Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS High Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not going to reply to this, but the fact is The Mac Pro sales have been terrible since it was introduced. Revamping it will not fix its design problems, and Apple knows it sales were bad and have been bad. Unfortunately many buyers have spent a large amount of money on these and will be very angry if the design is dropped. This is the way of the business world, look at Adobe's crap Cloud based applications which have essentially replaced their hard software Creative Suite which was very expensive in itself when CS6 was introduce Adobe's last hard software and now only Elements is left. They no longer support this hard software. These customers are now out in cold. Look at this article about the decline in MacPro sales. It may not be immediate but it will happen.. https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/23/mac-...year-as-lenovo-dell-and-others-gained-ground/

I was not going to reply to this, but the fact is The Mac Pro sales have been terrible since it was introduced. Revamping it will not fix its design problems, and Apple knows it sales were bad and have been bad. Unfortunately many buyers have spent a large amount of money on these and will be very angry if the design is dropped. This is the way of the business world, look at Adobe's crap Cloud based applications which have essentially replaced their hard software Creative Suite which was very expensive in itself when CS6 was introduce Adobe's last hard software and now only Elements is left. They no longer support this hard software. These customers are now out in cold. Look at this article about the decline in MacPro sales. It may not be immediate but it will happen.. https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/23/mac-...year-as-lenovo-dell-and-others-gained-ground/

I think most of us would agree regarding Mac Pro sales, maybe the reason they have committed to going modualr.

I would expect some features in there that help lock it to Apple supplied hardware only.

If so, good on them. I can't imagine they'll implement those features simply to lock us out, but rather to give themselves advantage by creating superior products to their competitors, hackintosh community be damned unfortunately for us.

If so, good on them. I can't imagine they'll implement those features simply to lock us out, but rather to give themselves advantage by creating superior products to their competitors, hackintosh community be damned unfortunately for us.
macOS has to work with supported hardware, Apple branded or otherwise. To make things otherwise would make no sense.

But only in High Sierra if I understand it right, right??? :) So if I make a rig with KabyLake CPU today I wiil not be able to install on that ElCaptain or Sierra JUST High Sierra???

As I explained earlier - the new iMacs will ship with regular Sierra, so whatever version of Sierra gets released with them, will have support for Kaby Lake built-in.

Would be nice. These will be LGA 2066 R4.

I'm not trying to be contrarian just to be annoying, because I am genuinely confused on the CPU branding this time.

"HEDT" had corresponding socket compatibility with Xeon's for a few generations" X58, X79, X99.

But. This time, "X299 era", according to documentation on Tom's, Anand et al, the Xeon range is exclusively on socket "LGA 3647". Which is a HUGE socket.

Can't see how there wouldnt be LGA 2066 in the IMP.

So, have Intel given Apple a free pass, and allowed them to brand say, a 7900x as a Xeon equivalent (ie E5 2640 V4).

Am I missing something really obvious?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_3647
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2066

Last edited:
Seems like a good split of the market to offer this lovely machine to one aspect as well as a more modular offering to serve even more of the Pro market.

We're all speculating, of course...

Given the lead times of these things, the iMac "Pro" would have been in the works for at least 18 months. A doubling down on the Apple way :banghead: of serving pro-sumer customers - high end-ish cpu/gpu (mm, debatable :think:), non upgradable.

It was probably 'sold' to Apple Management as a cost cutting move (relative to that factory for the nMP) to stay in the 'pro' market.

Cost cutting?
The tooling is already there (mostly) for the chassis, and the 5k screen is also a shared component with their mass market iMac. Both outsourced to China.

As its recently turned out, Apple HAVE seen the light on a modular system. Hallelujah. Pacal/Volta, yeah we serve them kind.

The IMP far along, enough, in the manufacturing process for Apple to offer something up to date. So for a while we'll have an iMac Pro and the REAL Mac Pro, with the iMac Pro eventually being a one-off (speculation, who knows the Apple AIO 'pro' market may be stronger than we think?)

Last edited:
So, have Intel given Apple a free pass, and allowed them to brand say, a 7900x as a Xeon equivalent (ie E5 2640 V4).
Intel will be using xeon bronze, silver, gold and platinum across different chipsets and sockets of the same cycle. There is X and EP SP for HED and server markets respectively. They have branded 115x chips as xeons in the past i believe so it's not so much newly confusing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back