Contribute
Register

Apple Previews iMac Pro: The Fastest Mac Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me respectfully disagree :) I dont think it saves space and especially cutting cables. If I take a look behind my iMac I see lot's of cables. Outer Bluray writer, HD for Time Machine (a must) 2 other HD for films (OK that is my mania :). USB splitter, CF card reader, charging cable for the phone... etc... Almost every one I saw have the same situation.

If I could put al the HDs into a tower there would be a lot more order on my desk (yes I am about to build a Hackintosh for work :) )

rockjano
Ah, but see - you are not taking advantage of the Apple Vision. They want people to go "wireless." They also want people to use (now) Thunderbolt as that can connect many more devices so less cabling is needed. And, if you had bought a NAS (or equivalent), you wouldn't have so many drives connected to your iMac.

I state the above using humor. :)

Seriously though, yes, I do think Apple should have left some things in the AIO's - such as the SuperDrive. I also think that some ports should be on the front (Oh, crap, there goes that aesthetic!!!), along with the SD card reader (should have been left in too). I mean who wants to reach around, awkwardly, to get at those things???

I bought a USB hub to run a wire from back to front, so, yes, still had cables. I had a FireWire 400 external drive connected to the rear. So, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

However, the AIO got rid of A Very Big Box that I now have (and I'm not at all complaining about it because it completely rocks), and both a monitor cable and monitor power cable. That was nice. However, I like my Very Big Box much better!!!

So, I suppose I'm not much into the Apple Vision in that respect either... ;) But, that doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate what they are trying to do.

Well, it's definitely not for you since you're running a H77 based system. However, we have some professional users of Macs/Hackintoshes on this forum, such as BoomR and pastrychef. So, since I'm no longer in the "business", I'll let them pontificate as they have more credibility.

"you're running a H77 based system" yeah true but I am just about to change to Skylake or even Cabylake if the new system will be Hackintosh compatible

Ah, but see - you are not taking advantage of the Apple Vision. They want people to go "wireless." They also want people to use (now) Thunderbolt as that can connect many more devices so less cabling is needed. And, if you had bought a NAS (or equivalent), you wouldn't have so many drives connected to your iMac.

I state the above using humor. :)

Seriously though, yes, I do think Apple should have left some things in the AIO's - such as the SuperDrive. I also think that some ports should be on the front (Oh, crap, there goes that aesthetic!!!), along with the SD card reader (should have been left in too). I mean who wants to reach around, awkwardly, to get at those things???

I bought a USB hub to run a wire from back to front, so, yes, still had cables. I had a FireWire 400 external drive connected to the rear. So, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

However, the AIO got rid of A Very Big Box that I now have (and I'm not at all complaining about it because it completely rocks), and both a monitor cable and monitor power cable. That was nice. However, I like my Very Big Box much better!!!

So, I suppose I'm not much into the Apple Vision in that respect either... ;) But, that doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate what they are trying to do.

Absolutely agree.

My opinion is that the iMac should be what it was originally designed for... an Office mac all in one saving space for secretaries, not very fast so there would be no problem with cooling.

It is just not meant to be for the professional designers especially the video people. We need tower..a smaller one for the Indesign-Photoshop crowd and a bigger one for the video guys with ample of space for HD's.

I just don't understand why is this good for Apple (they might make a lot of money with the iMacs I don't know)

Building a very powerful machine behind a monitor is just... well.. stupid... (that is only my humble opinion)

What I love is how people deny they are the target market for a machine (certainly a valid position), but then extend that to all people in all use cases in all industries, and then argue and argue and argue their ridiculous position.

I think it's clear, even this early, there is a lot of interest for this machine (and this from a tech press and blogosphere that is vehemently anti-Apple). Though it may not be to your personal liking (in one or more ways) or fit your personal needs, as long as Apple follows through on its promise of this machine, it will sell and most likely sell very well. If it does, is that a bad thing, really?

At this point nothing is certain, therefore obviously we'll have to wait and see, but what an exciting time and it's made me even more excited to see what they unveil in this new "modular" Mac Pro in the works.

What I love is how people deny they are the target market for a machine (certainly a valid position), but then extend that to all people in all use cases in all industries, and then argue and argue and argue their ridiculous position.

I think it's clear, even this early, there is a lot of interest for this machine (and this from a tech press and blogosphere that is vehemently anti-Apple). Though it may not be to your personal liking (in one or more ways) or fit your personal needs, as long as Apple follows through on its promise of this machine, it will sell and most likely sell very well. If it does, is that a bad thing, really?

At this point nothing is certain, therefore obviously we'll have to wait and see, but what an exciting time and it's made me even more excited to see what they unveil in this new "modular" Mac Pro in the works.

OK I am sure they will sell a lot (relatively) and also the future MacPro will sell very well (the trashcan mac was not really a big success as far as I know).

