CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1200
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Apple Mac G5 UnRaid NAS Build 'Sal' (mATX)

Hi,

Welcome to my build thread for my first ever PC build which happens to be an UnRaid NAS in an Apple Mac G5 case. I have never owned a PC let alone built one, but as all of my films are being ripped to ISO format I am rapidly running out of space (not to mention my Lossless music files).

We are a mac only household that consists of iPhones, iPads, Macbook Pros, Mac Pro, Mac mini and an Apple TV and a 27 Thunderbolt Display. Which is why I have decided to build my NAS in a G5 case as it will be sat next to it in my home office. Being a Graphic Designer we are a slightly annally retentive bunch and we like things to match.

Several months ago I bought an empty case to convert which you can see here. They really are massively over engineered and offer a lot of scope if your prepared to get you hands dirty. Over the next few months I didn't do a lot apart from start collecting parts for my build. I also had an excuse as I have being having a few health issues (Graves Disease, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Eye disease) which has delayed my build a little. But I have managed to collect a few parts which I'll list at the bottom of this first post as it will become updated as I progress.

Having now had a Total Thyroidectomy (I won't share the 6 inch scar photo)  I am ready to begin.

Build components so far...

Case:
Apple G5

HDD:
1. Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 64mb cache sata3
2. Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 64mb cache sata3
3. Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 64mb cache sata3
4. Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 64mb cache sata3
5. Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 64mb cache sata3
6. Corsair Neutron GTX 480gb SSD
7. Corsair Neutron GTX 480gb SSD

HDD Cage:
1. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage
2. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage
3. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage
4. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage
5. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage
6. Corsair CC-8930108 900D HDD Drive Cage

Sata Back Plane:
1. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable
2. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable
3. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable
4. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable
5. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable
6. Corsair CC-8930118 900D HDD SATA Hot Swap Cable

PSU:
Corsair RM750

CPU:
-

CPU Cooling:
Corsair H110 (will be removed as i can't use it with the Supermicro MB)
UPDATED TO A Phantek PH-TC14PE to maintain the aluminium look.

Fans:
1. Corsair SP120 quiet edition 120mm 1,450rpm 23dba
2. Corsair SP120 quiet edition 120mm 1,450rpm 23dba
3. Corsair SP120 quiet edition 120mm 1,450rpm 23dba
4. Corsair SP120 quiet edition 120mm 1,450rpm 23dba

Motherboard:
Supermicro X10SLL-S 1150 socket motherboard

SAS/SATA Cards:
1. Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 Sata Expander
2. Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 Sata Expander

RAM:
-

The original case:

NAS_01.JPGNAS_02.JPGNAS_03.JPG

Time to strip the case:
NAS_04.JPGNAS_05.JPGNAS_06.JPGNAS_07.JPGNAS_08.JPG

Measuring up and the reason behind my build (symmetry):

Here you can see my existing G5 next to the NAS build on the left. The G5 is still a working mac, but isn't used anymore so it will be converted at a later date to an HTPC machine to server the plasma screen in this room. The NAS will send it files to this machine and a mac mini in the living room and an apple tv in another bedroom, all of which run XBMC. At the moment this case only has room for 9 HDD drive cages when they are joined together.

This is how it will stay until i get it all up and running. But once i have i'll purchase another G5 case and cut them in half and rejoin them to make a case that is between 600 - 650mm. This will then allow me to have 18 HDDs in a group. Plus space for my SSDs, Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT, Phantek Cooler etc.

You can also see that when the cages are stacked they fit perfectly in the available space and the small lip links perfectly with the G5's cage.

NAS_09.jpgNAS_14.JPGNAS_12.JPGNAS_11.JPGNAS_13.JPGNAS_10.JPG

08.04.2014 Update

I've managed to get my hands on a second G5 case that will be used to lengthen the original, so unfortunately no more updates until the weekend.

14.04.2014 Update

I've managed to get my hands on a third G5 case that will be updated into a hackintosh HTPC / Graphics machine. Im going to use the two Corsair Neutron GTX 480gb SSD's drives in this as well as the Corsair H110 Rad and i've just picked up a Gigabyte H87-HD3 motherboard. So the bug has got me in its grips!

10.06.2014 Update

Time for an update :) I've been busy acquiring all of the parts need for the build. I now have the majority of the components that i need except CPU and RAM. Both will be added after my summer holiday but in the meantime i've set about cutting and lengthening the cases into a single version. I am now referring to the build as 'limo' for obvious reasons.

