Contribute
Register

Apple LED Cinema Display (non-Thunderbolt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot xtwombly.

I have a MSI 6850 Cyclone like <a href=http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=28110>this</a>. I have all ports on the card, incl Display Port. Seems I would be needing a cable with Display Port Male in one side and Mini Display Port female on the other. Does that exist? 4m would be OK.

On the other hand, adapter, if they exist, would maybe do the job. I have a HDMI already in place. That leaves me with the task to connect a male HDMI to a male mini display porft coming from the ACD :/

Found it! Female mini displayport to male display port adapter. Combined with the 4m mini displayport extension and this should do the job. You can then run a separate USB cable if you want that functionality on your ACD. :headbang:

Should I expect any kind of weirdness (like lack of drivers, etc) if I use Mini DisplayPort + conectors, or should it be just like HDMI and just work?

Hehe, perfect. OMG, all that because Apple decides to cut proper connectors from her monitors :/ Thanks alot xtwombly!

DisplayPort is MORE native to Apple than HDMI (they designed the mini-DP standard). You should have no problems with it. Also, DP is absolutely a proper connector - it's designed for high-resolution displays like the ACD.

Monoprice has something very, very close to what you need. It's a 15ft DP male to mDP male cable You possibly could use this in conduction with a mDP female to female coupler, but the other setup suggested by xtwombly should work as well.

Great to hear that sonicseamus. Investing in a ACD is a huge decision. Over here in Brazil they cost over USD1700. Must be totally sure it will work. Regarding future, is it assumed that most of the graphics card will continue to have DisplayPort connectors? In that sense, HDMI seems to the more future-proof solution.

HDMI does not push as high of a resolution as DisplayPort since DisplayPort is for PC monitors and HDMI was originally created for TV's which have lower resolutions. Until HDMI increases their standard specs (and hardware manufacturers start building to those specs), I don't think you'll see really high-end monitors with HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back