Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, the 6 year old Ivy Bridge systems can still be quite good, even with Mojave. None of us really knew how good they were when they first came out. Their longevity is impressive.
Indeed, I have an Ivy Bridge and a Kaby Lake hackintoshes, and the Ivy Bridge is the most transparent to upgrade, almost nothing else to tinker in this one. I haven't upgraded the Kaby Lake one since I'm still waiting for the Nvidia web driver for my GTX 1080, but in the Ivy Bridge box I have a GTX 770 which Apple natively support, so I'm using the Ivy on Mojave for the time being.

The new Intel UHD Graphics 617 GPU for the macbook air is a Kaby Lake GPU

Cult of Mac Mac Mini Article from October 2014
This was posted on their site about 4 years ago in October.

"The mini was last updated in October 2012 — an eternity in Apple’s busy product update schedule.

The 2014 models (which come in three basic configurations) have been updated with Intel’s higher-performance 4th-generation (“Haswell”) i5 processors and integrated Iris graphics. The new processors bring a modest performance improvement over the previous generation chips."

If 2 years used to be an Eternity what is 4 years then ? Will the next refresh be 8 years from now in 2026 ? Better buy the i7-8700 version w/ 1TB NVME and upgrade the ram to 64 GB from the start if you are going this route. My 2005 G4 Mini came with a 1.25 GHz single core CPU (G4) and 512 MB of ram. It was obsolete by about 3 years after I bought it. It's what got me into hackintoshing so I'm grateful for that. One of the two USB ports had failed so I was looking to replace the mobo. The price of those started at $350. That's when I started looking for a new approach to running macOS.

Last edited:
With all the Thunderbolt ports, users can always add fast storage later on.

With all the Thunderbolt ports, users can always add fast storage later on.
How fast is it compatred to an regular internal sata SSD? eg Samsung EVO840

Anyone know which CPU's are exacly used in the new MacMini ?
It would be great to analyze its Benchmarks

[EDIT]
I see probably i7-8700 Prozessor

Last edited:
How fast is it compatred to an regular internal sata SSD? eg Samsung EVO840

None of the current NVMe SSDs should be able to saturate Thunderbolt 3.

None of the current NVMe SSDs should not be able to saturate Thunderbolt 3.
Interesting ! So the MacMini gets an alternative for some people for sure unless yopu need {a} PCIe port{s}

Interesting ! So the MacMini gets an alternative for some people for sure unless yopu need {a} PCIe port{s}

Opps. Mistyped. I meant to say they can not saturate Thunderbolt 3.

Thunderbolt 3 should have same bandwidth as PCI-e x4. As far as I know, all M.2 slots in current gen motherboards are PCI-e x4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back