Contribute
Register

Anyone tried RX 5700 (XT) with latest public beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes Mojave.
I am really new to hackintosh. Do you think I could find a solution or I need to wait for Catalina ? .... or replace the card ?

yes Mojave.
I am really new to hackintosh. Do you think I could find a solution or I need to wait for Catalina ? .... or replace the card ?
You are posting in Catalina Desktop Support - Mojave is off-topic.

yes Mojave.
Sorry about the confusion. I genuinely thought that you were using Catalina.
My advice is to wait a bit first. There’s a possibility that support for your card might be part of Catalina when it releases or maybe in the first point release. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

Last edited:
macOS Catalina GM is out. I'll try tomorrow to update my PC with the 5700 XT in it and see what happens.

crossing fingers :)
I am about to send back my card to Amazon and replace with a Vega64. But I will wait for your feedback first

I've been contemplating sending mine back as well but I have a feeling that as soon as I do we'll hear positive news about macOS supporting it.

I've been contemplating sending mine back as well but I have a feeling that as soon as I do we'll hear positive news about macOS supporting it.

there is code in Catalina. Its started in Mojave with the AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext.

Notice the Navi10 below and the ZN38 (Navi OSX card designation).
HW6000kext ZN38.png

This kext was removed from Mojave and now in Catalina its is in the AMDRadeon (4000 and 5000) HWServiceskext. Now in Catalina there is Navi10, 12, 14, and 21. The same as is in current Linux code.

We also now have ZN38 in the AMDRadeon4000 and 5000kexts.

4000kext ZN38.png

However they have not included the Navi10, 12 etc.. but the card Number ZN38 is there.

Looking at the AMDRadeon10000Controllerkext we don't have that ZN38 yet. We have ZN30 (Vega10).

So the basic beginnings of the Navi code is in MacOS but we are still missing some key parts in the Controller and accelerator kexts. The good news is that apple started with the HW6000Serviceskext (Nov 2018) and only Navi10 to the current Catalina Navi10, 12, 14, 21. So they are developing these cards and testing.

Navi 5400kext.png

Be Patient, it's likely coming soon. Apple will need to replace the discontinued RX 400-500 series cards. Its a new tech and Apple doesn't have any GDDR6 memory graphics cards so maybe they are waiting for bugs to be worked out by AMD, or for HBM2/Navi cards to come out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back