Contribute
Register

AMD RX 580 - Any brand is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that now. It been quite a few years since I built a system. Back when a 450 watt PSU (300 was then most common) was more then you'd ever need. but I think I'm dating myself. :) I've learned the hard way not to go cheap. The Thermaltake case looks pretty nice. I'm going to have to take a close look at that. Thanks.

The XFX RX580 is officially supported as an eGPU by Apple. That's why they're in the current buyer's guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/july/2018/#(NEW)_AMD_Graphics_Cards

The XFX RX560s do have problems with the vBIOS and macOS so those should be avoided. Use other brands than XFX if you want a 560.

Kevin was only asking about the RX580s not the 560s. So your answer could be misleading. The XFX RX580 can be used.

If the price of the Sapphire Pulse is lower, I would definitely choose that over the XFX brand even though both will work.

I already bought a XFX RX 580 8GB and is working perfect in my hackintosh, I tested in MAC OS Hihg Sierra 10.13.6, and Mojave 10.14.0/.1/.2 and no problems and all ports working...

I already bought a XFX RX 580 8GB and is working perfect in my hackintosh, I tested in MAC OS Hihg Sierra 10.13.6, and Mojave 10.14.0/.1/.2 and no problems and all ports working...
Hey, what setup do you have on your High Sierra to get your XFX Rx580 to work? I have the same gpu and I am having troubles booting, essentially getting looping boots. I haven’t done anything to the graphics card, just more that i tried different settings in my efi and clover configuration.

Hey, what setup do you have on your High Sierra to get your XFX Rx580 to work? I have the same gpu and I am having troubles booting, essentially getting looping boots. I haven’t done anything to the graphics card, just more that i tried different settings in my efi and clover configuration.

Well you can check my signature yeah I am using a XFX, the first thing is I had to update the latest bios in my motherboard... and set it csm off, or only uefi boot, without csm. If CSM is on, I had a lot of trouble... other thing you have to have the intel igpu in headless mode, checking your signature you have 7th gen, you can set it up really easily... and the smbios has to be iMac18,3. With all this things my XFX is working perfect... the latest Lilu + Whatevergreen + AppleALC and yep with HDMI Audio...

Well you can check my signature yeah I am using a XFX, the first thing is I had to update the latest bios in my motherboard... and set it csm off, or only uefi boot, without csm. If CSM is on, I had a lot of trouble... other thing you have to have the intel igpu in headless mode, checking your signature you have 7th gen, you can set it up really easily... and the smbios has to be iMac18,3. With all this things my XFX is working perfect... the latest Lilu + Whatevergreen + AppleALC and yep with HDMI Audio...

I got my GPU working, thanks for the advice. I downgraded my GPU's BIOS to the 2017.4.10 date from techpowerup. I suppose it was by luck, because I was thinking that the GPU bios may had something to do with it. EFI setup is very similar!

Raftrix86 and friends.

In the current buyer's guide (tonymacx86) on AMD Graphics Cards, the XFX model appears:
XFX - AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black RX-580P8DBDR.

What is the model of your XFX?

The XFX model:
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8gb 256bit GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Double Dissipation, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, PCI-E AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6)

It's compatible with Mojave?

Tks.
Hopefully I am not over stepping Raftrix86's boundaries. However, it seems that he has the GTS Black edition. I had the GTS XXX edition (similar from your link) and had problems with booting with High Sierra and Mojave. However, after changing my GPU BIOS to the GTS Black edition (Dated 12 March 2017) using AMD/ATI Flash, I was able to boot with no problems (both High Sierra and Mojave). I have full sleep/wake capabilities, not sure how to check HDMI audio. My BIOS reflash leads me to believe that the GTS Black edition is an officially OOB for High Sierra and Mojave.

Now this is just my speculation, there are other variables to it, such as his hardware build being different from mine. I would say if you decide for the GTS XXX Edition and you have no luck booting, try my route.

Flash through Windows obviously.
By Downloading these:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192614/xfx-rx580-8192-170412
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Then Following this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html

PS:
I tried the GTS Black edition BIOS dated 2017-04-10 and I was able to boot with both High Sierra and Mojave, however I get issues with the screen prior to loading an OS (Windows or OSX) and after loading everything seems like nothing happened. By no means I am no expert within the GPU realm, but it was wearisome, try not to use that BIOS.

Are ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI proper for RX 580? They are the only three that can be easily found here in Taiwan.

Hi all, i'm about to upgrade my gpu too, from gtx 760 to rx 580
After reading some posts her, i'm wondering if my smbios will need to be changed or not , at the moment set to iMac 14.2 late 2013, (and afaik rx580 were out in 2017), so as i want to prepare this gpu change i thought someone here could tell me about that. ( btw, my motherboard is rather "old" ->ga h67m d2 b3)

My hardware is pretty ok now. The next step is a new GPU.
I mainly use my machine for video and audio post production.
I want less complication in a stable High Sierra installation without too many patches and fixes, I heard that Rx 580 is great for that matter. I have already a `native´ GPU (GTX 760) but I still have some problems with its ability to use CUDA, some screen glitches here and there and OpenCL working okay, but not great (with some crashes in Adobe suit).

My question is, do I need to get a Sapphire Rx 580 Pulse or any other brand is fine as well?
I have a good opportunity to get a Gigabyte Rx 580 Gaming for a good price, does anyone already tested it with High Sierra?

My setup:
H370N-WIFI (with a crazy adapter for the new CNVi-Wifi to BCM94360CS2)
i7 8700
GTX760
16Gb 2400Mhz
SSD 10.13.5 High Sierra
SSD Windows 10
PSU 650W

Cheers guys!
You said a crazy adapter for the BCM94360CS2. Can you tell me what this crazy adapter is, because I got an adapter for that card that is not working. I have the same motherboard as you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back