But I also think that a cheaper MacPro in the old case would also sell very-very well.

Yes I am not the target market true but I still have the right to express my opinion

I think it's great that Apple is finally starting to at least communicate with/ listen to their customers, admitting the mistakes they've made and attempting to give macOS users what they are asking for. They wouldn't have designed / built this iMac Pro if there were no demand for it from their Pro Users. As has been said we'll have to wait and see how cool the internals will stay with an 18 core CPU rendering video for many hours at a time. I'm sure they've already done some torture testing of the new cooling system in the lab, it's not likely that it's a "half-baked" idea that will end up being another Mac museum piece.

Yes I am not the target market true but I still have the right to express my opinion

Yes, I'm sure that millions of people will love to know how stupid you think the product they are enjoying, because you are merely expressing your opinion.

I think it's great that Apple is finally starting to at least communicate with/ listen to their customers, admitting the mistakes they've made and attempting to give macOS users what they are asking for. They wouldn't have designed / built this iMac Pro if there were no demand for it from their Pro Users. As has been said we'll have to wait and see how cool the internals will stay with an 18 core CPU rendering video for many hours at a time. I'm sure they've already done some torture testing of the new cooling system in the lab, it's not likely that it's a "half-baked" idea that will end up being another Mac museum piece.

" how cool the internals will stay with an 18 core CPU rendering video for many hours at a time" Yeah that is the question. I have doubts. They could not solve this problem with the current lineup that is for sure. Especially after some years many iMac starts to heat up, HD's die very fast and in my case even the monitor starts to develop heat stains. The heat paste could be changed but even that does not always help. The mainboard also gets fragile because of the heat.

Other problem is the dirt which goes into the monitor unit because of the fans (normal monitors do not have fans), not just under the plastic monitor cover but into the sealed monitor part. I cleaned it, cut up the aluminium stickers cleaned it and sealed it back but it is really not for the average user, even the service did not want to do it I had to do it by myself. After that I decided that no more iMac never-ever. I was considering the mini but that is really weak so no other solution than the Hackintosh.

I can only say building a fast computer behind a monitor is a very bad idea and I have the experience to say that. It looks great for some years until it is new but after that it could be a nightmare...

I can only say building a fast computer behind a monitor is a very bad idea and I have the experience to say that. It looks great for some years until it is new but after that it could be a nightmare...

You have an anecdote, that is all. Here is mine: my iMac is 10 years old and about to be put on eBay (since I have this lovely new Hackintosh to replace it). It lost its hard drive, but not faster than hard drives normally die, in fact my NAS lost a hard drive in 1 year but I'm not running around decrying the form factor of the NAS. My iMac prior to that was 7 years old when I replaced it, and it was in perfect condition when it sold for a very good price on the 2nd hand market.

"Some years" - that's an eternity for some companies.

Some people and companies like the AIO form factor, it's clean aesthetically and functionally and the fewer options available the better - they just want to select from a couple of choices and that's all the decision regarding the machine for its life. They hate the idea of cracking a case and want nothing to do with the costs associated with a product of that sort (skills, time, cost, etc.). For them this machine will be perfect. For others, a more modular offering is a better fit, and while it's not for everyone, running around calling that choice stupid despite its particular drawbacks is so utterly negative, but I guess that's what some think the internets are for. ;-)

You have an anecdote, that is all. Here is mine: my iMac is 10 years old and about to be put on eBay (since I have this lovely new Hackintosh to replace it). It lost its hard drive, but not faster than hard drives normally die, in fact my NAS lost a hard drive in 1 year but I'm not running around decrying the form factor of the NAS. My iMac prior to that was 7 years old when I replaced it, and it was in perfect condition when it sold for a very good price on the 2nd hand market.

"Some years" - that's an eternity for some companies.

Some people and companies like the AIO form factor, it's clean aesthetically and functionally and the fewer options available the better - they just want to select from a couple of choices and that's all the decision regarding the machine for its life. They hate the idea of cracking a case and want nothing to do with the costs associated with a product of that sort (skills, time, cost, etc.). For them this machine will be perfect. For others, a more modular offering is a better fit, and while it's not for everyone, running around calling that choice stupid despite its particular drawbacks is so utterly negative, but I guess that's what some think the internets are for. ;-)

Hi OK I am sorry for the remark (stupid was really strong my english is not so good)

I hear you ... you are right. I can only tell my experiences with my iMac. I also know others with similar problems my machine 8 years old, and I had many problems with it but I am still using it writing this on it right now. I will sell it after I build the Hackintosh. And yes it keeps its value quite well.

It might be that mine is an early i7 chip which was quite fast in it's time so it might be the cause for the heating problems, I also know other iMacs even older than mine which are OK (the screen is not as now but it is OK) those are Core2Duo which never produced that much heat.

But I still think that the iMac as a fast production machine might not be the best idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back