I now need to get a couple of hot shoe Corsair 900D case mounts for the HDD's as when all the drives are in place they really are quite heavy. I am going to mount a 5mm piece of aluminium to the back of the case that will be taped and drilled to take secondary screws. The HDD case slide into one another so when stacked vertically they are pretty secure. I've have mounted 3x fans to the front of the first HDD cages that will draw air from the front through the drives, then into my Phantek's which have had the fans replaced with matching Corsair fans, then the hot air exits via another Corsair fan that's mounted onto my Laser Hive back plate (great kit by the way).

The colour theme is going to be silver aluminium with black, blue and silver braided cables. The Corsair HDD cages will be stripped down to bare metal to match the theme.

For the time being its a work in progress and once i have it altogether and working i'll strip it down and paint it up to the desired finish, so fear not (as a Creative Director i am very anally retentive!).
G5-server-01.jpgG5-server-02.jpgG5-server-03.jpgG5-server-04.jpgG5-server-05.jpgG5-server-06.jpgG5-server-07.jpgG5-server-08.jpgG5-server-09.jpgG5-server-10.jpgG5-server-11.jpgG5-server-12.jpgG5-server-13.jpgG5-server-14.jpgG5-server-15.jpg

Hopefully you can see from the photos, but i've carefully cut each case component to use the existing spacing around the case bolts - which is 55mm from centre to centre on the majority of them. As you get closer to the ends (front and back) these reduce down. By making careful cuts i've been able to use the factory shapes to pull the case together.

I've used JB weld for the first time which is great stuff, although when i opened up the case to put the centre pieces back in the smaller joins that are on the opening snapped. So these will have to be re done when i fill and sand for the perfect finish. But overall its a very well made case that is particularly versatile when used carefully.

Next jobs are the HDD cage mounts, that will utilise two PSU trays joined together in the bottom, with a finished piece of trim above that will house the hot shoe mount for the two stacks of HDDs and will also allow me to fit a fan controller into the bottom as the PSU is going to be top mounted. I am also going to fill in the opening at the front of the case as it doesn't need a DVD/Blu-ray drive.

Hey there. Interesting build. So you are building this as a NAS? Are you going to install osX onto it?

To clean the inside of the case I just used standard alcohol based cleaner on a microfiber + a can of compressed air & hover to clean out any loose bits.

You want to cut the side door bar as in the shelf?

Hi,

Thanks for the response and answers on cleaning. Yes I am going to cut the side bar and only use one of the clips to hold the door on. I'm waiting for my kit from the laserhive first before I go ahead (I've been giving David a few headaches!). I'm hoping I can squeeze in 20 hdds with a custom backplate. This will then be supplemented with SSD's and an Aquaero 6 XT USB fan controller, graphic LCD, touch control, IR remote control.

I've pumped for a mATX motherboard tray, perspex side panel insert and a few other bits.

The overall look I'm trying to achieve is to match the factory aluminium interior, hence the Aquaero.

i just need to decide on cabling colours next, possibly silver as well.

The operating system will be Lime Technology unRaid which sits on a Cruzer USB drive on the motherboard. This server is to house ISO Blu Ray, DVD and Music files. It's tried and tested for the job.

Sounds good. I like the idea of something fitting in with all your apple gear, so the untrained would not even know it was hiding something else.

Still not sure why you want to cut the side bar?You can take take the shelf out without having to touch it. I took mine out, cut shelf to fit the psu and put it back so it now only has the shelf at the front, whilst keeping the side bar intact.

I want to cut it to basically allow the 3x3 HDD cages to slot into one another. They also have a very convenient lip that hooks on the bottom and top opening which makes it look like a factory fit. But to do this the bar has to be cut. I am also comtemplating lengthening the case in the middle to allow more drives, but i'll wait until i get my kit.

I'll post more photos over the next couple of days.

Going to watch this build very closely. Lengthening the case sounds interesting. At some point would it not be easier + more cost and time effective to just use a different case?

Yes but where is the fun in that. Although I had selected a Corsair Obsinian 900d as an alternative. But they are £275.

I have a G5 case which I have modified to ATX. Doing some quick maths, the cost of the case + components (back panel & mobo board from laser hive etc) it came to around £150ish. Also then need to factor in the time it took me to strip, cut, fit & fabricate any new bits I wanted. Charging my usual day rate, this case would be worth over £750 as I have spend around 2 days on it.

You are right though.... where is the fun in just buying a ready to go case.

900d is a massive case. Are you planning on making the G5 that long?

Not as long as the 900d. But possible 600mm to 650mm will do it. The problem is i am already stock piling more bits for a second build. Its quite addictive :)

Now if i could only find a cheap intel E1200 V3 LGA1150 CPU. The Xeon's are so expensive.

Its good to have little projects. I was checking out Million Dollar PC last night for ideas on cable braiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back