Contribute
Register

Anyone have iMessage working?

Do you have iMessage working in Yosemite?

• Yes

Votes: 45 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 74.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"9) Call Apple to authorize. I've been very transparent with them and had no problems although I do mention that I have 2 Mac laptops, iPhone and iPad."

Wait, so you tell Apple you are trying to get your HACKintosh to run iMessage?

Yes, I tell them I have 2 Mac laptops and iPhone and iPad which all work (and happy to give them serial numbers if needed), but my open source OSX development system doesn't so just help me authorize to see if that clears it up. The worst that can happen is they tell me they can't support non-Apple products, but nobody has said that yet.

On my last call I even got the support person to help me clean up my Internet Accounts that kept duplicating. I filled out the support survey when I got the email from Apple and gave the support person high grades. All good.

Honestly I really don't care if they stop supporting me. My real solution to this problem is just use my iPhone.

Hey jblparisi.. thanks for the tip. Didn't work for me, and I followed your instructions explicitly.. might it differ for me since my mobo has ALC892? Thanks again.. and here's hoping I get audio soon. I'm not running HDMI Audio, so other than that, I answered the script questions as "yes".

what i did to get my sound working on Clover was to download Clover Configurator, load my config file (should be on the ESP/EFI partition, usually disk0s1) then select 'BOOT' under the 'Sections' pane on the left hand side.

You should then see under 'Arguments' a button to enable "kext-dev-mode=1" make sure it is selected then save your config and exit Clover configurator.

The next step is to open Multibeast and select your ALCxxx, in your case being ALC892 and also select
"Optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support"
Build, install, then reboot your system

This is what worked for me on my UEFI systems running Clover, yes there are other ways to get sound working but for me this was the easiest solution, only downside is that you have to reinstall the audio each time you update Mac OS.
You can natively do a binary/hex patch using Clover itself to do the same thing with the benefit of not having to reinstall audio kexts every OS update but i haven't had much luck myself

Same here so I re-read the excellent guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

I missed a major piece of information:

"MLB: This is now read from the 'Board Serial Number' field on the SMBIOS page, on a clean Clover install this is defaulted to Clovers own set value which is now black-listed on Apples systems. You therefore must replace this with your existing MLB value (on an existing install) or use your OSX S/N + Random Alpha / Numeric digits to make it up to 17 digits."

I did not manually create a unique MLB so I activated iMessage with the same MLB that all us Clover noobs tried to use and we can bet that it's been disabled on Apple's servers. I plan to fix this ASAP by doing the following:

1) Logout if iMessage and remove my iCloud account and Internet accounts.
2) Delete all of the prior iMessage setting and cache by following the instructions in the guide.
3) Generate a new system serial number.
4) Manually create and add a unique MLB. I will take my new system serial number and random numbers out to 17 digits.
5) Manually create a new unique SmUUID by creating a serial# by following the guide here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html#post795297

6) Manually add all of the above to Clover via Clover Configurator.
7) Reboot and login to iCloud and wait for Internet accounts and contacts to automatically populate.
8) Attempt login to iMessage and expect I will get the activation code message.
9) Call Apple to authorize. I've been very transparent with them and had no problems although I do mention that I have 2 Mac laptops, iPhone and iPad.
10) Reboot and cross fingers.

Will report back tomorrow on how successful this went.

Excellent summary. As it turns out, I used a serial number and MLB that were both generated by Clover (I had read the guide before they added the part explaining that Apple had started to block some of the Clover generated numbers. Don't know if I just got lucky, but so far so good).

Also, please note that it took over 12 hours after my call to Apple before my Messages started working.

FWIW I am copy/pasting my post to the "How to Fix iMessages" thread below:

--------------------------------------

Overview:
  1. my build/fix steps
  2. unblock took overnight to kick in
  3. my call to apple
  4. a few notes on the guide

1. My build/fix steps
I did a clean, Clover EFI install of Yosemite but couldn't log into iMessages. I had the pop-up with the Customer Code, saying I needed to call Apple.

I have the SID bug on my GA-Z87X-UD5H, so the fix required most the guide.
  • reset ethernet ports so they were en01 and en02;
  • generated a unique serial number that I checked on Apple's website;
  • set the computer profile to match the i7 build (iMac 14,2);
  • made sure the MLB and ROM etc. did not change after reboots;
  • deleted all caches and extensions;
  • called Apple to unblock iMessages.

2. Unblock took overnight to kick in
When Apple lifted the block, I could log in. However, I soon discovered that I couldn't send or receive messages and all contacts were in red. However, when I woke up this morning, it was working. So I guess it just needed some time for the fix to propagate fully. Hooray!

3. My call to Apple
The guide was very helpful here, as you will see. Overall the call took 30 minutes; 15 minutes before I spoke to anyone, and another 15 minutes on the call with the technician, most of which was spent on hold as he researched the problem.

To begin the call, I gave the serial number for my genuine MacBook Air, not my Hackintosh. At no point during the call did they ask for my serial number again. This was different from the last time I called about two months ago, where they refused to help because they couldn't match my Hackintosh serial number.

This technician did not recognize the problem and wanted to do a screen simulcast on my computer. This was bad for several reasons. Fortunately he came back from hold and said that system was down.

He then wanted to walk me through troubleshooting steps. Per the guide, I tried to explain that the problem wasn't with my computer but rather that Apple had put a hold on the account. He asked for the error message and disappeared for several minutes. He then tried to troubleshoot for Yosemite. I explained again, he put me on hold. This happened several times over 15 minutes.

When I finally got his full attention, I said that I had read through the Apple support forums and was fairly sure I knew what the problem was. I then explained the problem was caused by new security measures. All he needed to do was enter my Customer Code number and lift the block. I then read the error message in full.

He put me on hold yet again. When he returned, he directed me to the Apple ID website (which I already had ready). I generated a security number, gave it to him, and he lifted the block. Hooray!

He was very nice and I made sure to be friendly and upbeat. It helped that I was able to direct him to the solution (once I finally got his full attention :).

4. A few notes on the guide
The guide is excellent, comprehensive, and a lifesaver.

Re: Calling Apple to lift the block
If it's not already mentioned, it might be worth noting in bold that even after Apple unblocks you, it may still take several hours or even overnight before you can send and receive messages.

I mention this because I mistakenly assumed that my inability to send/receive messages meant there was still a problem with my settings and continued troubleshooting and nearly shot myself in the foot in the process. (see below)

Clover MLB values
I am using MLB values generated by Clover. Only after getting off the phone with Apple, did I notice that the guide (now) says these Clover-generated values are blocked by Apple. Oops. So I assumed this was my problem. I then changed my MLB values manually. Only then did I notice that I had missed a FaceTime call! So I tried logging into FaceTime only to see the error saying to call Apple and give them the Customer Code! In other words, FaceTime had been working, I didn't realize it, and had now broken it.

So I rolled back my MLB to the Clover-generated values (the ones I had when I called Apple). It worked! I could now log in to FaceTime. But Messages still didn't sent or receive texts. Oh well.

12+ hours later, I picked up where I left off only to discover Messages was now working.

Morals of the story:

1. follow the guide *closely*;
  2. allow up to 12 hours for Apple's block to fully lift before continuing to troubleshoot;
  3. don't troubleshoot angry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back