Contribute
Register

Apple Releases OS X Lion USB Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm - very interesting how it shows up in Disk Utils.

UK pricing = £55 for the USB key

FYI - Snow Leopard DVD = £26 + Download = £21 + data/time for 3.5GB download

Seems about right ....

My custom USB LION 10.7.1 jajajaj

usblion.jpg

"Plus I heard that if you have the Golden Lion USB you get free rides in the UFO when it's built "

Thank you.....ha ha ha ha ha , I'm getting one for sure now.

tmuser said:
While nobody answer my questions, look like will be easyer to make an hackintosh from the appstore download than from the usb drive...

Or not...

The usb drive is no bootable, but may be that starting the install on the mac, it enable the boot-ability, writing somethin on usb or on the main hd, that boot and launch the installer on the usb...

So Yes and Yes to both your questions. Making a Hackintosh from the appstore download will not necessarily make things easier. The installation heavily relies on xMove which might not work on your system. Even if it does you could end up with a permanent kernel panic. While I am able to install nearly any version of OSX on my Hackintosh Lion has and still is by far the most difficult. I wont be getting a USB install stick since I already blew $30 on the Appstore version that isn't working.

Hi,

Has anyone had any success installing off the Apple USB stick using xMove?

I read somewhere that I could still use the xMove method but it's failed (trying to copy the data into my install partition) every time I've tried.

I checked that it was definitely "installed" to my system drive first - I've got a bunch of .pkg files in the /Mac OS Installer directory (or something like that anyway, I'm not on the Mac at the moment & didn't write down the exact name.)

My motherboard doesn't seem to want to boot from the USB stick either. I guess it's some special Mac format the PC doesn't recognise.

There must be a way, surely. maybe I'm Doing It Wrong? (I find that happens a lot ;))

Edit: I gave up and bought the app store version instead. Problem solved.

Somewhat offtopic:

$ 69,-- for a Lion USB stick? I think that's in comparison with 10.6.3 very expensive. For the Snow Leopard DVD I paid € 29,- which is very competitive with Win7.

Apple should give us a discount as helpers of the Apple community..... :D

Any word yet on a successful method using the official Lion USB to upgrade a Hackintosh running 10.6.8?

note: I just got the USB version in the mail and have held off upgrading till the dust settles.

featherodd said:
Any word yet on a successful method using the official Lion USB to upgrade a Hackintosh running 10.6.8?

note: I just got the USB version in the mail and have held off upgrading till the dust settles.
Being worked on :)

eelhead said:
featherodd said:

Being worked on :)

sweet :)

I have found that I can do a totally fresh install of Lion (with a lot of trial and error priorly performed) by doing the following (you will still need a working install of Snow Leopard):

Follow this guide to create a rescue disk:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... drive.html

I did it using a flash reader and MicroSD card (65MB).
Once done, copy your /Extra folder along with your DSDT.aml file to the root of the rescue disc. This rescue disc is what allows you to boot into Lion after fresh install otherwise you will experience a Kernel panic. This rescue disc is very useful for later accessing the Install partition (which I leave on my drive permanently) or if I get a kernel panic.

Incidentally, my motherboard does not have a patched DSDT AFAIK (it is a DFI Lanparty DKP35 T2RS) but I did extract and create a vanilla one using DSDT editor. Without the DSDT on this rescue disc Lion will not boot. You MUST extract the DSDT and compile it from Snow Leopard AFTER running the Apple combined update (3.6.8) and running Multibeast 3.8 or 3.9 Snow Leopard edition.

Follow tonymacx86 Xmove+multibeast guide to get the Lion install extracted and ready for installation.
I did the install by partitioning my boot drive (from Snow Leopard) with the 8GB method. After Lion extraction you do this by running Xmove and selecting the 8GB partition for install. Boot from Chameleon, select the Lion installer drive/partition and before you start the installer go to the Utilities at the top and run disk utility. Delete your Snow Leopard partition, create a new one and name it Lion or whatever you want and apply. Close disk utility and continue with installation. Select the Lion partition and install. This process is much quicker than updating!

At the end of the install, you MUST do the first boot into Lion using your rescue disc. Once there install Multibeast as usual and enjoy a freshly installed Lion. Keep your rescue disc intact and safe.
I had no success using Multibeast V4 (designed for Lion) on my PC so I used V3.9 which works perfectly. However, V4 does work fine on an Asus P55-Pro motherboard using a patched DSDT. I have done this fresh install successfully on the above 2 motherboards, and as mentioned when I need to the fresh install is MUCH quicker and cleaner than an update. I am also confused with Multibeast V4 when it puts the kexts into system folders instead of the /Extra folder. This makes repair far harder than simply keeping them in the /Extra folder.

Big thanks to tonymacx86 for his incredibly useful toolsuite!

NOTE: I take NO responsibility if the above does not work for you. Back up all your data before trying this because you WILL lose your Snow Leopard install. I did this from a fresh drive and had not data so I did not care if I had to re-install Snow Leopard. Do at your own risk. Feel free to ask me any questions (I just included the basics but I have a lot more to share if needed, I learned a lot in the last 6 days about Hackintoshes including how to restore a bad boot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back