Contribute
Register

Apple logo and black screen (previously everything was fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B85-G43
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hi,

Today I wanted to boot Mavericks, but unfortunately I saw Apple logo for a few seconds and then the screen got black.

Yesterday I played a little with themes for Clover, but I didn't really change anything (theme is the same as it was) and Clover works properly.
Another thing is the fact that 2 days ago I started using my Probook with external monitor (VGA), but there was no problem with it and I really don't know what caused this black screen.

What can I do?

Do i have to reinstall OS X using recovery partition? Will Windows 8 (I have OS X and Win 8 on 1 HDD) still be possible to boot after reinstall of OS X?

Hi,

Today I wanted to boot Mavericks, but unfortunately I saw Apple logo for a few seconds and then the screen got black.

Yesterday I played a little with themes for Clover, but I didn't really change anything (theme is the same as it was) and Clover works properly.
Another thing is the fact that 2 days ago I started using my Probook with external monitor (VGA), but there was no problem with it and I really don't know what caused this black screen.

What can I do?

Do i have to reinstall OS X using recovery partition? Will Windows 8 (I have OS X and Win 8 on 1 HDD) still be possible to boot after reinstall of OS X?

Just a guess: You probably made an accidental change to your config.plist. It is a good idea to make a backup prior to editing, just in case, and so you can diff the old config.plist with the new config.plist to be certain there are no unintended changes.

Can you boot using your USB installer?

Just a guess: You probably made an accidental change to your config.plist. It is a good idea to make a backup prior to editing, just in case, and so you can diff the old config.plist with the new config.plist to be certain there are no unintended changes.

Can you boot using your USB installer?

Yes, it booted from USB. What should I do now to be able to boot form HDD?? (when booting from USB the sound and battery status both don't work)

Yes, it booted from USB. What should I do now to be able to boot form HDD??

You could use the ProBook Installer (Clover Edition) to re-install config.plist... or regenerate patched DSDT.

(when booting from USB the sound and battery status both don't work)

Of course. When you boot from USB you're using native DSDT, not patched.

Yes, it booted from USB. What should I do now to be able to boot form HDD?? (when booting from USB the sound and battery status both don't work)

Try to boot from HDD, then increase the brightness.

Try to boot from HDD, then increase the brightness.

IT WORKED!!! I didn't know that decreasing brightness you can actually make the screen go totally black! I don't know why it happened, I din't 'play' with brightness on my laptop yesterday, but I might have done it on the external VGA monitor.

Thank you @TimeToWin and @RehabMan!

IT WORKED!!! I didn't know that decreasing brightness you can actually make the screen go totally black! I don't know why it happened, I din't 'play' with brightness on my laptop yesterday, but I might have done it on the external VGA monitor.

Thank you @TimeToWin and @RehabMan!

You probably do not have brightness control correctly implemented...

And if it was only a brightness issue, you could have simply pressed "brightness up" key.

You probably do not have brightness control correctly implemented...

And if it was only a brightness issue, you could have simply pressed "brightness up" key.

That's what I did - I just pressed brightness up key and it worked.

Actually I was surprised that brightness control buttons work in OS X. They don't work in Windows 8.1!

That's what I did - I just pressed brightness up key and it worked.

Perhaps originally (yesterday) you shutdown the laptop with the laptop display off.

Actually I was surprised that brightness control buttons work in OS X. They don't work in Windows 8.1!

Yes, they work in both systems. On OS X you have the choice of them being on Fn+Fkeys or just fkeys. On Windows, they are always tied to Fn+fkeys.

I surely didn't shut down my laptop with display turned off. I haf It connected to a monitor, but I use clone mode.

On Windows brightness keys worked only when I installed additional HP software, but this software also caused some problems with my keyboard (it became kind of laggy), so I removed it and can only set brightness in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back