Contribute
Register

Any home-made solution for scratched plastics??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus rog strix z370-g gaming (wi-fi ac)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Graphics
Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello guys.
I´m on the proyect of fitting pc components to a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.
Nothing new here since there is alot of examples anywere in the web.
The problem i see is that the plastics (Maybe Acrylycs?) have a bunck of scratches -Mostly the main door one-. I have been looking for a solution in local shops and the web, but no one seems to be shure about the best way to remove them (Also alot of the people i ask dont know if it is Acrylyc or another type of material).
So any suggestion about a process for the job?
I prefer home abailable solutions because comercial products maybe in your country but not in mine (Argentina).
Most people suggested "Try thootpaste, so the worst it will happen is that...nothing will happen".
Thanks and sorry about my English.
Oh. Im not shure if this is on the right side of the forum.

Regular metal polish - Brasso - works well.

If you are brave enough you can also use wet and dry paper, going through the grades medium to very fine and then use polish to finish off. That will get rid of even bad scratches. You need a lot of patience and "elbow grease".

Good luck.

You'd have to try this at your own risk, but I've heard of people with 3D additive printers using acetone vapor to smooth their prints. Acetone essentially "melts" plastic and then the plastic dries once the acetone has evaporated. The result can be a perfectly smooth and shiny finish.

If you want to give it a try, I'd practice on a similar piece of plastic that you don't care about. Take a rag, put a small amount of acetone on it, and polish the scratched area with the cloth for maybe 10 seconds, and then continue to polish with a dry microfiber cloth. Let it dry and repeat as necessary

If you don't have direct access to acetone, it's available in high concentrations in products such as nail polish remover or paint thinner. Either of these would work too.

Good luck!

I've used wetsanding to refinish headlights before. This video should give you guys the basics. Just from experience the best rubbing compound is made by 3M, you'll find it in auto parts / autobody stores. Meguiars Plastix is a great micropolish and protectant once you're done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6KnlZnFAw

I'd start with 800-1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper but if you find there are scratches that won't come out go to a lower grit. Don't use WD40 for a lubricant like some people say to. It stinks and it makes a mess. One drop of dish soap in warm water is all you need. If you find sanding isn't doing much you may have too much soap in the water. Sand with one grit until all of the scratches look the same. My trick I use when I think it's time to move up a grit is I'll find a scratch and see if I can make it go away by sanding it lightly. Do this on different areas of the plastic part and if you can't find a scratch that won't go away then it's time to move up. You need to wash everything between grits and completely change your water with every grit or else pieces grit that has worn off a coarser piece of sandpaper will get between your part and the finer sandpaper and will make scratches that are hard to remove with the finer grit. It's tempting to skip grits but you just make more work for yourself. Get 4 different grits minimum with your final grit being 2000 or finer.

Pick one direction and stay with it. It's tempting to criss-cross or go in swirls but don't. The only exception is the rubbing compound.

It's way easier than it sounds. I can polish a set of headlights in 40 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back