liking the new stuff but not much of a difference from Lion. Can you imagine if Microsoft released the new Windows 8 and it looked just like Windows 7 with a few new applications and features? Well, i guess you can't beat the $20 price tag for the new OS. And it looks like you are getting about $20 worth of new apps and features too...

Reminds me of OS8—might as well called it OS7.7!

I do agree, Mountain Lion should be a 10.7.5 update, It's weird that Lion lives on four updates, the 10.7.4. ML It's only a Lion with iOS apps and new hardware support as they did with 10.6.8 that they add Sandy Bridge support. Maybe they need money, and that's why they create with marketing a new OS and not just an update.... just a thought

Not sure if many here remember the Classic OS days but each update then were updates similar to each of the OS X updates and one can see a similar evolution. The path with Classic could only be taken so far and the leap to OS X was a giant leap in evolution. As much as the OS has changed since the original Mac just as much has stayed the same in the emphasis on the user experience and ease of use and effortless use of peripherals. Even with Windows 8 MS is still clinging to the hierachal file structure and a C drive........ The new interface more or less is something that resides on top of the structure that has been there since Windows 1.0 whereas it was a great evolutional leap from Classic to OS X.

Awesome news! That's more copies than CoD or WoW expansions sold in the same time, impressive. I for one am loving ML and it's new features, and thus far have not run into any issues with software or kexts*, everything just works. And fast too!

For those who claim they see no difference between 10.7.X and 10.8, you just don't know where to look. Like every incremental OS version update, going back to 10.1, the changes are subtle. Everything "looks" the same; To be honest, everything has basically looked the same since Tiger. Apple claims over X-hundred new features with every new release. We all know they are there, otherwise we wouldn't bother updating from 10.5.8, and ML is no different.

* Had to do the 6800 install/post fix. As a result, during post when it would hang after macx_swapon (before the fix), now it hangs for 25 seconds (no disk activity) before the desktop appears. For a SSD, that's poo! 10.7.4 loads in literally 2 seconds... Apple dropped the ball on this one, and I suspect the new iMacs and Mac Pros are going to include nVidia 600 series, as the new cards run OOB. ....

Has anyone tried updating from lion rather than doing a fresh instal and if so how have the results turned out for you

i updated. Worked fine for me. No issues so far

Got to agree with some above statements though. Not a single feature I will use in this update. I thought powernap would be a sweet feature, but of course it's only for macbooks :\

i agree with applemacidiot.. the changes which appear small are big for some people.. my graphics were never better before.. The diff is amazing.. besides, iOS sync is imp, windows 8 has made the gap b/w touch screen devices and full fledged PCs smaller. Surface is quite an example.. Apple needs to do something in that regard.

Besides, i feel that sleep is faster, faster booting and shut down. i have not tried dictation feature yet. But if speed and efficiency of an OS are increased with more compatibility to newer hardwares, it can be called new OS.

Its debatable but the name Mountain Lion has Lion in it, so its just a Lion standing on a higher horizon, a Mountain.. ;)

Bottom line is, i am really loving it, could update from my Lion to ML. My Hachintosh feels more responsive and better now.

The frustrating part is the OS X server is now the same price as the full OS, but requires a new purchase from Lion for near identical functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back