RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys,
Returning back after sometime. Super happy with my system overall.

Have one question, would appreciate any advise on this topic.

I'm trying to get PyTorch running on my GPU. If Cuda/Nvidia would be possible, there wouldn't be any question. However, since I am on AMD, I have to look into an OpenCL, and here's where I'm stuck.

I see tons of articles but they all lead to some form of linux, none I could find are for Mac.

Any links to articles that any of you had followed, please share.

Thanks,

This makes sense, Craighazan, thank you. But, my follow up question is, if anyone actually was able to build one, or this is not practical? If not, what would you recommend, considering that I'm not ready to invest in Nvidia.

One option is to dockerize ubuntu. Another is to dual-boot my system for when the test runs, but I really don't like this idea, since I haven't configured my system for dual boot at the start of my installation, and now I'm hesitant to mess something up and screw my current otherwise-perfectly-working Monterey.

Please advise,

The simplest option is to dual boot Windows 10 or 11 on a separate NVMe drive. I do this on all my Hacks.

There is no messing around or risk with this option simply do the following:
  1. Shutdown and remove your macOS drive from the system.
  2. Install a new drive for Windows.
  3. Boot from the Windows USB installer.
    1. This needs to be set for UEFI booting with GUID partition manager, not Legacy & MBR.
    2. This is really important as the legacy drive won't be visible to OpenCore.
    3. I use Rufus to create my Windows installers as the UEFI options are easy to apply - http://rufus.ie/en/
  4. Install Windows and complete any post installation setup/app installations you require.
  5. Shut down the system.
  6. Reinstall the macOS drive.
  7. Go to the Bios and select the macOS's UEFI drive as the priority boot drive, so OpenCore is the default boot loader.
  8. Save and reboot your system.
  9. Your system should boot to the OC boot screen/picker list and an additional option/icon should be present for your Windows installation.
    1. It will normally be the first icon on the lefthand side, with the macOS icon to the right of the Windows icon (on the OC GUI screen).
    2. Use the right arrow key to select the macOS icon/name.
    3. Press and hold the Ctrl key, the arrow icon below the macOS drive should change from an upwards pointing arrow to a circular arrow.
    4. Press the Enter/Return key while still holding the Ctrl key and this should set your macOS drive as the default boot drive in OpenCore.
Simply use the left and right arrow keys on the OpenCore boot screen to select whichever OS you want to use.

Here is a guide for UEFI multi booting. It is now a little long in the tooth but the principles are the same as outlined above. Just adding a Linux OS in to the mix.

Back