Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS High Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, Clover currently has file system drivers for Fat 32, Grub, NTFS, HFS+ & HFS, and nothing else? or am I missing something?
And, based on what I saw and watched on APFS, Cloning has changed dramatically with this FS so new versions will be needed.
Further, there are items which will no longer be supported with the changeover. My comments are only based only on this file system which is currently in use in the IOS and Apple watch which are shipping items.

Just speculating that the new iMac pro will be x299 with i9 2066 pin processors. Since the top end config is 18 core, that is where the i9 tops out. I think Xeons go up to 24. If true, this is a good read on what upgrading your current system may look like:

https://unlocked.newegg.com/article/explainer-intel-x-series-cpus-i9-and-new-extreme-platform

Personally, I will probably go another year on my current rig as I don't have any need for more performance. However, I would upgrade if the new platform was easier to maintain. I want to thank the devs and daredevils in advance for checking out High Sierra once it goes live in the fall.

I don't believe about 18 cores can give all potential on current chips pin count because frequency actually not changed. It's just marketing solution. Past years Intel do not do any good things. There are a lot of chips thats different only in nano meters. To slow graphics with no visible changes in performance and to big price value.

If the new iMac use Kaby Lake CPU-s is that means that sooner or later we will be able to install MacOS on PC with Kaby Lake CPU??? Or this is not that easy...!!!

ah thanks :)

It is dependent on the make/model of the card. If it is broadcom based, there is a high possibility it will be supported. Intel is not supported at this time.

Whether it is board mounted/supplied makes no difference.

It is dependent on the make/model of the card. If it is broadcom based, there is a high possibility it will be supported. Intel is not supported at this time.

Whether it is board mounted/supplied makes no difference.

Yep, true. Broadcom chipset is the way to go.

I have a Fanvi on order from EBay. I am curious how well it will perform...

If the new iMac use Kaby Lake CPU-s is that means that sooner or later we will be able to install MacOS on PC with Kaby Lake CPU??? Or this is not that easy...!!!
Nearly all of the Kaby Lake I5 & I7 CPUs will be used in the 2017 iMac refresh. I5-7400, I5-7500, I5-7600 and even the I7-7700K are available in the new iMacs. So yes, there will be full support in High Sierra.

SO, Clover currently has file system drivers for Fat 32, Grub, NTFS, HFS+ & HFS, and nothing else? or am I missing something?
And, based on what I saw and watched on APFS, Cloning has changed dramatically with this FS so new versions will be needed.
Further, there are items which will no longer be supported with the changeover. My comments are only based only on this file system which is currently in use in the IOS and Apple watch which are shipping items.
There is an apfs.efi driver in 10.12 but it doesn't seem to work with EFI shell or Clover, and it isn't open source. There is a list of free open source UEFI filesystem drivers here.

Maybe when Apple adds APFS support to Apple firmware rather than having boot.efi load it in is probably around the time when it might get bootable directly from Clover.

Edit: Looks like Apple have already added firmware support. Google 'firmware apfs.efi jump start driver'

Last edited:
Nearly all of the Kaby Lake I5 & I7 CPUs will be used in the 2017 iMac refresh. I5-7400, I5-7500, I5-7600 and even the I7-7700K are available in the new iMacs. So yes, there will be full support in High Sierra.

Thanks

But only in High Sierra if I understand it right, right??? :) So if I make a rig with KabyLake CPU today I wiil not be able to install on that ElCaptain or Sierra JUST High Sierra???

Am I right???

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back