Contribute
Register

Any advice on this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finally starting to purchase parts and this is my list so far with quantities. I am needing to figure out a power supply still so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, if you happen to see anything I am forgetting or that I might want to change please let me know. This system will be used for video work and I don't want it to be lagging in Premiere or AfterEffects.

Thanks all in advance.

(0) NZXT h700i (PURCHASED)
(0) NZXT Kraken x62 (PURCHASED)
(0) EVGA - SC2 Gaming NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card (PURCHASED)

CPU:
(1) Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

MOTHERBOARD:
(1) ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

STORAGE:
(1) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
(1) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW

MEMORY:
(2) Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K16G4D26BFSC (White)

POWER:
(1) Will decide after the rest is set

Last edited:
Also, if you happen to see anything I am forgetting or that I might want to change please let me know. This system will be used for video work and I don't want it to be lagging in Premiere or AfterEffects.
What will you use for your graphics card ? Certainly not UHD 630 by Intel.

STORAGE:
(1) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
(1) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW

i don't know how your storage stacks up to this and the article below.
http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/M8Pe(Y)#/Features
https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...dup-tiny-drives-deliver-huge-performance.html

i think the systems work better with separate drives for the OS, the effects Library and the project, or you can save money and reduce performance by putting the Library and OS on the same drive. does anyone agree or disagree?

just to be sure we are on the same page, i wanted to go back a step:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ssd...69i65l2j0l3.8691j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

paraphrase:
SSDs are an upgrade over the older HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and they offer faster boot times, faster processing speeds but at a higher cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

quote:
is a computer bus interface that connects host bus adapters to mass storage devices such as hard disk drives, optical drives, and solid-state drives. Serial ATA succeeded the older Parallel ATA (PATA) standard,[a] offering several advantages over the older interface: reduced cable size and cost (seven conductors instead of 40 or 80), native hot swapping, faster data transfer through higher signaling rates, and more efficient transfer through an (optional) I/O queuing protocol. Although, a number of hot plug PATA offering were first invented and marketed by Core International beginning in the late 1980s for the Micro Channel architecture bus controllers.[3]

the question is not SATA vs SSD, but SATA vs M.2 and the hard drive that supports M.2

from the last link at bottom below, quote:
No, M.2 (pronounced M-dot-two) is not a government spy organization or secret project. It’s a small-form-factor (SFF) multi-purpose connector designed to replace the small mSATA and mini-PCIe slots commonly used in laptops. As such, M.2 isn’t designed strictly for storage, (it supports USB, SATA, and PCIe), but storage is a large part of what’s driving its adoption—even on the desktop.

and it’s not SATA vs SSD, it's HDD vs SSD

quote:
Like a memory stick, there are no moving parts to an solid state drive (SSD). Rather, information is stored in microchips. Conversely, a hard disk drive (HDD) uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head to move around and read information from the right location on a storage platter. This difference is what makes SSD so much faster than a hard disk.

and SSD vs m.2 SSD

https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...dup-tiny-drives-deliver-huge-performance.html

the best option is M.2 SSD, but they can create heat and use resources and therefor mother boards limit how many can be used and may require water cooling, as i understand it. i have not built a computer. make sure the mother board supports M.2 and if you want to use it as your start up drive (where the OS is), make sure the MB supports M.2 as a start up drive and supports everything you need in Mac OS X. i will not be able to tell you that, but someone else might. it may be a good idea to have a seperate project drive if you are doing video or music production, as i see you want to use Premiere or AfterEffects. so you might want to have a MB that supports 2 or 3 @ M.2 SSDs, but i don't know if any MB support 3 yet. be aware that there are i9 CPUs with more cores and threads that should help rendering in aftereffects, but you'll need to ask about Mac OS X support, perhaps you have the fastest supported CPU with the most cores and threads listed in your original post.

Last edited:
What would you say the best storage setup is? Is it ok to do all Ssd or should I use SATA for files and ssd for os?
for video rendering, which i assume AfterEffects does, i would use as fast of components in both the start up/OS drive and the project/files drive as you can and the price seems to have really come down for the M.2 drives. did i post the link? i was told by someone i trust that this http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/M8Pe(Y)#/Features is supported in Mac OS X. if you are only going to use one M.2 drive, i do not know if it should be the startup or project drive. i posted before this post, make sure you scroll up if you want to see it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back