Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Apple Changed 10.13.6 Security Update to 17G6030> No Nvidia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, one is simply stubborn and refuses to follow simple instructions.
Simple? /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
"brew update
brew tap vulgo/repo && brew install webdriver.sh"

IMHO Terminal = NOT SIMPLE, Homebrew = NOT SIMPLE, web driver.sh = NOT SIMPLE. Have you read Terminal's process when the "simple instructions" are followed? There are files I have never heard of being installed in places I have never seen and don't know how to get to. Yes, it works, but "simple?" No way. (A 3-dimensional L-band parametric up-converter is "simple.")

Simple? /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
"brew update
brew tap vulgo/repo && brew install webdriver.sh"

IMHO Terminal = NOT SIMPLE, Homebrew = NOT SIMPLE, web driver.sh = NOT SIMPLE. Have you read Terminal's process when the "simple instructions" are followed? There are files I have never heard of being installed in places I have never seen and don't know how to get to. Yes, it works, but "simple?" No way. (A 3-dimensional L-band parametric up-converter is "simple.")

It only reflects your own level of education. Simple math, for example 245 + 123, isn’t simple for many people, as they don’t except do to any calculation by themselves. If you want simple way, then go and buy Apple macOS comp from some Apple Store. But please, don’t whine here!

Is this on your EX58 box? I am also stuck in a similar situation with my X58 system. Anyone with an older BIOS based system have the update work? I have tried multiple things today, rolling back to last good state after each attempt. Tried after just rolling back (system and EFI replaced from backups), tried the new replacement update, tried with NVidia drivers uninstalled - each time same result.

Update actually starts to install for me.
Gets to 'restart' step.
When clicking 'restart', OSX starts to shut down and then just stops with a black screen and cursor. Looking at the logs, background processes continue (and things like media eject key still works) and there are no errors/issues until I force power down the machine. It never 'hangs' just stops the shut down in a weird state. From that point on, the machine starts up fine - just won't shut down/restart without that 'black screen' at end and the update is not actually installed.
Yes Bartman01 it is my EX58 system. It sounds like we are having very similar experiences regarding the stalling process of this upgrade. Versions prior to this have all gone quite smoothly on my EX58 setup. Have you tried upgrading your version of Clover? I guess that's whats left for me to try. Nvidia drivers have never been an issue because my GeForce GTX 760 is natively supported. BTW, Even though my install process on restart seems to go no where before rebooting, I do eventually do a unforced reboot to Clover wherein file preboot and other preboot stuff as well as MacOSinstall appear as options from within Clover. In the past I've always selected MacOSInstall & after a couple restarts the upgrade would succeed. This time selecting MacOSInstall results in either Black screen or all white screen. Update never finishes. It leaves a copy of the macOSInstall Data folder in my root drive which contains several things including a locked folder called "Locked Files." I hope we can figure this out! have you been successful installing Mojave? I have it on a separate SSD and have not tried updating it from 10.14.3 yet. I'm still a bit more comfortable with High Sierra if I can get security updated. let's stay in touch on this. The older x58 machines have life left in them I think.

This box currently has a non-Mojave supported graphics card in it so upgrading to Mojave is not an immediate option. Last thing I did with this on Sunday was purge everything I could find related to the update off my system. Next step I am planning is to try the most current version of Clover but I won’t have time again until this weekend.

This box currently has a non-Mojave supported graphics card in it so upgrading to Mojave is not an immediate option. Last thing I did with this on Sunday was purge everything I could find related to the update off my system. Next step I am planning is to try the most current version of Clover but I won’t have time again until this weekend.
Bartman01, I too will be trying other Clover versions this week. I'll update my results at that time.

387.10.10.10.40.124 for 17G6030 is out now.

I confirm updated to this most recent version before I knew about this issue, and hence did without nvidia drivers for a few days. No other issues with the security update.

As soon as the release above here came out, nvidia popped up the updater notification, new driver installation per usual procedure, restart and everything back to normal.

Did you ever manage to solve the problem updating High Sierra Bartman01? I got mine to work but it wasn't an easy path to my final solution. You can check out my solution here. Hope you get it working.

Not yet, too busy with Taxes this weekend. Looks like you solution was to do it on an HFS formatted drive vs APFS. I will try that, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back