Contribute
Register

AMD RX 580 - Any brand is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one time I had 5 displays connected at the same time - IIRC I posted a pic of the About This Mac Graphics/Displays screen somewhere here on the forum.
Thx & wow, this is that relaxing info I was looking for greatly :clap:

Thx & wow, this is that relaxing info I was looking for greatly :clap:
Looks as if I spoke too soon. When I connected 5 displays before I was running Sierra or HS. Mojave is only able to use the 2 DP farthest from the PCIe pins. Connecting a 3rd DP (next to the HDMI) or the DVI in addition results in erratic mouse behavior and flickering screens, along with the spinning rainbow ball. I do not have an HDMI handy to test that port.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.49.47 AM.png

Hi,
I have a fully working Mojave since I changed to the proper SMBIOS and using my GTX 650 with enabled iGPU in headless mode. Everything is very stable while grading in Davinci Resolve, but I would like to move futher and get an RX 580 8GB.
Unfortunatelly the Sapphire Pulse is not an option in my country, the Sapphire Nitro+ is a little too long to my case and it is much more expensive than an Aourus Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8GB I've recently found and the latter is short enough as well.
I've read mixed opinion about different brands other than Sapphire and searched a lot, but I did not find a straightforward review about this one. If anyone has the Gigabyte version and have some good/bad experiences (working ports etc.), please share it briefly with me.
Should I get a Sapphire or the Gigabyte will be fine?
Thanks a lot!

So many users don't share the final conclusion about their question, but I will now for the common knowledge :)
Thanks for everyone was answering me!
I had two chance to get the Gigabyte RX580 (they are getting rare in my country), but in the last minute both was purchased almost literally in front of me. Luckily I was able to try a Sapphire Nitro if it fits to my case as it is quite big , but somehow we managed it with the seller, so finally I've got now a Nitro. (the smaller Pulse is even more rare)
With Lilu and WEG everything is working OOB, except the well known purple issue with the DVI (does not seem hard to fix it), but the 2 HDMI and the 2 DP just fine. Nonetheless I'm sorry I could not get the Gigabyte version as I like their products.

Looks as if I spoke too soon. When I connected 5 displays before I was running Sierra or HS. Mojave is only able to use the 2 DP farthest from the PCIe pins. Connecting a 3rd DP (next to the HDMI) or the DVI in addition results in erratic mouse behavior and flickering screens, along with the spinning rainbow ball. I do not have an HDMI handy to test that port.

View attachment 450380

I was able to test only two ports in paralell (1 DP and 1 HDMI same time, does not matter which one). But regarding to Going Bald's experience I will try if my Nitro can handle 3+ displays.

I am attaching 2 pictures, there is only a paperthin distance between the case and the card, but I am happy I could put it in without cutting out the case :)

Here is my research about the sizes, maybe it will be helpfull for someone:

Gigabyte aorus radeon rx 580 23,2 cm
XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 27 cm
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 23 cm
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 26 cm
PowerColor rx580 25,5 cm

It's good to know the Nitro+ covers a bit the 2nd PCI below too. I am planning to use only a Blackmagic Card in the second PCI-E, so it's fine for me.

Last thought: the RX580 with 8GB is great for working in Resolve, quick and snappy.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 98
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back