Contribute
Register

Apple Mac G5 UnRaid NAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up I attached the new backplate. You can clearly see it's the PSU up top backplate but the exhaust fan is higher up.

image.jpg

With the backplate attached I began assembling the other components. The motherboard tray has the space under it cut out for SSD's should I need them in the future. But in the meantime I hope 18 HDD's is enough!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Whilst I had server stripped down I also decided to swap the Corsair RM750 for a Corsair HX850i as I got a great deal and I might make use of the Corsair Link software for controlling fans, temperature and LEDs. I then started pulling the rest of it together.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thats as as far as I've gotten today. The Phantek CPU cooler is just placed on top for now until I manage to find a great deal on an Intel E3 Xeon 1275 1150. :-/

how did the cutting work on this? it looks really good but do you have pictures of the rest? the reason why I am asking is because I am going to take of 6 inches of my Mac G5 in the front to give it more of a sky-scraper look. I guess I'm doing the opposite of what you did by taking out the middle section and I want to see what the far side would look like?

BTW your build looks awesome, I just need mine to be slightly more portable that's why I am doing this. next semester I will need to do my senior project for my computer science degree and I wish to use my desktop computer opposed to my current laptop. I commute to college so it would be much easier if my case were smaller.

how did the cutting work on this? it looks really good but do you have pictures of the rest? the reason why I am asking is because I am going to take of 6 inches of my Mac G5 in the front to give it more of a sky-scraper look. I guess I'm doing the opposite of what you did by taking out the middle section and I want to see what the far side would look like?

BTW your build looks awesome, I just need mine to be slightly more portable that's why I am doing this. next semester I will need to do my senior project for my computer science degree and I wish to use my desktop computer opposed to my current laptop. I commute to college so it would be much easier if my case were smaller.

Malexry I am pleased to read that you are planning a “slice” G5 Power Mac project. Please start your own thread and document the project with a build log.

I have completed several projects that involved cutting the G5 case and offer up links to two of these:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-tower-of-power-top-for-short-a-file-server.104010/

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-g5-short-stack-powermac-g5-mod.93348/

I hope that you find these projects to be helpful in the planning of your project.
Good modding,

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back