Contribute
Register

Another Newbie Q - Ethernet Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have all of those options, and that's what I did last night. Once I restarted and the networks weren;t showing I added Ethernet and then added Wifi. Restarted and Ethernet still wasn't working (Wifi's been fine throughout), and then tried the Kext.

Is there something I should do to refresh or clear out these old install attempts?

Thanks!

Have you verified that Ethernet works under Windows or Linux? Just to be sure it is not a hardware problem (laptop ethernet jack, cable, router, switch, wall plate, etc.)

I added Ethernet and then added Wifi

OK. Great, so Ethernet kext is loading and interface is recognized.

Now, when you connect cable to the Ethernet, do you get a green LED to light up?
If yes, your physical connection to the switch is OK
If no, check your cable, switch, possible speed setup (if autoselect or manual)

If you pass physical test, how do you get IP address assigned (DHCP or manual?)
Your workplace may whitelist devices based on the hardware address or assign specific IP and subnet.

Another idea might be to boot verbose (-v) and keep an eye out for the kext being loaded, as it usually tries to assign an IP to the Mac address, and it takes a little while so you can usually spot it. There might be a timeout message if there's an error at that stage that could yield more info. You might suspect this is it is taking longer than you would think it should to boot.

All along the light was lighting up.. I followed all the steps you guys gave me and it didn't seem to work at home. I had it assigning IP through DHCP.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I quit on it for a couple of days and now all is working fine! I brought it to work and it immediately connected and is now working at home. I know there must have been something I was doing wrong, but rather than break it by trying to figure it out (I am an EXTREME newbie here), I'll just be happy it's working and leave it at that.

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Hi All,
just got my HP PB 4530s running ML 10.8.1 BIOS F.23 core i3-2350; Ethernet is Not working; tried delete using - and now I can not add Ethernet back; used pro book installer ver 5.1b1;
Also my battery and DVD is not recognized; looks like for my wifi I need order Atheros;
Please help! TIA!

Thanks

Hi,

I just installed ML last night and had a couple of the same issues..

My ethernet wasn't working, but when I used the installer from the ProBook Installer a second time and restarted it loaded fine. Like the guys said, make sure the green light is lit up when you plug it in, otherwise it could be a hardware issue.

I had trouble with my battery too, but I installed the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" (using Kext Wizard) that I found on this site (here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...appleintelcpupowermanagement-kext-10-8-a.html) and that cleared that issue up too.

Not sure about the DVD and I'm about as much of a newbie as they come, so I hope I've been of some assistance!

Something else that I found weird, when I selected 10.8.1 in the ProBook Installer I had a handful of issues (audio wasn't working, the battery issue, ethernet, graphic glitches, etc., etc.), but when I reinstalled and selected 10.7.4 it worked perfectly (with that powermanagement Kext). If you can't seem to find a resolution for the issues you're having, maybe try that. It's what got me up and running!

Good Luck!

Thanks Jennlaz for the tip! Used 10.7.4 and resolved DVD drive, sound, battery;

However Ethernet card is still not recognized. I don't think it is related to any hardware or my home network because I see green as well as when I booted first time from my hard disk as well as during the boot from ML USB the Ethernet was working perfect and I was able to connect to Internet without any issues( in fact it was lightening fast ).

I tried a clean install ( HD format + ML 10.3.8 ) one more time but still same issue. Looks like the issue is with installer or missing kext. Not sure if I need to replace my wifi card to Atheros. Is there anyway I can inspect my wifi card info with out opening the laptop or I Ned to try to boot using Ubuntu:(.

Thanks to all in this forum for contributing and hope some one had similar issue and post a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back