Contribute
Register

Andrew LB's First G5 Hackintosh Case Conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool back panel! Do you plan on using that low profile server cooler on your CPU still?

Holes drilled and countersunk... done.
Apply satin clear coat... done.

Hackintosh_BackplateCountersunk.jpg

I'm going to let that cure overnight and tomorrow I have to run to the hardware store and buy some proper machine screws to install the back plate. Definitely going to use screws that use a hex bit. The only thing really left after this is figuring out what I'm going to do about cooling. I'm thinking about installing 2x 140mm Corsair AF140 fans in the front but with them mounted a few inches behind the mesh because they wont fit up front plus I don't want the fans being quite so visible. Plus by using 2x 140mm fans, they completely fill the area so it will have excellent airflow.

Very cool back panel! Do you plan on using that low profile server cooler on your CPU still?

Nope. I'm not planning on using any of those components. They go back in my media server.

I think I'm going to buy that not yet released Asus Gryphon mATX board and an Intel Haswell based processor once they are available. I have an nVidia GTX 660ti that I may put in my current desktop system and take the GTX 680 to put into this Hackintosh. Or vice versa...

As for cooling, I have a Corsair H60 that needs a home as well as their new H80i in my desktop PC. I may put the H80i on the new Haswell chip depending on how hot it gets.

The only thing really left after this is figuring out what I'm going to do about cooling. I'm thinking about installing 2x 140mm Corsair AF140 fans in the front but with them mounted a few inches behind the mesh because they wont fit up front plus I don't want the fans being quite so visible. Plus by using 2x 140mm fans, they completely fill the area so it will have excellent airflow.

Two 140mm are the best possible cooling solution ;)

IMG_1622.jpg

...As for cooling, I have a Corsair H60 that needs a home as well as their new H80i in my desktop PC. I may put the H80i on the new Haswell chip depending on how hot it gets.

This how I mounted my H60 to the floor of the G5 case:
qMQ2nlZ.jpg

GXwuiwM.jpg

iUB4Pny.jpg

Very nice on the mounting design. I'm probably going to mount mine in the rear of the case where I cut that 120mm hole. Unfortunately that may not work well since it's the only exhaust (other than the graphics card) and temps may suffer some. On the other hand, having 2x 140mm fans pushing basically a wall of air the full height of the case, I think it shouldn't effect it much. And since that configuration results in much more air being pushed into the case than drawn out, the slight overpressure effect will work wonders in cooling all the other components not directly in the air stream.

I didn't get much done today unfortunately. Only had the time to secure the back plate to the back of the case with some machine screws. I also applied a very thin layer of "household goop" rubberized adhesive to the areas on the rear of the case where the plate will make contact. I do this because even with high end fans, vibration is pretty much guaranteed, especially when the fans begin to get dirty, and this will prevent any possible noise from the panel resonating against the case.

Hackintosh_BackPlateFinished.jpg

So far I'm quite pleased with this build. Especially since I haven't really encountered any serious snags which are all too common when having to fabricate so many parts.

/edit

...i shouldn't have said that last bit until everything was finished. doh! /facepalm

Put in some more work today. I decided for at least the time being to use a pair of 120mm white bladed low RPM fans from Gelid for the front intake since I had them laying around. Like I said earlier, I wanted to keep them back a ways from the front grill so they aren't spotted immediately when looked at, and I wanted to use as many original G5 parts as possible, so I decided on chopping up the PCI divider as well as the front fan duct and adapting it for 120mm fans.

The part I used from the PCI divider is the notch where the duct is secured. I than attached 4 very long standoffs which originally belonged to an old thermalright heatsink. My original idea about how to use this piece of the divider didn't work which resulted in the aluminum being pretty beat up, so I ended up painting it with the same Krylon Light Pewter Gray I used on the PSU, and attached using some 2-part epoxy (which I will clean up tomorrow so it doesn't look so messy).

Hackintosh_FanBracketHolder.jpg

And for the fans... I first epoxied them together, then chopped up the G5 front duct, and epoxied the two sections to the fans as seen below.

Hackintosh_FanDuct.jpg

And here they are slid into their new home...

Hackintosh_FanDuctInstalled.jpg

I wanted to set the fans as best I could to close the gap between them and the clear side panel. There is a gap, but it could be worse.

Hackintosh_FansInstalled.jpg

Now that I think about it... two 140mm fans would have been an absolutely perfect fit with the way I installed these. I may have to drop the cash and get those two 140mm Corsair fans soon and re-do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back