Contribute
Register

An error occurred while extracting files from the package "Essentials.pkg".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wasted an entire day , making thumb drives, using other machines, finally found this thread,

my MB is a GAH81M-HD2,16g ddr3 1600 works fine for all others, and I too have a Sandisk SSD, (128gb Extreme) so i swapped it to another drive 500g data 2.5 drive had lying around, installed that, booted EFI mode different error, maybe it is ram, I'm running 16g corsair ddr3 1600, just tired of messing with it.

I've tried the repartition, swapped drives, etc, rebuilt the damn usb disk like 15 times, different usb drives, ugh just pissed at it. hopefully someone has a good theory. thought it was SSD, or maybe ram, who knows... mine still won't install. well back to CCC it back to Yosemite... that worked great.

EUREKA!

so after getting totally pissed, I said F it and installed Windows 10, its free, well it too had all sorts of errors and strange things happening, so I thought hmmmm, let me go get a 2gb ram chip of some different brand, i did, spent like 20$ and low and behold it worked fine. so RAM, if you have multiple modules, remove them, it is possible its bad and you just don't know it.

After the install i installed my 16g chips (2x8) back in and it worked fine, until I started loading it up with usage, then it would act weird, KP, etc. thought i was going nuts, took one chip out and it worked great, ran a mom tester and boom, failed. so it was ram.

Hope yours works!

I was able to get around this error by removing 3 out of the 4 RAM sticks in my MOBO.

I Put Clover a USB stick , Put it along with another USB Stick having the OSX

Booted from Clover USB Stick , Chose the first choice which is Loading OSX

Installation started , then removed the Clover USB Stick

Done

I want to also chime in that RAM was the issue for me. I did a clean install of El Capitan; the install would constantly restart around 7 minutes left, then eventually gave me the "Essentials.pkg" error. I removed three 4GB sticks of ram, leaving only one 4GB stick in and was able to install successfully. Thanks, all, for sharing the RAM solution.

Hi everyone, I,too, am getting the Essentials.pkg error message everytime I try installing El Capitain on my Hackintosh PC, so far everything I have tried hasn't worked, I've tried changing Ram Sticks, I've tried all the suggested Boot Flags, everything short of trying a different usb Thumbdrive, nothing has worked, I have tried looking at the contents of the usb Thumbdrive with a working Windows 10 64Bit PC and noticed that there's only 11.1Mb of Data on it, the Thumbdrive has a capacity of 16Gb, so I'm wondering what the extra space is for?, I did a search of the contents of the Thumbdrive for the file "Essentials.pkg" but could not find it.

I too was getting this error. After swapping SSDs, replacing memory, and updating BIOS I finally got it working with by installing 10.10.3 on a spare SSD and redownloading 10.11.5 again and recreating the unibeast 6.2.0 USB installer. I also ran 10.10.3 diskutility on SSD as well, since the new 10.11.5 diskutility confuses me.

I just boot up to the new El Capitan install USB and everything went without a hitch. Didn't even need boot flags.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 V2.0 - BIOS F10c Beta
i3-4370
2GB DDR3-1333 generic G.Skill RAM (no heatsinks) Single stick.

How do you verify .dmg files after downloading to make sure they are good? Like MD5 I used in windows before. Same with after installed to USB.

Same error. Tried everything (re download, a lot of USB creating, remove/change RAM, partitioning SSD).
My configuration:

-Gigabyte Z97P-D3 with Pentium G3258 and 8GB (4+4) of GEIL DDR3-1333 RAM

I thing it's something related to El Capitan, because with 10.10 I never had a problem. I've no other hardware connected, no additional disks, and only a NVIDIA GT 730 working (with nv_disable=1 boot flag).

For anyone still having this issue with gigabyte motherboards it's the RAM. Remove all but one stick and it should work!

For anyone still having this issue with gigabyte motherboards it's the RAM. Remove all but one stick and it should work!

Did this (and just about every other proposed fix in this thread) and still nothing. Kind of at my wits end after a week of trying to make this work. :banghead: Have made and remade countless USBs, tried different recommended bios for my mb, took out all but one stick of ram, tried different flags... nothing. Not sure where to go from here, anyone else still having issues with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back